How much will this oxblood set bring?

This is one of the people from Idaho selling all of the fake Popeye and other boxes from Art Jones. This is very suspect as well. The inserts are new, there is yellow paper taped and wrapped in weird ways all over this box under the top lid. It's too bad, no matter how many times you warn people they still paid $800 for the fake Popeye boxes. Nice marbles though. But nothing that rare or hard to come by.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, spara50 said:

This is one of the people from Idaho selling all of the fake Popeye and other boxes from Art Jones . . .

I don't want people to get the wrong idea about this, so just to be clear, as far as I know (and I did know Art) Art didn't make "fake boxes" that were intended to deceive.  About that oxblood box, for example, close examination will tell you that the basic box is original, although the top, especially, has been heavily repaired -- in a way that is intended to be not terribly distracting.  Maybe it was backfilled, maybe it was not.  Maybe it was partially backfilled.  Who knows.

Art became interested in repairing old boxes with the closest materials to the originals that he could find -- and occasionally he created obvious fantasy boxes for fun -- the four Peltier "Smiley" boxes for example, three with fantasy labels (which he sold at a show) and one with no label which he kept for himself, and later gave to me.  The boxes he repaired he generally kept for himself.

The sellers may not be aware of the true nature of some of Art's boxes -- he had over 300 at one time, he told me . . .

Smiley Box 2.jpg