Hybrid cats eyes??

Mikie_T

Hello everyone....

I recently picked these up at the antique store. When I saw them, I thought they were different looking. Not like the usual cats eye marbles. 

SO, just so I know, are these hybrid cats and were they made by Vitro?

HC 4.JPG

HC 3.JPG

HC 2.JPG

HC 1.JPG

Good deal.... I saw something similar on the net. I wanted to have y'all confirm for me so I could file these in my memory bank. 

Are these early Vitros?

About when did they make these hybrid cats? (And how the heck did they do it?)

Ahhhhhh.... I might have to google this issue to see if anything turns up.

The way the colors fade in the vanes is just wild. I have never been much of a cat fan but I like these. 

I also like the ones with more than 4 vanes and multi colors. Red, white and blue is always a good one to pick up.

Sometimes google can be your friend.......LOL.

I found this explanation online....

"Glass, when heated, can be made to behave like taffy or clay: it can be stretched, cut, rolled, and shaped just like a child might stretch, cut, roll, or shape those things.

To make balls of clay, you'd first stretch or roll the clay out to the rough diameter of the balls you were trying to make. Then you'd pinch off pieces and roll them between your hands to form balls. The same technique is used to mass-produce glass marbles, but the steps are performed by machines instead of kids.

If a marble is to be a solid color, or just clear, the clear or colored glass is heated, stretched, cut, and rolled to produce the marbles. 

For cat-eyes, clear glass is used, but as the glass is stretched, small streams of colored glass are inserted at the center. As the glass is cut, the colored pieces are cut too, which is why they are 'pinched' at the ends. Once these little chunks of glass, with their colored centers, are cut, they are rolled into balls. That rolling leads to the slightly twisted shape."

FUN...FUN....FUN.

More from wiki.....

"For example, in the "cat's-eye" style, colored glass veins are injected into a transparent main stream. Applying more expensive colored glass to the surface of cheaper transparent or white glass is also a common technique."

I wanna see it happening.....

I don't think Marble King lets people see their cat's eyes being made.  You have a chance of seeing swirls being made.  The investors who do runs at Dave's Appalachian Swirls would probably let you tag along.  Jabo might allow spectators also -- not sure.  

This line, "colored glass veins are injected into a transparent main stream" ... made more sense than "as the glass is stretched, small streams of colored glass are inserted at the center" ... because "stretching" sounds like handmade.  And I'm pretty sure we're talking about "streams" flowing somehow.

There actually is at least one person who makes cat's eyes by hand -- Ray Laubs  @raynsandy

Started saving these when they were worth almost nothing. Loved the way they look. now have about 2 gallons of them. Seems like they are in about every batch of mibs I buy at estate sales and auctions

John