Calling On The Marble Minds!!

SplattmanSS

I have approximately 30 of these, all peewee sized and cat's-eye designed interiorly.. My question is why the "frosted" surface? :blink:

I looked at my limited reference sites, thinking they might be newer by Vacor or Mega...no luck.

They are all 3 or 4 vane, some with hybrid colorations...

The answer is probably very easy, but I can't find it....Who made these?

post-257-1163350306_thumb.jpgpost-257-1163350297_thumb.jpg

Thanx again, Steve

:P Thanx David.....I searched every Vacor/Mega site I could find...Nada

I saw a couple of auctions/BIN listing's on Ebay and found similar listed as "Beach" marbles....If I had a couple I would have thought that as well, but 30 or so isn't a couple... :blink:

Maybe they were intentionally frosted in a rock tumbler or something?? :huh: (Thinking out loud).

Steve

Guest marbleus1

They are intentionally frosted by the manufacturer, I have similar styles somewhere.

I have always considered them foriegn (maybe Euro) but have never found any info on them.

David

When I think on it seems like I have seen Czech (like) frosted marbles.

fwiw, the 4-vane lavender cats at the site ron points to make me think those at that site are modern mk's under the frosting.

I don't think the hybrids in Steve's bunch would be mk.

who has made multicolor peewee cats? that might be a starting place. -steph

If the white-ish based rainbows in that tin have the lavender I think I'm seeing, then I'd guess MK was at least a major contributor to whoever jobbered the lot (is 'jobber' the right verb here??????)

but steve, at least some of yours still look different inside.

those are cool - the inside construction looks slightly older (60-70's?)

supposedly fenton frosted some vitro marbles; do the insides look like vitro cats?

Some do have a resemblence to Vitro's Chris, but not all...even stranger is the fact they are a "mixed" lot as well...all makers....MK..Vitro..Pelt,etc..

They sure looked mixed. They also look unevenly aged. Not like I remember any of my artificial "beach glass" looking after I took it out of my rock tumbler after any stage.

It's a real puzzle that they're all peewees from apparently different makers. I'm done guessing.

okay, i'm back, but this is not a guess. at least not one i get credit for.

I was looking back at william's remark about aquariums. I think it sounds really plausible as an explanation for the assorted types and uneven wear.

As the marbles are from a variety of makers and the frosting is not uniformly smooth (note the numerous tiny dings), I would have to say they are nothing more than marbles that saw a lot of action on cement playground slabs (remember the game 4 square was usually played on cement).

Thanx for all the replies.....

In my opinion, it looks like these were intentionally frosted by whoever distributed them. Maybe they came as a set from an individual distributor?....

I can't agree that these were nothing more than well-played-with on a cement slab because the entire surface is frosted and it would have taken a great deal of time on a cement slab to cause that much surface damage to so many..

The couple that Roany shows are the closest in comparison, surface wise...Which strengthens my "set" opinion..

It still puzzles me why all are the same size yet, by differant makers :blink:

I'll final polish a couple this weekend and post pics so we can see the interior design....

Steve

the aquarium theory sounds best in my mind so far. the 'frosting' on yours doesn't look quite as 'clean' as the ones buddy showed.

maybe someone collected peewees and thought they looked nice in the fish tank? i wonder if they ever could've been sold as a substitute for gravel?

the aquarium theory sounds best in my mind so far. the 'frosting' on yours doesn't look quite as 'clean' as the ones buddy showed.

maybe someone collected peewees and thought they looked nice in the fish tank? i wonder if they ever could've been sold as a substitute for gravel?

If you've ever fished any marbles out of a creek where they've been rolling around in sand for years they'll look something like that. Art

Art makes a good point about marbles rolling around in the sand. Del's ship wreck marbles looked the pretty much the same.

100years+current+sand = haze

However, given the "Mixed makers "and time factor(far from a 100 years), I would hazzard a guess that those have been in somebody's hobby rock polisher.

I borrowed a rock polisher when I first started collecting and thought I'd give em a whorl and shine em up.. A couple of days later I had a dozen frosted peewee footballs.

Steve's coulda been tumbled in a finer grit and kept their "roundness"?...

just sayin'

anyway, here's some Chezk marbles that have a slight haze on them.

chezk1.jpg

chezk2.jpg