Alley Kurly Kate??

akroorka

I recieved this one in a trade with a good marble collecting friend.

I have done a fair amount of research but I still suck at WVS ID.

The base is quite clear and it does show some moderate opal. This one is 5/8"

Regardless of what it is---it is a great one!

Marble--On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 1

The opalescence might suggest it's an Opal Lady. This one may just have so much striping glass (it's chock full) that it looks somewhat different than others. If there is no opalescence, I would call it Kurly Blush, which is what Bill originally named the clear based ones. I'm not sure where the "Kurly Kate" came from but I have seen them called that before too. Maybe someone can clue me in as to the origin of that moniker.

And of course, there is always a chance it's just a variant of one type or the other - sweet marble regardless of what you call it.

• Award 3

15 hours ago, Ric said:

I'm not sure where the "Kurly Kate" came from but I have seen them called that before too.

Stephen Bahr videos---“Alley Agate Identification and Nicknames”. There at least two of the vids.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ric said:

The opalescence might suggest it's an Opal Lady. This one may just have so much striping glass (it's chock full) that it looks somewhat different than others. If there is no opalescence, I would call it Kurly Blush, which is what Bill originally named the clear based ones. I'm not sure where the "Kurly Kate" came from but I have seen them called that before too. Maybe someone can clue me in as to the origin of that moniker.

And of course, there is always a chance it's just a variant of one type or the other - sweet marble regardless of what you call it.

Ron used that name back almost 10 years ago, here's a reply of his on AAM https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?p=240549#p240549

image.thumb.png.03d288cdc4d972d08dc6a751ae58e8c5.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Ron used that name back almost 10 years ago, here's a reply of his on AAM https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?p=240549#p240549

image.thumb.png.03d288cdc4d972d08dc6a751ae58e8c5.png

Huh, Thanks Chuck, I don't recall discussing this type with either Ron or Bill for many years. They must've gotten together on a rename and I must not have been paying attention.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, cheese said:

Yeah I hear it called both names and just go with it knowing what marble they mean. I've called it both names because I don't know which one to stick with.

"Varient" works for me Cheese--still a nice one--thanks!

Marble--On!!