Early Akros...

zaboo

I have a dumb question Where do all these digs take place also do they still have them? I always heard about them but was unable to find out about them so can someone please tell me all about them thanks for whoever answers my questions

can't believe nobody else knows, as i know it's been posted before! 1 or 2 years ago Tim Gentilozzi bought the rights to dig the Akro site. he went through the place with a back-hoe and screens. before that it was illegal to dig there. that does not prevent it, just made it so they dug at night under tarps with a lantern. Roger & Claudia Hardy were probably the first to dig, don't even think it was illegal when they started digging! The Hardy's started the Akro Agate club and have the largest collection of Akro Agate in the world. think that was told after Tim was done they were going to pave it over, don't know if that ever happened, but am pretty sure the digs are done. i do know this; Akro probably disgarded more marbles than all the other marble factories combined. that tells me they were proud of their products, and quality controll was a must!

now I might be wrong here scott, but I believe tim's dig was slightly 'off-site'. not 'in the yard'???

These babies were found over 10 feet down on the original akro factory site. None like this were brought up with Tim's dig... they mainly found the patch types and cullet. but I have been wrong before...

I believe tim's dig was slightly 'off-site'. not 'in the yard'???

These babies were found over 10 feet down on the original akro factory site. None like this were brought up with Tim's dig... they mainly found the patch types and cullet. but I have been wrong before...

From the pics I have seen from that dig you hit the nail on the head

does the green one in the second row have a transluscent brownish/green base? I have one similar to it, but not hand gathered like yours and have been trying to place it. Thanks for your time, those mibs are awesome!

Craig

actually it has a moonie glass base! and I didn't notice that until hubby back-lit it!

For those of you that think only patches were found during the Big Dig, with all due respect you have been mislead. some of the mibs that came up out of that ground were extremely rare. anyone lucky enough to meet a man named Tom from Clarksburg at the sistersville show you would have seen examples of the rarest, less than what you can count on your hand are known to be owned. but many other types were found. actually the holes were named for what was being found in them. it was really neat. also the placement where you think the dig took place...way off. I was very lucky to be able to be there for that. I learned alot and met the "guys". I know some may think that this is slightly vague. that was done on purpose. But please do believe me....The big dig brought up patches and almost every other type. as for those awesome slags...those are older marbles and were not found in great numbers due to the older stuff being city property stuff. LOL at tomb raiding. you seriously think that digging up discarded marbles is the same as digging up holy ground and desecrating a grave? That might be why you do not get the full reports. As for what is going on today......well thats between us tomb raiders. I guess.

I agree ! I was also there during the dig with Tim and Frank. It was all legal,not all digs are illegal,many have been legal,along with the not so legal ones. Again unless you have taken part in at least one dig,how can you know the true facts if you were not part of it first hand. The tomb raiders legal or not,also provided us with past history that otherwise may have not surfaced. I agree that tomb raiding is somewhat different than digging marbles. Yes,a lot is not reported about digs for various reasons,some we have just witnessed. Once again,i can prove 100% that all marbles discarded at various sites were not all rejects or flawed. Each site has a different reason or story but it takes effort,time,money and work to get facts,instead of a biased opinion. One reason all the sites nowdays are normally no trespassing is because the owners are afraid of being sued. Another reason,like most things goes to greed. This discussion could go on and on,like it has for years. One fact is,that some people will never change thoughts or feelings no matter what is put in front of them. Yes digging continues,will the details or information be avialable? Doubtful,who wants to be criticized for their effort and work. I have dug with well over 50 or 75 different people and no more than a dozen came back for the second time and no more than a half dozen came back the third time. They found it not to be as simple,easy or glamorous as expected. Plain and simple,it is dirty hard work. Many times with little or no reward. The most common reply afterwards is that it is much easier to buy them. If you are only after the marbles,most days can end with disappointment. The dirty marbles have been one of my marble teachers along with the books,internet,shows and friends. Even a dirty,scratched,fractured,broken,half marble or a piece of cullet,can be a piece of the marble puzzel. But if you have all the answers,then you will not have a need for these. Some of my most cherished marble memories are of digging with friends,if we got marbles or not. Yes some of my friends are or have been marble diggers and i am proud to say it. But i guess that should stay between us,like most of it. How many dug marbles are in your collection? Are you 100% sure? Did you take all your marbles from original packages? I hope someone continues to dig marbles as possible,for our benefit.

the marbles I pictured came from a 'tomb raider', as you call them. Under very dangerous conditions too. (And yeah, I do know the story behind them as well, but do not wish to make that public, as interesting as it is.lol because I promised I wouldn't) And we got these before Tim's dig.

Ron, you forgot to mention the terrible glass shards that can penetrate your hands? Heard that can be a nasty side effect! I'm afraid we would be a couple that would come back everytime to dig with you Ron. Dirty, hard, wet, sometimes cold, time consuming? yeah, we'd be back, again and again. but then we're die hard maniacs.(no kidding) Would we be disappointed if we only found a few pieces? nope... We'd love it. and be back the next day if we could.(when can we go?!)

ps. I only posted these for ID purposes...nothing more.

I agree ! I was also there during the dig with Tim and Frank. It was all legal,not all digs are illegal,many have been legal,along with the not so legal ones. Again unless you have taken part in at least one dig,how can you know the true facts if you were not part of it first hand. The tomb raiders legal or not,also provided us with past history that otherwise may have not surfaced. I agree that tomb raiding is somewhat different than digging marbles. Yes,a lot is not reported about digs for various reasons,some we have just witnessed. Once again,i can prove 100% that all marbles discarded at various sites were not all rejects or flawed. Each site has a different reason or story but it takes effort,time,money and work to get facts,instead of a biased opinion. One reason all the sites nowdays are normally no trespassing is because the owners are afraid of being sued. Another reason,like most things goes to greed. This discussion could go on and on,like it has for years. One fact is,that some people will never change thoughts or feelings no matter what is put in front of them. Yes digging continues,will the details or information be avialable? Doubtful,who wants to be criticized for their effort and work. I have dug with well over 50 or 75 different people and no more than a dozen came back for the second time and no more than a half dozen came back the third time. They found it not to be as simple,easy or glamorous as expected. Plain and simple,it is dirty hard work. Many times with little or no reward. The most common reply afterwards is that it is much easier to buy them. If you are only after the marbles,most days can end with disappointment. The dirty marbles have been one of my marble teachers along with the books,internet,shows and friends. Even a dirty,scratched,fractured,broken,half marble or a piece of cullet,can be a piece of the marble puzzel. But if you have all the answers,then you will not have a need for these. Some of my most cherished marble memories are of digging with friends,if we got marbles or not. Yes some of my friends are or have been marble diggers and i am proud to say it. But i guess that should stay between us,like most of it. How many dug marbles are in your collection? Are you 100% sure? Did you take all your marbles from original packages? I hope someone continues to dig marbles as possible,for our benefit.

yep ..... bill

post-75-126097486488_thumb.jpg

post-75-126097490592_thumb.jpg

post-75-126097493221_thumb.jpg

post-75-126097495528_thumb.jpg

post-75-126097501905_thumb.jpg

post-75-126097515685_thumb.jpg