Random Shooters

Jabachunkie375

18 hours ago, wvrons said:

Zero.  The number one thing with marbles is condition, condition.  No matter how old, new or rare, condition matters. 

....here here ! 

Sometimes I think Marbles in Great condition are seriously under appreciated. I can tell you it’s a 10:1 ratio of bad condition marbles to collectible quality marbles out here on the hunting trail and that’s optimistic, really.  

6 hours ago, Greeneyesgreenthumbs said:
On 4/27/2021 at 10:18 PM, wvrons said:

Zero.  The number one thing with marbles is condition, condition.  No matter how old, new or rare, condition matters. 

....here here ! 

Sometimes I think Marbles in Great condition are seriously under appreciated. I can tell you it’s a 10:1 ratio of bad condition marbles to collectible quality marbles out here on the hunting trail and that’s optimistic, really.  

Expand  

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much. Could you still ID them?

You are correct about some of them being moss agates.

The top marble is a Peltier Rainbo.  

The second marble is a clearie.

Then you have  three moss agates.

Then the swirl with the aqua ribbons might be an Alley.  

And the last marble is technically another moss agate.  That's what Akro called it.  But modern collectors might call it a blue eggyolk.  

30 minutes ago, Steph said:

You are correct about some of them being moss agates.

The top marble is a Peltier Rainbo.  

The second marble is a clearie.

Then you have  three moss agates.

Then the swirl with the aqua ribbons might be an Alley.  

And the last marble is technically another moss agate.  That's what Akro called it.  But modern collectors might call it a blue eggyolk.  

Thanks for being so helpful! I could take some better pictures of the aqua one you're not sure of if that'd help.

7 hours ago, Jabachunkie375 said:

Thanks for being so helpful! I could take some better pictures of the aqua one you're not sure of if that'd help.

:) 

It's what is known as a West Virginia Swirl.  That much is for sure.  But there were about ten companies in West Virginia making swirls, including the Alley Agate company.  (Ron would know the exact number.  I haven't counted them up in awhile.)  So it can be tricky to know which of the swirl companies made it.   I think "good chance Alley" but that's the best I would be able to do even with more pictures.  

Others are better at swirls than I am!

2 hours ago, Steph said:

Wait! You said shooter?  What size?  The closer a vintage swirl gets to one inch, the closer it gets to being a slam dunk Alley.   :thup:

59 minutes ago, wvrons said:

Size helps. An official shooter is 3/4 inch. Some people call 7/8 inch and one inch marbles shooters. These larger ones are also called Boulders. 

It's 7/8 inch

• 2 weeks later...