Question on posted eBay item! CAC?

jhomer2172

A seller has this posted on eBay as a CAC Burnt Orange Slag. Most books by so called experts say that a CAC slag must have white opaque swirls on a transparent colored or clear base. So is this a cobra or cyclone or not even a CAC? It measures 3/4”, no seams I can see. If it were bigger I would venture maybe even an Atmosphere! What do you think at $500??

Thanks

jon

02A77F8A-92F9-4907-BA43-BA79E55C1351.jpeg

0C5A70A7-4365-49DF-86D2-8E9899C2E3EB.jpeg

D7969195-296A-44DC-BFA6-8D708143A432.jpeg

27D583F6-9F19-4D62-9BEA-606695E6B7D1.jpeg

A806408B-2E1F-40E0-95E2-F9A4F014B650.jpeg

I see two seams.

I checked out the listing for a better opinion for you.

The seller appears to have the rest of the marbles for sale right on the money.

I can agree with CAC on this one, it is either a weak CAC "Striped Transparent" or a CAC "Striped Swirl". Not a slag imho.

Of course both are rare and for that price—I would have to see it in hand.

Nuff said.
Marble—On!!

3 hours ago, chicagocyclist said:

This question was also asked on AAM and they knew the guy who was selling it.

Ernesto  =  mrcom on AAM, he takes some of the best pictures of marbles I've ever seen using one of the simplest setups.

ERNSTOS' EBAY LINK ::  https://www.ebay.com/itm/225537924766?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

This link shows the Pic setup Ernesto uses   :thup:

PIC SETUP LINK ::   https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46681

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

Those are some pretty spectacular photos!!!

DId you take a gander @ the simple setup he uses ?? Almost, if not all bought @ walmart (easy & inexpensive) I agree, I am really impressed  :clap2:

Indeed, the photo is quite nice but, it's not 'Burnt' not a Burnt slag at all. It's an moreover 'Creamy orange slag' that is moreover, unburnt unless referring to  the clear. However, that clear tone is the same on all except normally, have lot's of bubbles too. . In the 1980's and early 90's pretty much all of the clear based CAC marbles like this were called slags. Albeit, I have never seen the light creamy orange colors in any CAC I know of. Nore have I seen this type that's most slag-y verses swirl, or striped.

As far as cutoff , it sure looks right to be 2 seams.

This one, if the colors of it are accurate, it's a little creamy verse burnt and not quite as 'Electric' as usual.  The 'Electric orange, swirl/slag were made in 5/8" and 7/8", I've seen a box or two of 5/8" but not 3/4" which are harder to find. I use to have photos of the boxes but currently they are stuck in one of my hard drives that Win 10 doesn't want to recognize. Regardless, those two boxes, one being complete, the other about 60-75% filled, if I recall correctly are not exactly like the 3/4" sizes as bigger typically is bubbly and not as clear as the 5/8" are.  Every once and a while, as were seen inside of original boxes, you would have seen one that had the colors completely  inside of it, verses both in and outer.  So to that effect, you could get an  Electric Orange Cobra in them.

However, unless the colors are off, this is not as electric, if at all that, the norm is.  All of those I have and seen both loose and in boxes are 'Electric because it's the blending of yellow and red that makes a very bright orange. During the late 90's as collector's attention was drawn closer to CAC and more prized for the color, it migrated to 'Swirl'. That's why, in my photo below, it's titled this way "Swirl/slag". Today, they are called Striped transparent and like other Electric Orange you'll also have the Cobra loops under, inside of the clear. Moreover, original in collectors ID as Slags during the and prior to the 1980's that changed ID to Swirls, then another ID as a Striped Transparent Submarine and 'Exotics' where now for the loops inside, although I have not seen an ID as this but, Electric orange Striped transparent Cobra or 'Exotic' is not a stretch of the imagination, in consideration to the titles given to 'Guinea Cobras and the like with 'Exotic' striped transparent having Cobra loops within. I'd guess the seller also struggles to fit a type on it as it looks, despite the color,  slag-y'

I have 2 that are , as it goes more likened as Submarines these days,..

Electric Orange is very difficult to photograph with low graphics as this is only 5K. I made it over 20 years ago and was probably very difficult for most others to accomplish where the clear shows with bubbles and a decent sense of the red and yellow into orange blending together. A better photo would, or should show plenty more blending of yellow and red. The Topic marble does not have red and yellow blending, rather it's like a creamy mix of orange. 

There are two single seamed marbles in this photo,. The 2  on the left are distinguished by looping, stripes  and size: left is  29/32" Right is 7/8" the right side photo is same two  marbles in different angles. Marked in size, one is slightly larger than the other. 

CAelectOrngSwrlSlag.jpg.0d4e5d70a4338b0d575362a82f288e34.jpg

• Award 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, Chad G. said:

DId you take a gander @ the simple setup he uses ?? Almost, if not all bought @ walmart (easy & inexpensive) I agree, I am really impressed  :clap2:

Yes, I did look at the post and as soon as I did I remembered it from way back in the beginning when I first started attempting to photograph marbles!  It looks so simple and I searched my house for some place that I could set something up permanently, to no avail!  :wacko:

59 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

Yes, I did look at the post and as soon as I did I remembered it from way back in the beginning when I first started attempting to photograph marbles!  It looks so simple and I searched my house for some place that I could set something up permanently, to no avail!  :wacko:

:(