Poor Richard's Almanac- Jabo:a Classic 1-14-09

JABO: A Classic. January 14, 2009

Posted by ourfriendben in wit and wisdom.

Tags: David McCullough, JABO marbles, machine-made marbles, marble collecting, marbles, toy marbles

add a comment

A while back, our friend Ben wrote a post called “We’ve lost our marbles” about how the great tradition of American toy marble-making has almost become a lost art. While elaborate handmade marbles continue to enjoy a niche as (often pricey) collectibles, the great companies that dominated the world market from the 1900s through the 1950s with amazingly elaborate machine-made marbles have died out one by one. M.F. Christensen, Akro, Christensen Agate, Peltier, Alley, Ravenswood, and dozens of others are now just names reverently intoned by marble enthusiasts and collectors.

As I write, our friend Ben knows of only two companies still making machine-made “toy” marbles in America. One, Marble King of West Virginia, is still making some of the marbles that made it a household name among marbles-playing kids back in the 1950s. But the other, JABO, is doing something that every marble enthusiast should be watching: It is making American marble history, right before our eyes.

JABO’s beginnings were humble, like most great American success stories. It began in 1987 when Jack Bogard of the Bogard marble family joined forces with accountant and marble enthusiast Joanne Argabrite to create a new company in what had been the Heaton marble factory in Cairo, West Virginia. Today, JABO operates out of Reno, Ohio, and has become something of a pilgrimage site, thanks to far-seeing marble collectors who recognized the genius of JABO’s marble maker, David McCullough.

If America had the good sense to establish a Living Treasures roster, as Japan and other countries have, David McCullough (along with such great artists as Hopi potter Dextra Quotskuyva) would be on that list. David’s talents as a marble-maker were evident when he worked for Champion Agate, another classic American marble company, and are especially evident in his series of Champion “Old-Fashioneds.” Jack Bogard and Joanne Argabrite had the great good sense to hire David to make JABO’s marbles, and the first intimations of a sea change came in his first year with the company, 1991, when he produced the first run of JABO Classics, limited-production special marbles.

Let me quote Robert S. Block, a leading marble authority, on these Classic runs (from his Marble Collectors Handbook): “The company produced industrial marbles, mainly opaques. However, Dave McCullough would produce three or four limited runs each year of ‘Classics’ in sizes from 5/8″ to 1″. Each run was different from any previous run, and the marbles were not like any other company’s. Many fluoresce, and they contain many innovative colors and were produced in very short runs.” (The shorter the run, i.e., the fewer marbles produced, the more collectible they are.)

When Robert Block wrote this, David, for many years now a full partner at JABO, was only warming up. The marbles he has produced in the last couple of years—2007 and especially 2008—are arguably more innovative and gorgeous than any machine-made marbles ever previously produced. His JOKER, Madyia, JINKS, Dark Knight, and Last Dance runs display incredibly ornate patterns, and showcase rare materials formerly only found in handmade or single-company legendary marbles: oxblood (an opaque dark red), aventurine (glittery green, blue or black sparkles), lutz (gold glitter), mica. Even the less spectacular marbles from various runs are being named by collectors, like the famous Peltiers and Akros of old: JABO’s Captain Megan, Rebel, Punkin Peewees, Tie Dye, Lilac Expression. Extraordinary marbles like the Woodstock shooters (shooters are the big marbles, in this case about an inch) are so outstanding, they belong in museums.

Every JABO marble is different, but there is something about JABOs that makes them instantly recognizable, even by rank amateurs like our friend Ben. Perhaps it’s the depth of the transparent glass, the intricacy of the designs, the unusually rich glow of the clear colors. JABO marbles simply stand alone, like all the great marbles of the past—the Christensen Agates, with their unbelievably bright, pure colors; the Akro corkscrews and Popeyes; the M.F. Christensen “9″ slags. You know when you’re seeing a JABO, just as you know when you’re seeing a Peltier. It’s an incredible achievement.

What makes it more incredible is that this is 2009, not 1909 or 1939, when labor was cheap and marbles were a hugely popular kids’ game. In these days, when everything tends to come down to the bottom line, Dave McCullough’s and JABO’s achievement is nothing short of a miracle. And it’s ultimately a five-part miracle. Let’s break that down into its five compenent parts.

First of course is David McCullough’s extraordinary talent and willingness to experiment, and Joanne Argabrite’s and Jack Bogard’s willingness to support him in his work. Second is the enthusiasm 0f private collectors to fund special runs like the extraordinary JOKER run of 2008. Third is the dedicated work of the JABO historians, which I’ll get to in a moment. Fourth is the group of handmade marble makers who recognize the glory of JABOs and use them in their own work, such as Eddie Seese’s Rebel Shooters and other JABO remelts by such contemporary marble-makers as Joe Schlemmer, Sammy Hogue, and Jim Davis. And fifth are the ordinary everyday collectors like you and me who support David McCullough’s and JABO’s work by buying their marbles for our collections.

Let’s backtrack to those marble historians for a minute. There could be no history without historians to record it, and this is as true of JABO marbles as it was of the Revolutionary or Civil War. JABO is blessed to have dedicated enthusiasts following what’s happening as each new development in David McCullough’s marble-making adventure unfolds.

Steve Sturtz and Michael Johnson have already written two books documenting the JABO phenomenon, JABO: A Classic and David’s JABO Renaissance. Thanks to Sturtz and Johnson, we can follow along as living marble history is made before our eyes. Our friend Ben understands that a third book by collector and JOKER patron Jim King is also in the works. I hope that many more will follow, and that David McCullough and JABO keep on forging new ground. It’s incredibly exciting to be present when history is being made, and you’re aware of that, be it marble history or statecraft! What a privilege, and thanks to Steve, Michael, Jim, Dave, and everyone who’s making it possible.

