Talk About Your Golden Rule

Steph

This had a buy-it-now on it. My first impression was that it was a bargain. I wonder how long it lasted before it was sold. Any ideas on a good price for it?

Box of 12 Golden Rule marbles, each in their own box.

They are a little hard to come by even individually, right? They're not still being made?

BoxOfGoldenRules_laurn60.jpg

BoxOfGoldenRules_laurn60_b.jpg

Damn... What a cool find!!!

100-150 would be a fair price

That would certainly be fair... At $15.00 ea. your lookin' at $180... I would think, in that condition, they would fly for that.... Then, given the original case box?? I'd even think $200-250 might be fair...

I have seen them sold for as little as 80 dollars at a show. the marbles just do not sell that well except on ebay. I almost always take one of those boxes to the shows and in the last 9 shows I have only sold 4 of the marbles in the box. and that is at $15-20. it just in the bottom of the storage box now. Peace,Galen

So, it sounds like the $99.99 for this one was not a steal and not too high.

I usually sort my ebay searches by highest price first in an attempt to see what the most interesting listings were. I stop looking when I get down to about $50 final sale price. Which means that in addition to missing all the bargains Al gets on original packaging, I also only see the golden rule marbles people spend a lot for. Like the person who bought 4 individual ones without cases for $61.

But I did a search just now specifically for Golden Rule marbles and found that the price for individuals with cases is in the neighborhood of $9 to $11 after shipping.

Now I know. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

• 2 years later...

This had a buy-it-now on it. My first impression was that it was a bargain. I wonder how long it lasted before it was sold. Any ideas on a good price for it?

Box of 12 Golden Rule marbles, each in their own box.

They are a little hard to come by even individually, right? They're not still being made?

BoxOfGoldenRules_laurn60.jpg

BoxOfGoldenRules_laurn60_b.jpg

Steph,

Several years ago, Galen had posted on LOM a link to an article in Time magazine, with this:

"All company officers and salesmen carry a marble encircled by a gold band on which the Golden Rule is printed, take it out for inspiration when they have a business decision to make."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,833811,00.html

(Sorry,I can't get that link to work, but here it is, in posting #15:

http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/showthread.php?20608-For-Travelers&highlight=samsonite)

I've not been keen on collecting this marble, since most known marble transactions have been more like this:

But some time ago I finally did get one; a real agate Golden Rule marble on eBay. Forget what it cost.

post-358-130670007672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steph
Fixed the link, I hope

Hansel, I fixed the link for you, I think.

The ones with the real agates are awesome! That whole thread at LOM is pretty cool though even with some of the pictures missing. It's always nice to read about Patry's collection, so I don't want to discourage anyone from following that link.

Here's another good thread. Pete's description of his collection is a pretty nice catalog all by itself.

http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/showthread.php?26349

Very possibly the Christian evangelical aspect of the transaction cancels out anything of a nefarious nature* but make of it what you will as I'm sure you will. David

*Curiously it hadn't entered my mind. Pete mentioned this among some other projects he's involved in lately in rather a lengthy email exchange recently more regarding providing kids with killer shooter marbles having aventurine to the max.

Very possibly the Christian evangelical aspect of the transaction cancels out anything of a nefarious nature* but make of it what you will as I'm sure you will. David

*Curiously it hadn't entered my mind. Pete mentioned this among some other projects he's involved in lately in rather a lengthy email exchange recently more regarding providing kids with killer shooter marbles having aventurine to the max.

Ahh! Spoken like a true politician. Christianity as well as providing for the children; how could any patriot (like me) complain?

I should have been as pious, and instead commissioned crucifix sulphides and holy medals for the children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Benedict_Medal

My apologies for assuming a "Christian evangelical aspect" of the GR.

"Examples of statements that mirror the Golden Rule appear in Ancient Egypt, for example in the story of The Eloquent Peasant which is dated to the Middle Kingdom of Egypt (c. 2040–1650 BCE): "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do."[6] Rushworth Kidder states that "the label 'golden' was applied by Confucius (551–479 B.C.), who wrote a version of the Silver Rule: 'Here certainly is the golden maxim: Do not do to others that which we do not want them to do to us.'" Kidder notes that this framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions".[7]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule

• 2 years later...

Just thought you'd all like to know that a NE Ohio Company is now running an Indiegogo campaign to help fund a new production run of Golden Rule Marbles!

Even a small $30 donation gets you your very own Marble with a Message! There are also large donation packages for groups and distributors:

post-3539-0-11620400-1383413713_thumb.jp