Ebay auctions make my head hurt

ManofKent

Was his mistake....thinking no one was going to bid? Man that's a tough wake up.

Ebay has definitely gotten worse over the years but if you pick and choose there are some good sellers out there and still a few deals on occasion but you had better be on your ID game.

Thanks for being one of the reasons I still like Ebay MIke. =}

11 minutes ago, jeeperman said:

Was his mistake....thinking no one was going to bid? Man that's a tough wake up.

Ebay has definitely gotten worse over the years but if you pick and choose there are some good sellers out there and still a few deals on occasion but you had better be on your ID game.

Thanks for being one of the reasons I still like Ebay MIke. =}

He responds... 

Hi, I'm so sorry but I made a typo on the price of this. I was about to change the price but the purchase went through within moments of my noticing it. I'm in a bad situation since our house burned down in a wildfire last year and I lost my job. I've never had to cancel an order before, but I'm sorry but I have to cancel this. I'm so sorry, I'm selling on ebay to support my family. I hope you can understand and not leave a bad feedback. Sincerely, D.P.

Well hopefully he gets a lot more for them. Sounds like he is in a bad situation.  

6 minutes ago, jeeperman said:

Wow, just makes you wonder. While I hate to guess and doubt ...... I wonder what he meant to put as a price. 

The auction has 425.00 or best offer, so at first I offered 300.00 without really looking over the marbles, so after looking at them for a bit I said hell it's worth every bit of what he asking for so, I just bought them. He said he had several offers, which still doesn't make sense, because I gave him the asking price? I think what happened was I bought them and someone else offered him more and he canceled my transaction. I asked him if that was the case and he said no. He said he wasn't sure what he had, so I filled him in on what he had and also told him about the marble connection and Steph's study hall. He did mention that he was going to list them auction style. Well, I wish him the best either way. 

My guess is a sour grapes bidder told him something like, "You have several $150 marbles in there". I had that happen on a locally listed lot once that I got (and I paid well) and the second buyer came too late and told the guy his marbles were worth much more then the seller tried calling me up asking for pictures and stuff.

Edit: But wow, even the mint is mint on some of those beauties!

56 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

My guess is a sour grapes bidder told him something like, "You have several $150 marbles in there". I had that happen on a locally listed lot once that I got (and I paid well) and the second buyer came too late and told the guy his marbles were worth much more then the seller tried calling me up asking for pictures and stuff.

Edit: But wow, even the mint is mint on some of those beauties!

I bet your right! I don't like sour grapes.

And those grapes stink - sellers like that should be booted from eBay. Maybe he’s telling the truth about his hardships and maybe he isn’t and good luck to him regardless, but bottom line is he posted a sales price on an item and someone bought it in good faith - he should honor that purchase. Also the statement by him (below) of noticing his “error” just as the item sold just doesn’t jive with his explanation of also getting several offers. He didn’t tumble to his “error” UNTIL he got those offers - if it’s caveat emptor on the buy side, well, it’s caveat venditor on the sell side, too. What marble seller hasn’t taken it on the chin on an auction - or several? You win some, you lose a lot lol. 

I’d report this to eBay if you haven’t already. Greedy liars like this help give legitimate marble sellers a bad name.

I was about to change the price but the purchase went through within moments of my noticing it 

4 hours ago, Royal3 said:

And those grapes stink - sellers like that should be booted from eBay. Maybe he’s telling the truth about his hardships and maybe he isn’t and good luck to him regardless, but bottom line is he posted a sales price on an item and someone bought it in good faith - he should honor that purchase. Also the statement by him (below) of noticing his “error” just as the item sold just doesn’t jive with his explanation of also getting several offers. He didn’t tumble to his “error” UNTIL he got those offers - if it’s caveat emptor on the buy side, well, it’s caveat venditor on the sell side, too. What marble seller hasn’t taken it on the chin on an auction - or several? You win some, you lose a lot lol. 

I’d report this to eBay if you haven’t already. Greedy liars like this help give legitimate marble sellers a bad name.

I was about to change the price but the purchase went through within moments of my noticing it 

Totally agree. I know I have taken my share to the chin. I didn't report him, but if I find out he lied to me I may have a few choice words for him!