Want to pick up a few JABOs and/or JABO books of your own and get in on the ground floor of the most exciting development in American machine-made marbles in our lifetime? Forget about the official JABO website (www.jabovitro.com). It’s shockingly behind the times in terms of picking up on what’s going on with its own company and the marble-collecting community.

Instead, head to eBay, where JABO enthusiasts like JABO historian Steve Sturtz offer books and exceptional marbles for sale. Prices are starting to skyrocket as marble collectors finally realize what JABO is doing, however, so get over there now if you want to own a piece of marble-making history for a bargain price! Because these special runs are being supported by collectors and investors rather than the open market, there’s no telling how long JABO can remain viable, which adds a poignant urgency to the whole story. But for now, you too can still be instrumental in marble-making history.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that I read it on another link and was much impressed by what was written. The lady is a good writer. Wonder if she is a marble collector? She sure picked some good things to write about from Steve's book. Bout time somebody appreciates the work of Dave McCullough. Edna

On another board there were a lot of very positive comments about this article. Then the "downing" started. You know the usual JABO haters, Sturtz haters. They even posted that Steve wrote this. Well, he didn't. The lady who wrote it saw that post and was really hurt by what was said. People chose up sides and slung mud at each other. Good to see that not happening here. It's a great post that gives Dave McCullough some great publicity and says nice things about a lot of other people too. Hurrah for Lou's board. Edna

The real importance of the Poor Richard's Almanac article was lost on the negative people. It's importance is that it is the first article of which I am aware that is outside the marble community that recognises the greatness of JABO and David's body of work. It is also the first to name him as the best machine-made marble maker ever.

I think Sellers Peltier pretty much stands in a class all his own. From numerous patents and many inventions as varied as gob feeders to size sorters ect I think no one else really comes close. And untill the recent runs with lots of outside contributions did any of the Jabos really come close to the beauty of the earlier Peltiers? And those things were made many many decades ago. And I think Arnold Fiedler did a pretty good job at CAC and Akro. Having made marbles 80 years ago that no one has come close to replicating says a whole lot IMHO. And are we forgetting about Martin F. Christensen. Yes Dave has done a great job, but the best machine marble maker ever,lets get real. Some of those those old timers made the glass and designed the machines, that made the marbles. Peace,Galen

Galen, Patents are nice, but don't look at the colors of a patent or a gob feeder. Dave has set new standards that exceed CAC and Pelt in terms of aventurine you can actually see, mica, different colors of oxblood, most complex swirl patterns ever, and the number of colors per marble and this imparticular vastly exceeds CAC

Throwing store bought glasses into the pot that results in a finished product is long way from actually making the glass and making the machines that make the marbles. And whose ideas was it to use the goldstones and other materials. If you say it was all Daves ideas I know a few people that might take offense to that. And don't dare try tell me it was his idea to use multiple crucibles which helped in the last runs. Do you really believe adding a bunch of different bought glass into the pot to create multiple colors is that big of a deal. Implying that the stuff being done at the recent Jabo runs is anywhere near the genius of Peltier, Christensen, Fiedler or even Alley is rediculous

peace,Galen

Edna,comparing these marble types to Jabo marbles is like comparing Tai food to Tex Mex.As we all agreed awhile back it's just a matter of taste .We don't all like the same thing equally.I am with Galen here,my favorite is Sellers Peltier and the others mentioned.These Jabo's are beautiful but have not passed the test of time ,yet.Bo

post-279-1232269693_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your confidence Edna, but honestly I am nowhere near being an expert.

I do believe that Sellers Peltier contributed more than any other person to the art of machine made marbles, with much more experimention than people realize, over a very long period; creating new furnaces and glass formulas, and he also designed dozens of glass feeder systems which he used in different configurations. I may be a little biased here, but I'm voting for Sellers.

mike b.

aah! Under read grasshopper, I will tell you the facts. The first aventurine/ mica marble made by Dave was made in 1997 so you and your friends would be wrong on that count. The multiple crucible idea is something that is documented in the notes and manuscript of a book that was finished before 2002 and will be published this year so you would be wrong on that count also. I will look through the manuscript for an exact date if you need it. Be careful to whom you listen as your sources seem to lead you astray regularlly.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your stating of your reasons in an unbiased way. I haven't made up my mind yet on my favorite. I have a lot of favorite akro and Peltier marbles and a lot of the JABO experimentals also, yours included. The jury is still out for me. The work of Sellers Peltier and the other masters is finished and Dave M. is still active. I think time will be the judge. Edna

I have many Jabo's I am proud to own.But I have to say as an Artist that holding the world's record for the number of colors in a marble may not be as great as it may sound.Some jabo's I have seen have too much color,or the colors are ugly.But if you choose carfully good examples can be found as with all marble makers.Only recently has Jabo made marbles without manufacturing damage built in.Bo

post-279-1232269938_thumb.jpg

I'd like to add that I love the special run Jabos, even some of the ones that I was involved with, and I am in no way discounting the accomplishments and contributions that Dave has made to the marble world. However, I'm going to wait a few years until Dave has a chance to make the marbles that he REALLY wants to make, before I say he is the best machine-made marble maker ever.

mike s. b.

maybe the article shoulda said living machine marble maker.....i would bet that dave could mix up colors easy enough and ca did use cullet from cambridge glass...although i haint a dues payin member of the name droppers socitey i would think that howdyshell could take his candle to any of these dudes and hold it up.. daves good at what he does.....his management of the experimental runs shouldnt be made light of....unless of couse if ya want black marbles.....