Alox Shooters

It's possible but I don't want to press. Nancy shared a lot of pictures of a whole lot of Alox items with me: kites, shoelaces, ads inc. one for marbles free with shoelace purchase, factory photos, and more. Her camera is probably worn out. Oh yeah, and a mesh bag with patches and a shooter in among the swirls and a red header I'd never seen before. :o

The middle bag has 1" sparkler types in it.

uh, that's a really long story. Some do think they're Akro. Some don't. They've been found in different packaging. They're famous as being sold by Ravenswood.

It's remarkable and totally unexpected to see them in Alox packaging too.

I'd consider going in more detail, but my computer is on the fritz and I'm at the library for a quick fly-by.

• 2 weeks later...

To my great amazement, Nancy sent me a bag like the middle one. Also some other items I'll have to share later. !!

(click to enlarge)

AloxShooters_fromNancy-1.jpg

The base glass is clear. Sort of brushed patches, but with some action inside. Varying amounts inside (more than 10% but less than 75%).

Colors here include pale blue, pale green, yellow, white, black (or a very dark purple), and a tiny amount of transparent orange-ish.

Size is between 15/16" and 1".

Ooops ... when I was switching from using attachments to using Photobucket, I accidentally copied the code for Mike's bag instead of mine. And now I can't bring myself to delete his!

(click to enlarge)

AloxMike_p22533-1.jpg

Edited by modularforms
formatting

I carefully pried open the staples. Here's a better look of what's inside.

(click to enlarge)

AloxShooters001a-1.jpg AloxShooters002a-1.jpg

The white haze in the pix is not present in the glass in hand.

So how do you like my "new" Alox shooters? !!

From Nancy's (and now Mike's) pix I can see they come in other colors also.

You actually opened a bag? Pried open a staple? E-Gads!!

That's cool since we needed to see them. lol

I'm just not sure if I'm seein' Master there or Akro.

What do you think you're seein' Steph since you have them in hand.

Thanks!! ...Opened a bag!!... You're just too cool for school!!

Weldon never let ME open a bag. If I wanted to see the marbles with my fingers, I had to get out and hunt down some that were like them. I wouldn't dare do it to this day. Good for you Steph. I've always wanted to do that. LOL Edna

Oh my gosh, it was not easy. I've saved the staples. The few flakes which were in the bag. The bag itself of course. It's all there, carefully stored. I could put it back together. I want to keep looking at them though. They're fascinating.

What do I see in hand?

I see a marble type which I've never seen in any other packaging. I think I see similarities to some 1-inchers which Joe Street recently posted which he believed to be Master Glass. Here's his pic. The center right maybe be closest.

post-279-1216437861_thumb.jpg

But mainly I'm completely in awe to find original packaging for any sunburst-like marble of this size. Has any other original packaging been seen for marbles of this type? It would take a lot of chutzpah for me to call these anything other than Alox.

I do have a lot. But not that much.

Here are some more shooters from the factory stock, with other colors and possibly more coverage.

post-279-1216439353_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mike shows closer-up pix here, Today's History Lesson...Alox Toy Company..Long Read but informative!!!, and tells quite a story.

Apparently John Frier did make the sunburst marbles. The cat's eyes were bought from other companies but the sunbursts are theirs.

A line from Mike's article:

As time went on John became much more proficient at producing marbles and began creating some of the Master type marbles shown at the bottom of the page.

I liked the History lesson. I don't have any shooters, wish I did, those are gorgeous!!!!!!!!

My home town is about an hour from St. Louis, and a friend of the family came by 2 whole boxes of these. He runs a small antique shop just outside of Effingham, IL. I just don't know enough about marbles to be able to tell him a whole lot, shame on me since I have been enjoying them for so long.

I had a bag already, and he gave me another; saying he had a couple boxes full.

Do you know when these came out?

Sincerely, Jill Marie

post-279-1221765697_thumb.jpg

Steph thanks for linking the story! I am going to post the Alox Pictoral history shortly with more pics...some of which you have probably seen.

Jill, if your friend would like to part company with some or all of those I would be willing to trade or purchase them. I am beginning to think that pursuing a large collection of Alox Marbles is in my future..being that I am from St. Louis and all!

• 2 years later...

This is some original Alox packaging, not backfilled. Kinda on the mind-boggling side, I think you might agree.

AloxAgates_shooters_veryoriginal.jpg

Just now saw this, it is mind-boggling .

Pic of "Paul Bunyons " from Ravenswood Bags i opened .

Steph ,those pics of the Alox marbles you opened are great .:)

post-2241-13002096295_thumb.jpg