My Heaton marble dig

My  love of WV  area marbles left me wanting to see if I could find examples of the diff. companies that worked in that area. I saw the Heaton topic, showing the naming of Heaton marbles from a dig & started looking for some of them on ebay.  I found one site that was putting  several  Heaton marbles up for auction, bid & got what I thought might be a broad sampling. Just yesterday I saw the video of the Heaton site dig, & was washed over wit envy, wishing I could have been there. As it worked out, my first batch of Heaton marbles came that afternoon, my little ebay dig. Did I do OK?           I tried for a Blackberry, a Robins Egg, a Cucumber, a Volcano, A Voodo, & was outbid on the Blue Denim, The rest sort of came along because liked them & I had a couple like them, & if they were certified as Heaton, then I didn't have to bother you all to ID my swirls, probably a boring task for you, but we new folks "just want to know".   Just a note: the 8:00 marble in the 5 group has a more  aqua  transparent base then I could capture.  The marble that doesn't move for several frames doesn't move, because it's back is only white: those marbles that look black, really are a purple, or dark red, & the one I wanted to be Voodo was a wonderful bubble filled transparent citrus color on my cell phone flashlight, a real sup😮rise ( as you see, Steph, you unleashed my inner emoji) lol, Bonnie

#43.jpg

#43a.jpg

#43b.jpg

#43c.jpg

#43d.jpg

#44.jpg

#44a.jpg

#44b.jpg

#44c.jpg

Thankful that the new owner allowed us to save these. I saw marbles during every dig that none of had ever seen before. Plus I have dug at Heaton off and on for 20 years. But never got three and four feet deep before.  Lots of good friends from several different states took part in the digs.  I made it to each and every one from daylight until dark each time.  Lots of people had enough by 12 to 2 pm and left tired and wore out.  Digging marbles any place is getting very close to being all in the past.  

I'm so glad to have been able to dig Heaton. Good to see so much unknown stuff come out of the ground that helped get marbles out of our unknown swirls boxes. Heaton was so fun to dig, I loved hitting that vein of marbles, the fellowship with other diggers, and the terrific friends made in the process. We laughed, talked until the early morning hours, looked at countless marbles, got a gun pulled on us, and all sorts of memorable things :D Life memories. Val says it's one of her favorite things she's ever done in her life too.

When I was in the 6th grade to 8th grade, myself & 2 others would pack a lunch , tell our moms we were going to ea. others house & meet just at the edge of Zanesville's abandoned strip mine, went on a logging road through the woods, ate our peanut butter sandwiches halfway down the cliff in a weathered-out cliff cave, took our empty paper bags, climbed down  the rest of the cliff, crossed the road & went tile digging in the Zanesville tile dump site by the Muskingum River. I was thrilled when I found an in. sq., scarlett-to-orange tile along with a Gold one & a silver one, all the same spot. We always found some treasure; a broken fireplace surround strip in mottled brn-grn., a chipped tile with a perfect raised deco flower, etc. & always went home with a full bag of tile pieces- & no one ever chased us off. I share your emotion over that first sight of "a keeper" Then we discovered boy & horses , got active in 4-H, but I have never lost the love of a good treasure hunt.....PS, we went 'dumping 3 or 4 times a summer, & our parents never knew, as long as we were back by supper....those were the good ol' days

Do any of these Heaton marbles have names? The blue & tan one was labeled a Rotten Robin, but the video by Stephen B. showed a diff. version of a Rotten Robin, and is the green one a Cucumber, & would you call the blended brown/tan a ribbon or a snake? It's all one piece. And are there 2 Blackberrys, though one is purple & wh,, while the other is purple with bands having light lavender, light purple & what almost looks like a purplish tan together. The rusty brown/red one I just call "mine" 

Not sure on the I.D.'s but they sure look good for dug mibs Bonnie. I think the green clear base w/ whitish swirls is the cucumber and just below it the black base w/ purple swirls was named by Stephen B., A beauty berry. I'm not positive, just going by the pics Chuck posted and Stephens video. I believe almost the entire first batch you have are named mibs. Best wait for Ron or Chuck to chime in, I just had to throw my 2 cents in. " GOOD FUN " :thup:

Chad G.

The blue and tan is a Robins Egg. The Rotten Robins Egg is more blue base and a dark redish brown swirl. The green and white is the Cucumber. The dark purple base and lavender swirl is the Beauty Berry and hard to find.  Heatons are all swirls or cat eyes. Snake is usually only attributed with Akro. Ribbon is usually a more straight line of color in a patch and ribbon marble. Or just a ribbon marble like a Pelt Citrus has six ribbons. Sometimes a normal ribbon marble or patch and ribbon marble will twist like a swirl. Most of the marbles with ribbons are Peltier, Vitro, MK, Akro, etc.  The Heaton Blackberry is a dark purple, black looking base with purple swirl and some contain a small amount of white along with the purple swirl.  Check out the named Heaton's thread here by Chuck(cheese). He did a great job with the pictures and actual items that the marbles were named from. Pictures are better than trying to type words into colors.  

Well whadya know I finally got a few right. I don't have to apologize for a wrong guess this time.  My short term memory must not be as decayed as I thought it was "I think" Ron is right Chuck S. is doing a killer job w/ the pics and descriptions, I was and am impressed, and hungry !!

Yep, I see a Cucumber, Blackberry, Beautyberry, and a Robin egg. The red one I can't really tell if it's a Volcano. I can't tell if that's a tan or white ribbon with it. The volcano needs to have tan with it and they have transparent clear or smoky clear in them which I'm not seeing in that one. I've found some that look more like yours too and think they are very nice Heatons but not the volcanos and not as common as volcanos. 

The rusty red marble has what I would call a tan tracer line along side ea. wh. ribbon, and the transparent red that you see on the surface dives down & becomes the dark areas that looks black in the marble, but is actually dark like some ox-blood looks, & when i put the marble on my cell phone light, the entire red is transparent cherry red- a really complicated marble