Need Help With Marbles And Box

Tim

Gropper was a jobber. They distributed marbles made by others. They put their name on the package though.

If that's "real" then I think it's a nice find.

Something about the print on this box looks a little wrong to me. And maybe the construction of the box itself. Not saying it IS wrong. However, with the known forgers about I want to fish up some other examples before I say more. Maybe someone else will recognize it as A-OK.

Where'd you find it, if you can say?

p.s. here are some Gropper pix:

http://marbleconnection.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6792

i have seen 4 of the boxes that were packed inside another jobber box from gropper. Bert has it now.(and they were all peltier orange slags!) however Galen is right. the boxes didn't come with 4 rows that I have ever seen either. they had 5 rows. and the ink doesn't quite look right IMHO.

Yeah . . . the forgers do an okay job of making them seem old and weathered. But so far they don't make them look professional.

Here's one of the 5x5 boxes (from Lloyd's auction). Look how sharp this is.

HoneyOnyx_Lloyd_b.jpg

Compare the box in question:

post-1668-1259598177.jpg

It looks like it was made with a rubber stamp. The font doesn't look right and the blurry, incomplete impression sticks out like a sore thumb. If there ever was a time when Gropper didn't invest in nice-looking boxes, my gut feeling is that it would have been before they started jobbering marbles. By the time of "Prima Agates", Gropper was bigtime and they knew the power of presentation. I'm sure of it.

Steph has it's number, but I wanted to point out the marbles. They are all slags with would sell for $1-$5 each in perfect condition but these are far from perfect. You would not expect to see original boxed marbles all dinged and chipped. If they were taken out and mistreated, how could they all make it back into the box? Obviously this collection was assembled from loose marbles in the wild.

I have someone who has these along with a large collection of other various marbles to possibly sell them on consignment.

These caught my eye. There is also some bags of marbles with the paper headers still intact.

So the verdict seems to be not the real deal huh?? Now I am wondering about the others. There are a lot of single marbles also, from contemps to German swirls. Interesting. There was even a sulphide, but it's already gone. I believe this person bought this whole collection as it was. I'll see if I can get pics of the others in question now.

Thanks for the help

Tim

So what makes a forged Gropper Jobber box complete with faded label less beautiful and less collectible than a forged German Swirl complete with pontils?

That's a rather broad question. :-) I can appreciate a well-made reproduction box. This one isn't very pleasing aesthetically though, not to me, and it looks worse and worse each time I look at it again.

I have some lovely contemporary marbles which could be taken for vintage. They look sweet each time I look at them. I guess it helps that there are happy memories associated with how I got them. Also, I wasn't told they were original. So there was never any let down. I always knew who made them.

Lotsa issues. As you know. (lol) :)