Marbles questions?

DINDO

A marble friend, Don, sent me these pictures as examples of what collectors may call Aces:

The base is sort of milky, but doesn't have the orange glow which the official Akro company Ace had:  

Here are the ones he showed as basic Ace shooters.

gallery_279_50_25649.jpg

Here's a more fancy variety.  He called these Tomato Ace Cork Shooters.

gallery_279_50_31313.jpg

The name that Akro sold them under was Moss Agate.  (For Akro, Moss Agates could be patches, or they could swirly/corky marbles.)   But it's a pretty solid tradition for collectors to call this kind Aces.

This is the kind of cat's eye which is often called a St.  Marys.   There are other combos which are legit St. Marys.  And there are some modern ones which are reminiscent of the vintage St. Marys, but I'll leave it at this for now.   Maybe someone else can show more pix or give an explanation.  Do you have any particular marbles that you had questions about?

SUmsvB6.jpg

Thanks Steph,much obliged.

The aces is going to take some time to reread and digest. This info is great.

I dont have a particular cat eye in mind. I was contemplating going through the bucket again to see if there may be some St Marys. I have already pulled out unusual colours or odditys. I am going to make a cat eye display. The thought of looking through 1500 cat eyes again is a bit daunting. But..probbly will slowly but surely. So far i have a modern Mexico/Asia display, 2 vintage America, German handmade, Euro machine. Think the cats deserve their day. This hobby keeps growing somehow 😁

The Ace explanation and pics were great. Seems straight forward and easy to understand . Hopefully i will recognise one now.

The cats seem to have a common trait of the same colour vein passing through to opposite side.

1 question

How did Jabo " Marleys" get their name?

For the two-color St. Marys, that is the intended pattern. The divisions aren't always sharp and some people like the sort of hybrid look.  I was trained to think the clean divisions were ideal. There were also four-color St. Marys.  I posted one of course.  Pretty sure there were other combinations.  If I recall correctly, Don (Poplarhead) has a wide variety.   Could have been someone else.  Maybe Mike? (mmuehlba)

Here's what a collector named Joe Schlemmer posted on behalf of the Marleys investors back in 2010:

Mary E. Knudsen,
Al W. Sumner,
& Richard M. See
have joined with Jabo, inc.,
with the wonderful assistance of
Dave McCullough
& Joanne Argabrite,
to produce our own 
limited edition run Called Jabo Marley.

Marley is an old english word for marbles.
By happy coincidence, the name also represents
we three investors

M = Mary
A = Al
R = Rick
add the "l-e-y-s" and we have the jabo marleys

Dindo, an Ace example will have a (translucent) whitish base, some example a deeper translucent than others, almost to an opaque, you can get some light thru the translucency base.  St Marys cats eyes will for most part have the internal vanes a (cross thru) look to them, some may be wavey a little also. Take your hands and close them flat, fingers all together, then hold one on top of the other, this is what a St Marys will look like.  St Marys did make some really super nice cats eyes. I will add also with the Ace factor in akro that some akro did have colored Ace base glass. Some may consider this (NOT) an ace but i would, but that is me.  Chuck G--