Just A Pic To Make All Of You Cry...again

JVVmarbles

You've got to be kidding me.... :blink: This is pretty insane, but I still think that paperweight you have takes the cake. Actually thats probably my personal favorite out of everything you've ever posted here.

-Brad

These Lightning strikes are not mine, but they are part from the collection of a dear friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous. I have 'only' 3 lightning strikes myself. Here's another pic of these beauties!

post-279-1223042875_thumb.jpg

An amazing find and that yellow/red/green lightning really stands out. Can't say I've even seen a plain one in hand, or a ribbon onionskin. Cool marbles, I really dig seeing some odd handmades.

Haven't used the search feature yet, but any input on how the Lightning's came to be? Early/Late in terms of other handmades? Limited market (ie. Europe, like some of those other not-just-your-everyday handmades)? 2-pontil (why just color on the sides rather than pole to pole)? Ground pontil? Just curious, I could search but you seem like a fellow enthusiast that wouldn't mind a few questions.

While on topic of seeing a couple really rare types, are "chevrons" plentiful over there too?

These Lightning strikes are not mine, but they are part from the collection of a dear friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous. I have 'only' 3 lightning strikes myself. Here's another pic of these beauties!

Awesome find...the first three color I have ever seen...thanks much for posting.

Whats the average diameter of them?....Greg

An amazing find and that yellow/red/green lightning really stands out. Can't say I've even seen a plain one in hand, or a ribbon onionskin. Cool marbles, I really dig seeing some odd handmades.

Haven't used the search feature yet, but any input on how the Lightning's came to be? Early/Late in terms of other handmades? Limited market (ie. Europe, like some of those other not-just-your-everyday handmades)? 2-pontil (why just color on the sides rather than pole to pole)? Ground pontil? Just curious, I could search but you seem like a fellow enthusiast that wouldn't mind a few questions.

While on topic of seeing a couple really rare types, are "chevrons" plentiful over there too?

I personally think they were made around 1910 in Germany (I found 2 of them together on a German flea market). They all have a single ground pontil and the usual size is 1-5/8". It looks like the colors are shot into the surface because they are on the surface and 1/4" inside the marble. But I'm not really sure how they were made. When you hold them to them light they are opalescent (a red/orange light inside appears). Very beautiful.

No crying here ....but it reminded me about my 4 i sold in 1994 for $400.00 looking back is 20/20 i guess ....but to see them in-hand makes you understand why they have there name....."WORLD SHAKEING SCORE" THAnx for the pix

Dustin.

Do you maybe have pics of those 4? were they all mint?

I personally think they were made around 1910 in Germany (I found 2 of them together on a German flea market). They all have a single ground pontil and the usual size is 1-5/8". It looks like the colors are shot into the surface because they are on the surface and 1/4" inside the marble. But I'm not really sure how they were made. When you hold them to them light they are opalescent (a red/orange light inside appears). Very beautiful.

Hi JVV, awesome rare marbles! 1910? From what I know about ground pontil marbles, they were all made 1850-1870. I think the best antique hand made marbles are the ground pontils!

Scott

It makes sense that the lightning strikes might have been made at a different time from the other ground pontil marbles because they seem so different in design from the regular geometric structures of the others. (the others I've seen)

The very idea of the flaming penetrating zig zags seems like a revolution in style. And whatever techniques I imagine might have been used to create them also seem revolutionary, experimental and possibly partly mechanical, i.e., even possibly "transitional".

Just thinkin ...

steph