Pelt with 4 seams?

Kimbernugs

This Pelt looks like it has 4 seams to me. I took pics in my new setup. Much improved. I showed each of what look like seams to me and both poles. It's a bit larger than 5/8, but calipers will be my next purchase. So am I seeing things or is this some incorporated twin or whatever it's called when 2 mibs blend together? 

20230323_205505.jpg

20230323_205453.jpg

20230323_205440.jpg

20230323_205413.jpg

20230323_205534.jpg

20230323_205517.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kimbernugs said:

This Pelt looks like it has 4 seams to me. I took pics in my new setup. Much improved.

I agree about the pics - no more distracting reflections! In a double ingot, you will usually be able to see a continuous false "seam" all the way around the circumference of the marble - it's actually the interface between the two globs of glass (marbles) that came together to form it. Imagine how you could take two different colored balls of clay, push them together and round them into a larger ball - you should be able to follow that interface between the two colors all the way around that large ball. Also, if yours is a double ingot it would have been made from two considerably smaller marbles.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I agree about the pics - no more distracting reflections! In a double ingot, you will usually be able to see a continuous false "seam" all the way around the circumference of the marble - it's actually the interface between the two globs of glass (marbles) that came together to form it. Imagine how you could take two different colored balls of clay, push them together and round the into a larger ball - you should be able to follow that interface between the two colors all the way around that large ball. Also, if yours is a double ingot it would have been made from two considerably smaller marbles.

Excellent explanation. Thanks y'all!!

29 minutes ago, Kimbernugs said:

Excellent explanation. Thanks y'all!!

Okay, now imagine taking six different colored balls . . . lol

You might wind up with something like this 1-1/8" (minus the little nub) sextuple ingot - just so you know that things can get a bit more complicated. 🙂

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/Ric479.jpg.b867266136cc3fc19d106815c4a4bef7.jpg

The volume calculations work out near perfectly for this forming from 6 x 5/8" marbles, and you can actually count the globs too if you're careful.

• Wow 1
  • Award 1

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Okay, now imagine taking six different colored balls . . . lol

You might wind up with something like this 1-1/8" (minus the little nub) sextuple ingot - just so you know that things can get a bit more complicated. 🙂

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/Ric479.jpg.b867266136cc3fc19d106815c4a4bef7.jpg

The volume calculations work out near perfectly for this forming from 6 x 5/8" marbles, and you can actually count the globs too if you're careful.

That's an amazing mib Ric 💥💥💥👍👍👍