Boy Oh Boy.......

The market has been flooded...simple as that.

The uniqueness of the runs has been lost.

And if it wasn't so early in the morning, I would do the math - because I know for a fact that for at least one of the runs the cost is much higher than .17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are fortunate. Information is being written and documented regularly and the enthusiasm for marbles is strong. If it had been this way 50-100 years ago, there would be much less questionables and more enjoyment.

I, for one, salute the folks at Jabo for trying its best to keep the marble-making spirit alive in this age of technology. They can have a gazillion runs and that's kewl because the future generations will have that much more to enjoy and with books and such being written, it'll be all the better for them.

I would think it an honor and a privilege to just watch these runs. How many companies still let people come and be a part of such an event these days? It's kinda neat, in an old-fashioned sort of way. It's an art form being kept alive for generations to come.

Have a great day!

:-) Felicia

That's a good idea zigafoose. My husband and I have chatted with people on starchat. They have pirch and mIRC for pc users. There are other services as well...some use a java-based script, which I know I am not able to use with webtv.

The market has been flooded...simple as that.

The uniqueness of the runs has been lost.

And if it wasn't so early in the morning, I would do the math - because I know for a fact that for at least one of the runs the cost is much higher than .17

I agree with the above statement, however what happens to a flood? It will go away. The old company's turned out millions of marbles EVERY day for years. They shipped box car loads. There must have been billions turned out over the years. Where are all those marbles today? Some of them are selling for big money (when you can find them). I believe that what we are seeing with Jabo is the same thing people were seeing from the early 1900's through the 1940's when the old marble company's started fading out. Of course Jabo production is just a drop in the bucket compared to the marbles turned out on a daily bases by the old company's that are just history now. IMHO ----Leroy----

Originally the sight was started to discuss Real Vitage marbles.The focus is changing or has changed to a place where some wan't to show there wares,mostly the Jabo folk.Everyone want's to plug something from time to time,but NEW JABO........TODAY!!!!! everyother day.I am bored with it and they all look the same.

Then hang out somewhere else. You have freedom to choose. Go to Land of Marbles. Your friends are there. As stated long ago, you don't have to read about the JABO's. You won't take away the freedom of others to choose what they want to see and read at this board. Edna

One thing I have noticed, maybe others have as well, is that the same people complaining about Jabo this and that are the same ones that seem to keep posting to the Jabo threads and keep them at the top. Ironic? Or is this just another conspiriacy! lol

Also, just want to thank Lou for the topic's page as well as the easy to read list of post's along with their subject line. It sure makes it easy to pick out what I like and pass over what my not grab my attention at the moment. There is also a neat feature that lets you flip the page and see even more post's, and you can even do a search to find the things that you may be wanting to read or reply too. Thanks Lou!

God Bless!

"Originally the sight was started to discuss Real Vitage marbles.The focus is changing or has changed to a place where some wan't to show there wares,mostly the Jabo folk.Everyone want's to plug something from time to time,but NEW JABO........TODAY!!!!! everyother day.I am bored with it and they all look the same. "

You have talked to us in the past about your research. Instead of complaining about JABOs, why not start a very positive thread on a subject of which you have some knowledge and share it with all of us. I,for one, would be happy to read it.

Regardlessof how dull your work is, I promise not to tell you I am bored with it.

In other words, stop complaining and start a thread you are interested in.

Jabos are fine. I like all marbles. Heck if someone wants to sell some then go ahead. I mentioned about the number of runs and I guess I opened up the door to some haters. The run I was at was cool and I even got to dig some. If you don't like the tribute runs...........I got some black Jabo industrial marbles I would sell you. :Emoticon-jawdrop:

Thurs. 4/23/'09 Noon Mtn. Daylgt. Time

I can easily see where the perception of magnitudes of Jabo marbles would be the perceived conclusion. This is not the

case. Please reference the statistics provided in "Jabo, a Classic (2008), Sturtz and Johnson. When the quantities are

put along side the phenominal railroad car lots of the past they pale in comparison. And to equate the Jabo quantities

with those of cat's-eyes is ludicrous. What has been happening at Jabo for the past year is a joyous happening in the

world of marbles and a regular renaissance in marble production. I'm enjoying it for what it is.....great fun with marbles.

Now in defense of cat's-eyes. Seems some people have not caught up to Castle & Petersons groundbreaking book

from 1998 strictly on the subject of cat's-eyes. There are cat's-eyes that are a wonder to behold. Personally I

consider myself a disciple of Marlow when it comes to cat's-eyes. Keep your eyes peeled for my 87 CAT'S-EYE PHOTO

SERIES w/descriptions shortly to be posted in installments on Elizabeth Kempski's Marble Mental Board.

David Chamberlain

Thurs. 4/23/'09 Noon Mtn. Daylgt. Time

I can easily see where the perception of magnitudes of Jabo marbles would be the perceived conclusion. This is not the

case. Please reference the statistics provided in "Jabo, a Classic (2008), Sturtz and Johnson. When the quantities are

put along side the phenominal railroad car lots of the past they pale in comparison. And to equate the Jabo quantities

with those of cat's-eyes is ludicrous. What has been happening at Jabo for the past year is a joyous happening in the

world of marbles and a regular renaissance in marble production. I'm enjoying it for what it is.....great fun with marbles.

Now in defense of cat's-eyes. Seems some people have not caught up to Castle & Petersons groundbreaking book

from 1998 strictly on the subject of cat's-eyes. There are cat's-eyes that are a wonder to behold. Personally I

consider myself a disciple of Marlow when it comes to cat's-eyes. Keep your eyes peeled for my 87 CAT'S-EYE PHOTO

SERIES w/descriptions shortly to be posted in installments on Elizabeth Kempski's Marble Mental Board.

David Chamberlain

I am looking forward to the cat's eye thread from David Chamberlain. It seems even more special and appropriate with Marble Mental having the longest cat's eye thread. Lots of lovely cats there, some are absolutely amazing!

I am looking forward to the cat's eye thread from David Chamberlain. It seems even more special and appropriate with Marble Mental having the longest cat's eye thread. Lots of lovely cats there, some are absolutely amazing!

Not only has he written and studied cats' eyes extensively, he has very interesting sets of beautiful cats that he sometimes sells as "learing pieces.?

I agree with the above statement, however what happens to a flood? It will go away. The old company's turned out millions of marbles EVERY day for years. They shipped box car loads. There must have been billions turned out over the years. Where are all those marbles today? Some of them are selling for big money (when you can find them). I believe that what we are seeing with Jabo is the same thing people were seeing from the early 1900's through the 1940's when the old marble company's started fading out. Of course Jabo production is just a drop in the bucket compared to the marbles turned out on a daily bases by the old company's that are just history now. IMHO ----Leroy----

I really don't think it is fair to compare ANYTHING thats being made to day to anything that was made yesteryear. The one BIG difference? Everybody and their mother collects today and nobody throws ANYTHING away.

ALL the (car loads of) vintage marbles we keep hearing about? they are pretty much gone. Mom threw them all out. Along with all my vintage yankee baseball cards. Nobody thought to save these things then and thats why the BIG dollars (they ARE rare). Todays not the same. Everything is being kept somewhere safe for the future. Not saying todays marble won't have any value. Just saying they won't be worth nearly as much as it's older brothers.

(imho) in the future the supply will dominate the demand.