Boy Oh Boy.......

Our type of hunting is like anyother hunt. We go out into the middle of where slowly get out of the truck and sneak around on the ground down wind....until we see it.... the only color visable on the ground..... MARBLE!!! we yell. lol We have found 6 marbles in the last month at old homestead sites out in the middle of no where oklahoma!!! gotta love the hunt!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I didn't have marbles as a kid, found my husband's childhood ones almost 2 years ago and became fascinated by them.

I think each era had their own specialness. I wasn't around during the 1800's or early 1900's and I think I would have enjoyed the toy marble part of the Industrial Revolution.

As I see it, we are in a 'living' history, where people continue to make marbles for others to enjoy. Stories to be told to future generations are unfolding daily.

So many of the old ways and arts seem to be fading away and it's great to see glass artists and marble manufacturers keep it alive in this century. Old or new, they will all have a special place in many peoples hearts...and I think mostly, the fond memories these little glass beauties bring to someone's mind.

Have a great day!

:-) Felicia

Well said Felicia. The more marbles the merrier I say! There's something for anyone and everyone in this hobby. Personally, I am most fond of the old Ravenswood, Alley, Cairo and Heaton marbles (in that order :lol: ). Although of course, I like lots of others too. My son has always liked Jabos, and I've always appreciated them as well. And now, the special runs coming out of there are no doubt some of the sweetest machine made marbles produced in America for a very long while. My son goes completely bananas over them. The first Joker run really got him collecting, thanks in large part to the kindness of the people involved, and all the other collectors who warmly welcomed him into the marble community and encouraged him to "collect what you like". Since then, he's never seen a special run he didn't like, and we've had a wonderful time going to shows together and visiting with other collectors and talking about marbles . . . of every kind. And frankly, I'm sort of happy he's not competing with me for those old WV swirls! -Ric

P.S. A HUGE THANKS to all of those folks who have helped and encouraged Jake along the way. I am very grateful to each and every one of you!

Well marboman, I won't leave Pelts, CAC's, Akro corks in school yards - but I will leave some JABO's that are not so pretty as Mylees, Edith Irenes, or Hods. I will give those beauties away but I want to see who gets those - so at marble shows - yes children get those beautiful JABO's. They also get akro corks, Pelt swirls, etc. I guess it has to do with growing up poor for Weldon and me. How many marbles does a collector have to have. If you were here marboman - looking at our collection you would be struck by seeing 5 of a kind in a row in a box. My akro marble boxes hold 25 marbles. Sometimes I like a marble so well that I do collect 25 alike in a box, but most of the time it's 5. Now people on this board know cause they've been recipients IF I HAVE MORE THAN 5 OR OCCASIONALLY THAT 25 TO FILL A BOX, DO I REALLY NEED ANY MORE? AND WHAT DO I DO WITH THE 6TH MARBLE OR THE 26TH? People I know receive those marbles. I give them away. I'm not a marble hog. I love seeing peoples faces when they get a marble they really like and want for their collection. I know other people who do that too. I spoke with Ron Shepherd about looking for Vitro buttermilks for me. At the last Tribute run Ron handed me a box with a buttermilk shooter in it. Wow! I never dreamed I would ever find a shooter. And I didn't. Ron Shepherd gave it to me. Weldon and I are members of the Texas Marble Club. We regularly give marbles to the club to be given away as door prizes. We don't give marbles we can't sell or don't like. We give marbles we would want in our collection. If you really knew me, you would know I'm a Bob Hamon fan. I have more of Bob Hamon's marbles than any other artist I collect. Those Hamons are treasures to me. Now and then I find one on the bay that I already have. What do I do? I try to buy it and then when it's mine, WHAT DO I NEED WITH TWO? But I always know someone I'd like to share Bob Hamon with so that marble is given away. Come on folks, it's not all about money. It's pure joy to collect and then help other collectors enjoy marbles too. And kids..... why that's the best. Where is the next generation of collectors coming from if not the kids? Oh marboman, I almost forgot, I've rarely had an excess of CAC's, but I have had on several rare occasions. What if it's a marble I already have? I give it to a friend. Some folks reading this have been recipients. And no, I don't have so much money that money doesn't matter. I am a retired educator. Weldon is a retired educator. We are not wealthy unless we compare growing up with now. Looking at now, compared to growing up, we are so wealthy; but it's not money. It's friends, it's giving, it's loving people, it's service to our community and church, it's being good stewards with the blessing we've been given. We will never be rich in money by anyone's standards. We also will never be described as greedy, stingy, or opportunistic. I wouldn't leave a $300 CAC in a school yard, but if I didn't need it, I bet I could find somebody that does. And it just might be somebody that could never have one if they had to buy it. I've been one of those and so has Weldon. I think it's called "payback". So many people in our childhood did the same for us. Oh, and one more thing..... I agree that everyone should be able to express their opinion without fear of discrimination or recrimination. Edna

