Blue Aventurine In Older Mibs

I have a few different mibs, that I believe are older, and they have some blue in them. Sometimes the blue is just shading as it is just under white, sometimes the blue is in thin-ish lines. Also, I don't have a loop to check these out with, just a small magnifying glass which only works so-so because it's actually part of an old camera lense! lol Anyway, could you guys & gals post some pics of examples where you can see blue aventurine in mibs? However slight, or blatantly obvious would nice to get a mix of each. Thank you so very much, once again. God Bless

P.S. I also have some that almost look like little single flakes of colored mica near the surface but they are few and far between, what would that be? Dirt? lol

Keep in mind that aventurine is esentially tiny, undissolved crystals of metal colorant. The easiest way to notice it is to take the piece into sunlight and slowly rotate it. You would pick up fine reflection in the color.

IMG_9262.jpg

Wow! That's a ton of aventurine! Did they ever make them with thin lines of the stuff? What I mean is, lines that would look essentially blue until maybe I took it out into the sunshine... Which I will have to wait about four days now for the sun to shine up here in Grey Sky Land, otherwise known as Michigan. lol Thanks Alan, God Bless

Wow! That's a ton of aventurine! Did they ever make them with thin lines of the stuff? What I mean is, lines that would look essentially blue until maybe I took it out into the sunshine... Which I will have to wait about four days now for the sun to shine up here in Grey Sky Land, otherwise known as Michigan. lol Thanks Alan, God Bless

"Aventurine" can show up in any width color band. The sun will tell the tale (when you are once again graced with its presence).

So, my rookie question is... (lol) There is basically, no way to mis identify aventurine in a mib. It's pretty obvious by the examples shown. So, if it doesn't sparkle like a Jabo, it doesn't have aventurine. And I appreciate all of you posting your pics,very awesome and helps me out greatly. God Bless!

Well, actually ....

Sometimes it sparkles only a little. There are some pelts with enough aventurine to qualify as having it in an auction ID, but not enough to wow you.

Sometimes even if there is a lot of aventurine it can be hard to describe what it does -- it can glisten more than sparkle.

in my rookie opinion

Hmm, now you have thrown me a curve ball Steph... lol I have some old mibs with green swathes on them, and on that green you can see a flake here and there which I thought was just something that rubbed against it. But the flakes are definately below the glass surface, and have a metallic sheen on them. I know it's not mica, but's it's odd to say the least. Maybe just a wierd way the color came through? Or is it a sign that aventurine was used in the mib but didn't come all the way through, or was just some left in the tank/crucible. I really should get some pictures and show you, but they don't look anything like the pic's posted above, so it's probably nothing. God Bless!

and have a metallic sheen on them.

"sheen" is a good word for how some aventurine shows up. I wouldn't personally call it metallic. But as I said I have a hard time describing it. I'm thinking of a sheen across the color band. Not a sheen on an individual flake

Or is it a sign that aventurine was used in the mib but didn't come all the way through, or was just some left in the tank/crucible.

"used" is a tricky word. not sure aventurine was "used". I think it was a by-product.

Here's one I'm not certain everyone would agree has aventurine. Somedays I can't be sure I see it. Not clear which sparkle is aventurine and which is wear. But it's there. lol ... pretty sure ... :blink:

Tiger_TypeIII-1.jpg

I have some old mibs with green swathes on them, and on that green you can see a flake here and there which I thought was just something that rubbed against it. But the flakes are definately below the glass surface, and have a metallic sheen on them. I know it's not mica, but's it's odd to say the least. Maybe just a weird way the color came through?

The term "aventurine" that is used within the collecting hobby has become a quasi-mystical substance - as if there was a barrel at the factory that said "Aventurine" on the side.

The truth is - the substance is simply an excess of the metal salt colorant used in the marble....excess to the point that it wouldn't dissolve into the batch glass any further. This - the colorant powder just sat in the glass as a solid. Once the marble was produced the excess metal colorant flakes reflect light.

The flakes you see are the colorant that didn't dissolve.

Very nice akro sparkler with green aventurine Alan. May I ask where you got it? I recently at the L. A. in March acquired its twin. If its OK I stole your pic too. Too keep on topic the company that produced the most marbles with aventurine on purpose is peltier. Sometimes the aventurine will be in the main color but then goes too the next color. Here is a pic where there are a few with aventurine .

post-175-1246482831_thumb.jpg

Very nice akro sparkler with green aventurine Alan. May I ask where you got it? I recently at the L. A. in March acquired its twin. If its OK I stole your pic too.

New Philly show - 2008. I think Zaboo has one too.

Thread

Alan, thank you so much for the explaination. I think I have a much firmer grasp on aventurine now. As for finding it, well... that's another story. Yet, my hunt will continue! Thanks again!! And God Bless!