Red and Green

Melissa

The green is washed out overexposed, and the red does not have enough light.  Light must be coming from only the sides or sides and back. The green should be darker more solid looking and the striping should be a nice red and orange/brown.   The background still has the blue tint. That is probably from the light bulb you are using. Some put off a blue tint, some put off a yellow tint. There are several different light bulbs. Some can be expensive. But daylight bulbs are about the same price as soft white and normal use bulbs.  I have a single led, small handheld flashlight that does well. But it is high lumens about 600-700 lumens.  Numbers of led's will put numbers of spots on the marble picture. A single high lumens light works ok.  Try the same marble on a nontextured flat black background, on a nontextured med gray background, or a non textured white background.  Even a piece of white  printer paper.  Colored base marbles can photograph well on white background.  I tried using a light box years ago for a year and I did not like it.  Now I take my marble pictures on top of my clothes dryer.  Overhead is a bright led room light. I have 12 inch by 12 inch sheets of different colors of felt for background. But all I use is the off white and flat black. I have used the gray a little.  I use my small single led 600 lumens flashlight if more light is needed in a certain area or side, etc.  I use a $50.00 camera, a $50.00 hand held small pocket flashlight, and $3.00 worth of background, now for over ten years for my marble pictures. You can see many of them here and over in General Glass Talk.  

• Award 1

For a neutral background I use either a dark grey felt or a light grey felt cloth, whatever works best w/ the particular mib & a suitable rubber "O" ring to hold it in place (if needed) There are exceptions where I'll use black or white foam but very rarely, sometimes it takes a number (alot) of retakes w/ different colored backgrounds but eventually I hopefully get there. Ah the wonders of modern digital photography, in other words it's a good thing I'm not relying on film or I'd be picture poor ....  :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

For a neutral background I use either a dark grey felt or a light grey felt cloth, whatever works best w/ the particular mib & a suitable rubber "O" ring to hold it in place (if needed) There are exceptions where I'll use black or white foam but very rarely, sometimes it takes a number (alot) of retakes w/ different colored backgrounds but eventually I hopefully get there. Ah the wonders of modern digital photography, in other words it's a good thing I'm not relying on film or I'd be picture poor ....  :)

I bet it all depends on the overhead lighting too as to which background you choose. This is gray construction paper background in my light box. Not nearly as nice as the black background. 

AB0E4B0C-DE33-4D6E-AB3F-3142FD32F1E3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Melissa said:

I bet it all depends on the overhead lighting too as to which background you choose. This is gray construction paper background in my light box. Not nearly as nice as the black background. 

AB0E4B0C-DE33-4D6E-AB3F-3142FD32F1E3.jpeg

I use a single 500k 20w daylight bulb for lighting indoors, I prefer by far natural sunlight. Here's a cheap lighting setup from the AAM forum bought mostly @ your local hardware store or Walmart. Ernesto (MRCOM) takes some of the best mib pix I know of, you won't believe how simple his setup is when you see it  "Have Fun Melissa"   :)

LINK ::  https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46681

• Award 1