help i.d. mostly old stuff

atombaum

Rediscovering the marbles I played with as a kid at my grandmother's in the 1960s. Many belonged to my mother, and probably date from the mid-1940s. Some may be newer. Don't know much about them. Just getting started, and don't yet recognize brands, types, or too much marble jargon.

cx418hJ.jpg

u7JGl0f.jpg

Jo0dxLU.jpg

• Like 1

"Welcome to Marble Connection"  :wave2:

You're in the right place, post em for I.D. if you like, 4 or 5 @ a time showing seams if possible & @ least 3 or 4 views. Pictures so far look great, nice and clear. 

Again

"Welcome"

I see some game marbles, Vitro, Akro, West Virginia swirls, cats, a good mixed bag. Others will be along shortly to give ya a hand.

3 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

So many types ! This is why we’re all here. If you don’t know what it is just ask. If you know an ID go ahead and post that as well. It feels good when you get one right🔥

RAR

Thanks for the comments.

Just FYI - 

• I don't know for sure what any of these are, or when they might have been made.
  • I think the clear ones with the "flower pedal" style colors inside are known as cat eyes.
  • My mother gave them to me in a large coffee can about 40 - 45 years ago, and I'm pretty sure they were hers as a child, i.e. the same ones I played with in the 1960s.
  • Started binging on marble-centric YouTube videos only in the last day or so, and remembered I had these.
  • Today, I sorted them in hopes of further identification.
  • Then I found this forum!
  • For starters, I'd like to focus on the ones in the bags, which seemed to be a different style. Agate perhaps?  
  • Also, the solid colored ones (last photo) seemed interesting. They are smaller, and have slight variations in shape.

More photos as time permits.

55 minutes ago, atombaum said:

BTW, this was my favorite one way back when.

1YCKz3u.jpg

D7vGSTv.jpg

Looks like a (PPP) Peltier Peerless Patch ?? Here are about the best marble I.D. videos online by Stephen Bahr. Stephen @stephenb is also a board member here. Just click on the link & you'll see his YouTube channel & vids.

LINK ::  https://www.youtube.com/@stephenbahrmarbles/videos

• Award 1

Save your black and pink cat's eyes. I think that you might have some other CE's worth saving too! Great collection!!   Pink, from what I have read is one of the harder colors to produce in glass. That bubble gum pepto-bismal pink, magenta etc. Purple is also noy easy to find especially in a cat's eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, atombaum said:

Are these the pink ones? I thought they looked orange. 

lCVEZ3E.jpg

You are right- those are red/Orange. In your photo, at the lower left you have what looks like a reddish cats eye with four very straight veins. I think this could be a "St. Mary's cts eye" Very nice and collectable if it is. You have a lot of anomalous 'caged' cat's eyes with six or seven bars. Quite fascinating. Stephen Bahr does a whole video on just Cat's eyes---worth watching! A truly pink cat's eye id uncommon and very hard to find. Keep an eye out for one. Black is uncommon but easier to find. Cat's eyes are seriously underrated and worth collecting.

20220615_152553_d3tnf7.jpg

s-l300.webp

VITRO PINK CATS EYE.jpg

s-l1200 (10).webp

• Like 2

@treetigerGreat photos. Wow it's a lot to take in and process. I did start watching a Stephen Bahr video, but with the holidays (not to mention other hobbies, responsibilities, and pastimes) didn't get too far, but I plan to go back. I will continue to reference this thread to review the links, etc. I have poked around on the site a little, and it's got a ton of well organized info. It's a bit overwhelming.

For clarity, did you see any pink cat's eyes in my photos?

This seems like the kind of hobby that once you begin to think you understand it, it's too late, you're hooked, and there's no turning back. It seems like it's really interesting once you get into it. I have a problem where everything I touch turns into a collection, so I have to be careful. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, atombaum said:

I have a problem where everything I touch turns into a collection.

Join the club atombaum--been there done that!

By the way--Welcome to the Marble Connection!

Marbles are the ultimate in my world--hard and easy-- or easy and hard.

Reasearchers we all are and will continue to be.

We all share here--show us what you have!

Three or four at a time.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, atombaum said:

@treetigerGreat photos. Wow it's a lot to take in and process. I did start watching a Stephen Bahr video, but with the holidays (not to mention other hobbies, responsibilities, and pastimes) didn't get too far, but I plan to go back. I will continue to reference this thread to review the links, etc. I have poked around on the site a little, and it's got a ton of well organized info. It's a bit overwhelming.

For clarity, did you see any pink cat's eyes in my photos?

This seems like the kind of hobby that once you begin to think you understand it, it's too late, you're hooked, and there's no turning back. It seems like it's really interesting once you get into it. I have a problem where everything I touch turns into a collection, so I have to be careful. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

On the far right of the Maxwell House coffee can picture...one cats eye looks blended pinkish but we need to see better pics of it.. Yes, you are preaching  to the choir...Halleluiah!

10 hours ago, akroorka said:

Join the club atombaum--been there done that!

By the way--Welcome to the Marble Connection!

Marbles are the ultimate in my world--hard and easy-- or easy and hard.

Reasearchers we all are and will continue to be.

We all share here--show us what you have!

Three or four at a time.

Marble--On!!

Amen!!

14 hours ago, treetiger said:

Also, I really like your Avatar pic... Hercules?...from Jason and the Argonauts?...pissing off Talos by stealing a broach pin from the 'jewelry box of the Gods?

Yes I see how it could be Hercules. That's Nigel Green. I knew him first from The Ipcress File (1965) as Major Dalby, also starring Michael Caine, Guy Doleman, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...