Sad News - Jim Davis 01/07/30 To 06/09/07

AMarcin

James C. Davis

James C. Davis, 77, of Pennsboro departed this life on Saturday, June 9, 2007, at Harrisville, W.Va.

He was born on Jan. 7, 1930, at Goffs in Ritchie County, W.Va., a son of the late James W. and Minnie Amanda Davis.

Mr. Davis had worked in the glass industry since the age of 16. He had been employed by Mid-Atlantic Glass of Ellenboro, W.Va., for 46 years and retired in 1990. Soon after retirement, he opened Davis Handcut Glass and later became the first person in Ritchie County to manufacture handmade marbles, owning and operating Davis Handmade Marbles of Pennsboro. He had been a member of the Buckeye Marble Club, the West Virginia Arts and Crafts Guild and the Country Roads Travel Council. He was a member of the St. Joseph’s Catholic Church of Pennsboro.

He is survived by his wife of nearly 53 years, Margaret L. Corra Davis; sons and daughters-in-law, James ‘‘Steve’’ Davis (Pat), Richard ‘‘Rick’’ Davis, Michael Davis (Debbie), John Davis (Mindy) and Joseph Davis (Kelly), all of Pennsboro, and Mark Davis (Regina) of Harrisville; a brother, Andrew Davis of West Farmington, Ohio; sisters, Margaret Perine of Harrisville, Ruby Mihlbauer of Parkersburg and Ruth Brannin of Missoula, Mont.; grandchildren, Bryan, Nikki, Josh, Isaiah, Jeremy, Amanda, Andrew, Andrea and Ashley Davis and Brittney and Santana Waggoner; and a great-granddaughter, Madison Davis.

In addition to his parents, Mr. Davis was preceded in death by a sister, Esther Waggoner.

Mass of Christian burial will be 10 a.m. Tuesday from the St. Joseph’s Catholic Church of Pennsboro, with the Rev. Mark Gallipeau as celebrant. Friends may call from 5-8 p.m. Monday at the McCullough-Rogers Funeral Home, Pennsboro, where a prayer service will be at 7:30 p.m.

Memorial contributions in the name of James C. Davis are preferred to the Pennsboro High School Alumni Scholarship Fund, c/o McCullough-Rogers Funeral Home, Box 575, Pennsboro, WV 26415.

Jim has been struggling for such a long time... I know this peace will be welcomed by him... Rest well.

But, his family has lost such an icon!! I never knew Jim personally, but I have the hugest respect for a couple who can raise such a wonderful family and also have such an impact on their community, both local and in marbles.

Andy, Andrea and all other extended family, my heart goes out to you....

Share a toast for a life well lived!!

Well, said, Sue.

I met Jim at the Northeast show in '93 and was immediately attracted to his swirl marbles..

It is wonderful that the sons have continued what he started.

My thoughts and prayers are with them all.. Jim is in a better place ,with no more pain..

God Bless..

Di

Another one gone. My condolences to the entire family. Anyone who had the experience of talking to Jim at a show or about marbles could easily see how much he enjoyed it. He did pass the knowledge and talent along to many in his family. He was one of the first to get nice Alley marbles out in front of collectors eyes.

Another loss for marble people

WVRONS

My condolences also to family & friends who lost Jim. I never met any of the Davis family, but their contributions to the marble community were never the less appreciated by me. Sorry to hear that the man who inspired it all is gone.

We are Very Sorry to hear this saddening news.

Our Love and Prayers go out to All of the Davis Family.

Marilyn and I never got to meet Mr.Davis personally, but we did get to watch a video of him at the Amana show about three years ago in Andy's room that was very impressive.

Andrea, please take care of Andy, and keep in touch.

Love and Regards,

Cliff and Marilyn

2000 Degrees Plus