Antique Marbles: Stone, Bennington, China, . . .

Steph

I just received two "spotted dicks" just like the one posted (spot on each pole and four spots around). They came in a lot from England, and I was wondering what they were. There is also one a bit bigger that is black, with white splotches ... more shaped like rain drops or crescent moons. The spots on all three are rather messy both in placement and in shape. Not fine craftsmanship, but at least they have a name (be that as it may)! Thanks for posting the pics~

Ruth

Hi Ruth,white-flag-25.gif

Just wondering what is the diameter of those two "Spotted Dicks" you just got??? I have one, diameter is 7/8... The one that Cees posted is the same as mine... They only have 5 spots total, one on each pole and 3 around... Count those spots again and see if you come up with 5 instead of six... It would make me feel better... Or maybe your mibs are a bit larger then ours...smile.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. Like I said I know nothing about it aside from it being found in the U.K . How big is the one you posted Sue?

There are some wicked marbles in this thread. That Mongo Mocha is crazy.

Another pic for the thread.

post-218-127206772542_thumb.jpg

General feeling is that the China that just sold for silly money was a fake right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-CHINA-FLOWER-MARBLE-2-07-INCH-BIG-/260592281303?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Marbles&hash=item3cac82a6d7

I slide in here with a "yes, to the best of my understanding", and then go back to enjoying the real mibs! :-)

To my knowledge, there is only one (real) marble of this design... It belonged to the late Bill Sweet for many years and is pictured in Marble Mania....

As of last October, it was still in a saftey deposit box, belonging to the Sweet family, with no plans to move it...

It has been copied a few times... Nadine MacDonald signed and dated a few, with a tip of the hat to Bill's....

I copied it on a ceramic ornament, with a tip of the hat to Nadine!!! ;)

post-3-127294152037_thumb.jpgpost-3-127294153896_thumb.jpg

(I can't begin to tell you what a bitch it is, trying to get those freakin' lines straight!! :wacko: )

That half and half sure is weird. Wonder if it was painted that way or just dipped? Way cool!

Did anyone see the Dutch China that ended the other night. Even all nibbled up still sold for pretty good money.

Looks like the cats out of the bag on this Dutch on ebay right now. I'm still in the running, but sadly think I will end up watching the big boys play in the end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARBLES-PENNSYLVANIA-DUTCH-CARPET-BALL-OLD-ORIGINAL-/110527497224?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Toys_VintageToys_RL&hash=item19bbf3c408

post-218-127335309809_thumb.jpg

post-218-127335311641_thumb.jpg

post-218-127335312855_thumb.jpg

That half 'n' half Bennington is outrageous. I love it. And the 'pink'....Wow! Larry Castle would have traded his show stock for that one. He was always after me for pink in Lined Crockery, Benningtons, etc. Pink is rather prominent in another Thread here today. I have the movie Pretty in Pink and most of the early Hughes movies. David

If the "word" is out on Penn. Dutch, what the heck happened to THIS one???

Alan's Auction...

'Wish I'd been home!! I'da bid a lot more than that!! Sure it's got some dings...

But, great colors!!!

'Sorry I missed the question on size of mine... I'd have to dig it out (The photo was in file) Off the top of my head, I'd say it's about the same as the one in this auction...

About 1¾" sounds close...