How to get kids into the hobby

schmoozer

we Periodically sell a variety of my collectibles at local antique shows. Our kids want nothing to do with what we collect, so we focus on kids at shows, giving away coins, marbles, and small knives. WITH THE PARENTS APPROVAL!!

At this weekends show, we are giving kids a bag of assorted coins and marbles, along with a cigar box to keep them in.

I remember, when marbles were making a come back where I lived (one or two decades ago-lol) and schools soon after started banning marbles because the marbles that the kids had would splinter into dangerous shards.  I don't remember kids splintering marbles back when I was in elementary school, about 4 decades ago.  

About ten years ago I gave some marbles away to a cub scout mother for a marbles badge the boys could earn.  But I don't think that badge is available anymore.

The most active  marble recruiter I know of  is Rich Maxwell who helps students build marble runs at schools.  I see him posting about various marble activities on facebook. Here is his website. 

https://marblekeeper.com/?fbclid=IwAR3Redc8-d4DTNG8Q5utBjGekEL_NeSy5Fyuo1_0zqa7EHiMzgIB1J998bk

Our show was a success! Gave away 15 bags of marbles  and cigar boxes. We had one lady elated that we were there. Gave her 2 kids bags last year, and she had promised to buy them more this year. I gave her 2 bags, and she paid for 2 cigar boxes. Her kids left the first 2 bags of mibs every where, and the cigar boxes answered her prayers for solving that issue.

The looks on the kids faces when getting a bag was priceless...

Agree, give the kids all the marbles they want, well, up to a point. I make sure that all the kids who come to the shows here i make sure they leave with a bag full. Love doing that, as you should see the excitement on their little faces. Chuck G---

• 3 weeks later...