Cobalt Blue

Berryb

I got this marble with my first pile that started my collection 30 years ago. It's always been one of my favorites. It's just a touch over 1/2 inch. I think it's actual cobalt glass. I read somewhere that most of the cobalt used in glass manufacture came from Germany, and that after WW1 no true cobalt glass was made in the U.S. I could be wrong, but if I'm right my guess is it was made in Europe. What do you think? Thanks

Bruce

cobalt2.JPG

cobalt3.JPG

cobalt1.JPG

I would not suppose German on this one. 

Based on the pattern I would lean toward West Virginia swirl ... the bulk of which were made in the 1930's and 1940's.  

But I am not an expert on those, and there are non-WV possibilities.

I would say Cairo Novelty swirl. Made in Cairo WV about 1946-1950. They are making cobalt blue glass in the US, probably today or weekly. I guess that may depend on exactly what pure or true cobalt blue glass is.  Your marble was machine made. Most or older German marbles were hand made one at a time on a rod. Machine made marbles are made at 250 per minute. Many different shades of blue glass is probably the most used color in machine made marbles. 

My mom who was into glass, especially art glass showed me the test for true cobalt glass a long time ago. Hold it up to sunlight, the light that projects through onto your hand will be more purple than blue. it's kinda odd considerin' how blue the glass itself looks, but when you see it, it's  unmistakable. This marble passes that test. Thanks

Bruce