Alley ghost?

Melissa

I am always hesitant to ID Alley Ghosts from photos because JABO made some very similar marbles and they can be tough to tell apart. Alley Ghosts used to be fairly uncommon and now they seem to be everywhere. IMO, mis-identification is the reason why.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I am always hesitant to ID Alley Ghosts from photos because JABO made some very similar marbles and they can be tough to tell apart. Alley Ghosts used to be fairly uncommon and now they seem to be everywhere. IMO, mis-identification is the reason why.

Interesting. Would measurements help?

Just now, Melissa said:

Interesting. Would measurements help?

I don't think so. It's going to take some effort and known examples to figure it out. It's something I've wanted to sit down and discuss with @wvrons for quite a while.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joe2 said:

Seems like the Jabos Ghost was more of a red color base.

The JABO marbles I am thinking of do not have a name that I know of but I do know which marble you're talking about - the one that looks really plain until you put some UV on it is the JABO Ghost I know.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to be doing some work to look into this further. AFAIK Alley Ghosts are just common St. Mary's marbles washed out with clear, and when I begin to see more of them than I do the non-washed out ones I get suspicious - maybe it's just me, I haven't seen that many transparent Alleys from St. Mary's, at least ones that are similar to these.

• Thanks 1

Alley St.Marys Ghost.  They are everywhere, and always have been since I have been with marbles. About as abundant as a MK Bumblebee. They were named(not me)about 14-15 years ago. But the last five years people have went nuts buying them and paying from $5.00 to $25.00. for one. If there is a$1.00 or 4 for $1.00 box with 300-1000 marbles at a show, these will be in the box. They have slowed down on price so I guess people are satisfied now, they have a Alley St.Marys Ghost.  The base is clear with thin blue and red swirling. The blue and red will vary some depending on how heavy or thick the blue or red color was added plus temperature. With the numbers he made these often and probably over a few years at St.Marys.  There is a Jabo that is similar but both colors are more heavy or brighter, more blue and more red. Jabo also had a blue base with some clear and thin red added which burnt. These can look like Alley Ghost. 

• Award 2

10 minutes ago, wvrons said:

Alley St.Marys Ghost . . .

Thanks, Ron. Are there other St. Mary's Alleys similar to the Ghosts but with different base or striping colors, or just blue & red?