What Do You Think About This Box?

Steph

They look great! Do you think column 1 row 3, and column 2 row 5 could be replacements? They seem more edge defined, a little denser blue, finer band and maybe more opalecent. I have only a few marbles in this colourway and pattern and no knowledge on them but very eager to learn too.

thanks for showing that. I've only seen the ones that have 60 marbles. Edna

Those are the "Chinese Checkers" sets. These are stock boxes and most commonly found with an assortment of colors despite what the end stamp reads. I believe the boxes contained the "proper" colors at one time, but were likely jumbled at the factory proir to shipping. A worker could pull 6 boxes of each color and mix them into a box and ship them out. Therefore, the box would have a single color stamp (such as black on mine) but an assortment of colors within.

IMHO

Derrick

So I'm still on the fence about this one.

If workers would mix different colors into specific color-labelled boxes as needed, mightn't they be adaptable and put blue corks in a blue-labelled box?

Seems like a possibility.

If backfilled, when might the filling have occurred?

Things I wonder about ... :-)

So I'm still on the fence about this one.

If workers would mix different colors into specific color-labelled boxes as needed, mightn't they be adaptable and put blue corks in a blue-labelled box?

Seems like a possibility.

If backfilled, when might the filling have occurred?

Things I wonder about ... :-)

Why not a Prizename box? Backfilling can happen any time. I have thought about dumping my Pelt box and backfilling it for display purposes and retaining the originals to put back in. Nothing shady on my part. Then there are the people who backfill to get more cash out of something. Who cares really. If you are educated, you can decide for yourself and buy or not buy. If the pricce was right, (for example) I would by the "blue" box dump the cheesy corks and refill with Akro game marbles. I have a full set of known Akros to fill it. IMHO

Derrick

Why not a Prizename box?

Maybe the prizename boxes were more for assortments. Maybe someone had a need for a bunch of blue corks, and this is how they were sent out.

And while it is theoretically possible for it to have been backfilled "anytime", there are some situations in which it is less likely to have occurred.

There are so many possibilities.

So much context isn't shared. Would this "Lee" Al mentioned backfill and not tell? Are most of his findings from the really really wild as he travels around? So many possibilities. And some possibilities include things which to me seem like plausible reasons for this box to be original.

And I guess that's why I'm on the fence.

That and I'm a romantic, so I like to keep the options open about these new possibilities. :-)

Update from the Q&A section of the auction:

Q: Hello. We're fascinated by the blue corks in a box in which we would expect opaques. Can you tell us more about the history of the box? Thanks! Apr-22-08

A: At first glance these marbles appear to all be solid opapue white. Some are. I just took my light to about 25% of the marbles and there is a slight (very slight) transparency to the white base. They are definately a variation but I would still call them opaque. But that is me and I own them. Someone else may call them semi translucent.

History.... I purchased this box in collection I bought two years ago which included over 60 boxes. The collector was into Christensen and Peltier as well as complete boxes. Meaning he did not put boxes together. We were (are) both friends of the Hardys and I know he bought Akro from them. Thank you for looking and your interest. Lee

Back in the 30's when this box was put together no one was too worried about what went into a stock box. There were buckets, barrels and tubs filled with marbles all over the production floor.

Anyone who has spent time in a factory where production was stressed ( and especially in the 30's when marbles were cheap and so was labor ) would know that most "stock" boxes were probably filled with whatever marbles that they had the most of and wanted to ship. With the possible exception of "gift" boxes which had somewhat various matched color marbles, the goal was to make and ship as many boxes of marbles a day that you could. No one picked them up and looked at them to make sure they matched.

Since a 50 gallon barrel might contain the same color and type of marbles from a few different days runs, it's not surprising that Lee's box has slightly different hues and bases.

And that's not my humble opinion , it's my opinion from spending more than 30 years in a variety of manurfacturing plants from the 50's onward watching piecework and production lines. None of that IMHO cop out....... Art