Need opinions please

SherryFain

Hope this is ok to ask but these have been offered to me.. he wants me to make an offer.. I don’t want to insult him or overpay and I know there’s so much more knowledge here than I hold so I thought this would be a good place to ask for opinions.. if these were offered to you, what would you be comfortable paying? 

4F0BE375-BCDE-4432-96E4-2F0A136F6A8F.jpeg

BFDA1AF3-A161-4402-93C8-E5A4D499FD0A.jpeg

To me there is nothing there with much value at all. Modern stuff and one common type German handmade. I don't think I would give more than $20 for it all and would probably pass on it at that. For a new collector it might be more attractive.

• Award 1

I like that Sharp Shooter Marbles bag.  That's the most interesting item to me.  I would personally bid $20 on it if I had the chance.

For the Globos Marmeln, I might be willing to pay over $10. 

I guess I might go $5 per bag for those other bags.    I wish I could make out what's in the yellow mesh at the bottom. 

The German one is common but looks like it may be a good size, which I would also be willing to pay up to $20 for but I might be overpaying as far as current market value.

Now that I'm about ready to post, I see Chuck's answer, and it completely matches what I expected a seasoned collector would say.   I was trying to give an answer from the point of view of someone without a large collection already.   And Chuck addressed that also. 

P.s.,  I really do like that Sharp Shooter bag header.

• Award 1

1 hour ago, Alan said:

The vast majority is ballast.

The handmade pic is out of focus, so I can't estimate condition.  All the same - its a common.

Anything over $20 is charity.

“Ballast”, love the term!!! Also shorter to type than “slingshot ammo”.

Never buy a handmade like this without seeing the pontils--no matter the size.

Recognizing polished marbles is something that takes time to see.

Do not get me wrong, polished marbles do hold some value but usually only in the larger sized or more rare examples.

Polished machine-mades are becoming more and more common, polished hand mades have been around for awhile, many years. The rarer that they become, the more that you may be fooled or decieved.

I must admit that I have been tempted by many "cullet marbles" that were gound and polished out of original cullet from various marble makers. The only one that I wish that I would have won and lost was from Houze Glass cullet--who never made marbles.(I collect Houze glass and it was excellant)

Many years ago, I took my wife along to a marble show, she purchased a marble for me while I was dealing elseware, only to present it as a birthday present later in the year. It was/is a "Black" and Yellow Popeye. I am still sad to say that my first reaction was oh s---thhi--this one is polished---ooops for sure----for sure---.( I still display it and love it for the thought) I had looked at this sellers stuff and walked away knowingly--he did not represent them as they were--scumbag(SCUMBAG!!!!)seller back then----rare but present then---even more so in todays world and in the online world that we live in.

You always have to be in the know and this is one of few place's to be sure of your questions about anything before you pay money regarding marbles.

Great question and keep coming back with more before you buy anything that you are unsure of.

This may derserve a post in it's own----polished macine mades and polished handmades--especially for those who have not experienced these in hand.

I could go one with my own opinion of polished machine mades but this is a respectable and well read post board. I will continue to respect all opinions of any collectors and try to keep my teeth in.

Marble--On and respect to all on as well!!

The one that you show looks "polished" to me.

Marble--On!!!

• Like 1