From day one until today,i have always collected what caught my eye. I have and had all ages and types of marbles,old and new. I could NEVER pin it down to one,two or three, type,company,or artist. It would have been much easier if i had. I have been a regular at Jabo for several years,not just 2008 and 2009. I have been LUCKY enough to be at five of the special,experimental runs or whatever label you wish. If i had to give away every single marble that i received from those runs,it would have been a good investment for me. What i received from those runs,money CANNOT buy. If you were not there,you may not understand. A few were there for the investment of making a profit alone,but even most of them left with more. If you were there you know the facts,the numbers,etc,if you wanted to. Most runs were different numbers all around. So i don't know how anyone can say what a cost per marble was or even what each investment was. Money for each run was also used in different ways and purchases. It is easy to take hear say or whats seen on the surface and apply it to all. But it can be deceiving. Even the timing of each run in 2008 and the fast 2009 has many reasons. All i can say is ENJOY it or let those who wish to,do so,while it is still possible. Not everyone has to be or will be any part of it. Here in the USA it is called choice.

Like a lot of good things in life,this also will end. Like a lot in life,maybe sooner than many of us want.

Glad i was there,THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am loving the results of all of these Special Jabo Experimental Runs. I have attended several of the runs and have met great people and, from my perspective, consider them all friends for life. I am too old to create or harbor ill feelings, and refuse to even think about it. I don't suppose I will ever recover my dollar investments, but my time investments have already been rewarded with the joys of friendships, experience, and lots of fun.

Since I have been referenced earlier, I accept the right to repeat the following:

"There's so much good in the worst of us,

And so much bad in the best of us,

That it makes no sense for any of us

To find fault with the rest of us."

I am going to go on enjoying this great hobby, even if the day comes when I am the only

collector left. But as long as there are at least two of us, I do my best to make it work.

Burtpost-254-1239242644_thumb.jpg

I'm seeing the same thing Edna. It's why I'm not taking the time to take pics of some really nice vintage handmades I've gotten recently. No one seems interested so why bother. I have nothing against Jabos at all. I have some. I'm just more interested in vintage and some contemps. Just me.

carole

I'd like to see some of those vintage handmades, for one. Post away!

I'd like to see some of those vintage handmades, for one. Post away!

That is the same thing I tell everyone that complains about the JABO threads. Post something and get the ball running. Some asked to split the main board into vintage/JABO forums. If I did that there would never be any posts in the Vintage forum.

Lou

Lou,I think that a seperate Vintage page would be an improvement,at least for me.The board has been slow anyway,maybe more people would participate if they didn't feel like they were being brainwashed with Jabo marketing .Vintage collectors would like to talk about and see some good old mibs.It seems to me that the Jabo folks just want to market there stuff.

not everyone, barely anyone, is trying to sell us jabos. they simply are showing them off. i made a comment about the multiple runs and it has opened up a floodgate. some, most, of those new jabos are great and i would love to get some when i have time. i also like my dug up vintages and bought/found vintages. Happy Easter everyone. I used to post pics of my finds but my time is used up at the moment in Parkersburg. I did find time to walk in a creek today on the way home and found some neat little mibs. I will post them once clean. Only spent 20 minutes in the creek b/c rain was coming.

Just my opinion;

If you dont want to take the time post vintage marbles,then you should not complain that theres not enough vintage marble post.

I dont realy see the need for a seperate forum for either.Just about any topic(ebay plugs,marble id,marble shows and reports,questionable ebay sellers,birthday wishes,etc.), shows up in general chat,and many could be posted somewhere else on the board.It doesnt matter to me,its not my "show",and Im just glad there is a board to post on.

If it doesnt interest me,so what,it might be interesting to someone else.

Griff