Ebay Win

duffy

marie its a stuff they used back in the day to make marbles...its like rubber and i think its made from latex or something like that...the first golf balls weree made from it...they rare and some get pretty pricey..theyre rally hard to find...

Yep, they can be pricey!!

All early rubbers originated from tree resins... Gutta Percha is just one of them.

Wikipedia explaination is probably easiest explaination...

Probably the most recognizable form of gutta percha is in early photo cases like this one...

Ebay auction

Here's a Gutta Percha that's got a lot more structured design... But, there are some with just simple splotches of color that look very much like the one in Steve's auction.

post-3-126296853192_thumb.jpg

'Course... There are rubber balls that have that sort of coloring too...

So, we keep our fingers crossed that Steve gets lucky!!! ;)

Ya know, Steve... The more I look at the big clear one next to it, the more that one intrigues me, too...

Could be just a big Vacor clear based swirl...... OR..... All those lines could be headed over to a pontil on the upper left / rear side.... It doesn't look like a "standard" German handmade... But, it could be an end of cane sort of thing. A few of those lines look pretty well spaced and directed for a random Vacor...

I know, I'm goin' off on a daydream tangent here... But, when people who only know a little about marbles get their hands on some, the "usual" stuff is easy for them to market... The less usual often gets put aside as less desirable....

'Crossing fingers on the other hand........

Yep, they can be pricey!!

All early rubbers originated from tree resins... Gutta Percha is just one of them.

Wikipedia explaination is probably easiest explaination...

Probably the most recognizable form of gutta percha is in early photo cases like this one...

Ebay auction

Here's a Gutta Percha that's got a lot more structured design... But, there are some with just simple splotches of color that look very much like the one in Steve's auction.

post-3-126296853192_thumb.jpg

'Course... There are rubber balls that have that sort of coloring too...

So, we keep our fingers crossed that Steve gets lucky!!! ;)

I have a few nice gutta perchas but haven't figured out my new camera yet -- so I'll appeal to zaboo to post a few of hers that have VERY intricate designs -- they're really something (and thanx for being willing to sell me MY intricate gutta perchas, Dani!)

OK.... One more step.... If they are all contemporaries, the large clear could be an early Matthews and the 3 mid-sized solid colors could be his "gumballs!!"

(Hey, it could happen!!! LOL)

I'm just not seein' how this could POSSIBLY turn out to be a bad deal!!!! ROFLMAO!!!