Marble or Paperweight? Is that a Makers Mark?

Paulie

Hello!  I'm new so please be kind.

I have had this for years, I can't remember where it came from or how I acquired it.

My brother took it out of the drawer the other day, rolled it on the ground and said 'Massive Marble - where did you get that?'.

I never thought of it as a marble, it rolls around so I can't put it on the shelf so it's sat in a drawer.

I would really like to know if it is a Marble or a Paperweight please, there's a little mark on the 'base' but I think maybe that's just from the manufacturing process?

It would be great to know what it is - if it's a marble I'll wrap it up and give it to my brother as he loved it!  It doesn't look like your smart and beautiful marbles you have been posting here, wow, who'd have thought they could be so stunning?!  Like the dragonfly ones.

This glass ball measures approximately 2 1/4" diameter and weighs 271g.

Many thanks for looking,

Paula 🙂

P1320512.JPG

P1320497.JPG

P1320509.JPG

• Wow 2

"Welcome to Marble Connection Paula"  :wave2:

Well I don't see a makers mark, unfortunately. I would however call that a marble. Paperweights have a flat spot so they'll stay in one spot. Beautiful marble though. Again "Welcome"

• Care 1

4 hours ago, Paulie said:

I'm new so please be kind.

-----almost a jinx Chad----I was ready to hit enter when your notification was shown--so here goes--LOL.

Welcome here to The Marble Connection Paulie,
If you are not treated with kindness here just let me/us know---we all will fix it quickly.
If this 2-1/4" orb has no flat spots to anchor it from rolling--I would consider it a Marble, many times orbs come with stands or flattened spots to keep them from rolling on the floor—I think that this one is meant to stand alone as a nice round object.
Many contemporary marble makers make this size. I do not know when a marble or orb becomes an orb vs a marble but yours fits into the marble categories imho.
Thanks for checking in and asking, I think that your Bro will appreciate it regardless.

If you can decipher the signature--we here may suggest a maker.
Marble—On!!

• Like 2

Wow!  Thank you so much for your input everybody!

I didn't think for a moment that I would get a response at all, let alone so quickly.  I've been looking at this forum with great interest.  Who would have known there were so many different types of marbles and what a following there are of them!  A 3" Marble!  Wow!

Thank you so much.

This is so big even my dog was taking a great interest, he thought I might just go outside and throw it for him!  He ran back and fore to the door wanting to play.  He's a Dobermann, so no, I can't even trust him to sniff it as he might grab it and choke.

My brother is going to be so pleased.  I'm going to wrap it up and put it in a cracker for him for Christmas :-).  I think he'll guess as soon as he holds the cracker.

Might even buy some marbles and wrap them for him, start a collection going maybe.  He never shows an interest unless it's car, dog or holiday related so I was amazed he was so taken with it.

I really appreciate that you all responded - so nice to see your different takes on it.

I'm sure I'll be checking in again.  Going to look further at your collective pieces on here and see if I can get a theme going for my brother's Christmas tree prezzie.

You have a nice community here.  Good to see people being kind.

See you all again soon I hope - I'll post some pics when I get a collection together for him.

A big THANK YOU from across the pond!  🙂

• Like 2