I need the assistance of an expert #11

Massmarbler

Pelt used Ox at times. Used to be If it wasn't MFC or Akro it wasn't Oxblood, but those days are gone.  Any body could buy Ox from a glass manufacturer. I believe the difference is MFC and Akro made their own and other marble Co.s had to buy it. Another thing is, some do not consider it Ox unless it is on or near the surface. I do not agree, Ox is glass and can go anywhere on, or in, a mib any other glass can go. But since Ox is more expensive it makes sense to have it on the surface where it can be seen. Discussions (and arguments) about Ox can go long into the night. Thanks

Bruce

I think the ox happens by accident.

Oxblood is a copper based coloring, as are some blues and greens.  Not sure about the reds, but when I see ox in them I guess they must have been.  

So I think the ox just happens sometimes when people were trying to get those other colors.

• Award 1

It sure does just happen. Not always planned.  Some aventurine just happens, not planned.  Most times two certain glass types and colors of broken up glass cullet added equal amounts 50% each to the furnace can make nice oxblood. As good as any Akro made. I did it many times at Jabo and Sammy's Mountain marbles.  Brain Graham in OH ,makes some nice true oxblood glass.  He has made some nice bricks with it. Not every thing planned shows up in or on a marble. Sometimes a unexpected nice surprise shows up.