Ot: Ebay Is At It Again.....

Scoop

Back in the beginning, Ebay was such a GREAT idea!!! FREE enterprise that covered the globe in seconds!!!

How freakin' COOL was that??? :party-243:

Simply MAGICAL!!!

Then, things got taken a little too far... Need a Kidney???

Ebay had to ban the selling of body parts.... OK, that makes sense...

After a while, other things became "banned material."...... Most of it made sense...

There was logic to it... basic safety kinda stuff...

I never felt the need to study the list of banned material, cuz I never expected I'd be in a position to actually sell anything that crossed that line....

I mean.... Really.... When joining a website, does EVERYONE read the miles of legal monologue before clicking on "I Accept These Terms??"

Hell... We all know what it says and we know we aren't going to cross any of those lines, right???

Then, it started to get more personal.... I'm sure there were / are other things that I'm not even aware of... (Here's the list...)But, I do remember the anger some sellers had when the ruling came down that sellers could no longer sell anything related to a convicted murderer....

That seemed to be in response to the tasteless creation of the Serial Killer trading cards... There was a small roar from those who cared... But, it went largely unnoticed....

At some point, anything with a Swastika became "Banned Material."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........... Yes, I can see SOME logic... BUT, let's get REAL!!!

The Swastika has had a TERRIBLE meaning for a relatively short period of time, considering how long it has been a symbol and how many cultures it has been a symbol from...

Right there, the ban crosses the line... But, let's think about how it crosses the line, even as represented as a Nazi symbol...

What exactly IS the point?? OK, Ebay says the use of that symbol is forbidden in some countries where ebay is in use.... Ahhhhh, I think that's a little weak...

I bet, in 5 minutes I can find something legal on ebay that is banned in "some country" where ebay is active...

No, I don't support Nazi-ism... No, I don't LIKE the holocaustic history of WWII....

HOWEVER... It IS history. It WAS very real... We cannot make it go away.

In the collecting world, there is a HUGE base for military collectibles... Despite what anyone might want to think, Nazi items are a BIG part of that...

What is the point of denying it's existance??? I just don't get it.... <_<

Then, there's the endangered species stuff.... Yep. That makes sense...

Well... At least SOME of it does...

But, when I can't sell a piece of Lenox china because the title of it's collector series includes the word IVORY???? Oh Please..... Spare me....

Sooooooo, for those who have gotten this far and have the patience to listen to me RANT!!!!

:fighting-109:

(Ironically, when I'm SUPPOSED to be creating ebay auctions for start tonight....)

Here's the article that sparked all of this.......

Ebay Bans the Sale of.....

I just don't get it...................... :white-flag-25:

(OK, back to work... While impatiently waiting to be rescued by truely "Free Enterprise!!")

i here ya sue, i thought the same thing as you in all your writings but what sent me over the edge is when they banned selling old railroad keys, used to be a good little market, their theory was soon after 911 that terrorist could buy these and use them to wreck a train, so the sellers started to call them "opening devices" you can sell the locks but not the keys, lololol,, when i heard that i said, "shit" why not ban the planes they sell, why not ban pocket knives or hunting knives granted there not illegal like switch blades(thank you james dean") for that, but kill just as easy, you cant sell switch blades thats been around for years, but if i based any business on "what could happen" as opposed to "what might happen" ide be out of business, lets ban all paper products in fear of getting paper cuts,,, what alot of ivory sellers are doing is replacing ivory with the word bone, i guess its ok to sell bone stuff and not ivory, they dont get pulled unless someone complains about it, and the complainers are usually the people who bid against you at local auctions that are jelous(sp) about you and what you sell and how well you do or someone thats tried to sell a banned item who got something pulled and it pissed him off so he/she reported all the other people who are getting away with it, i have a couple of them freeks around here, jeepers,, heres a new one i heard at the end of last year, if you make 20 grand on ebay ebay is required to report that to the IRS, any thing under is ok, oh yea,, do a search in ebay, that put a hault to alot of my local buying and thinking "what a great way" for a disable person to make a few extra bucks, i rant as well, i agree with you,, bj

when i heard that i said, "shit" why not ban the planes they sell, why not ban pocket knives or hunting knives granted there not illegal like switch blades(thank you james dean") for that, but kill just as easy,

Don't be givin' 'em any ideas, John!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

Ebay's ban on Nazi items doesn't extend to coins or stamps. I had been in the habit of dumping any Nazi era German coins on ebay because I don't really have any other market for them and I get them in lots of other world coins, so when I got a Hitler Jugend knife, I listed it on ebay with a $155.00 BIN. It stayed up for several hours, then I got an email notice from ebay that I was in violation of their policy, etc. The listing was taken down within a few more hours, during which time I couldn't access it or end it myself.

Here's the funny part..... about the time that the listing was removed by ebay, I got a paypal notice that the item had been paid for. Oddly, I never got the notice that the item sold other than the paypal notice with the item # and title. I shipped the knife to the buyer and was never billed for the final value fee by ebay. So, now they've banned ivory too. Ok, then. I still sell on ebay but nothing like I used to. Their loss as well as mine.

Banning of High Times? one of the best sources for counter-culture art work and comics from the 1970's (censorship) to add insult to injury - I just had a "Reed Waller" creator of "Omaha Cat Dancer" (a risque cartoon) Record pulled off, for violation, of course there was no nudity or graphic image, they simply pulled because it had his name on it and for no other reason, they saw his name and assumed there was something evil - ooooo... nudity in cartoons... and all it was was a Jazz record. now that is censorship. eBay is a Joke, the only thing worse is PayPal!

I agree with the banning of HIgh Times. It is a source of ignorance for the drug-addicted part of America. Desensitization of America is the problem. With these out of the way....if one kid says no that might have said yes then it's a win!!!

I might agree with that sentiment... It's probably been 30 years since I've been involved with anything like that... And, with 2 teenagers, the issue is a concern to me....

I'd also like to agree with the banning of the Swastika for purchase to neo-Nazi skinheads. I certainly don't approve of the slaughter of elephants for their tusks, or turtles for their shells (Oh yeah, tortise shell... Even if it's a 100 year old carved hair comb.... BANNED!!)

BUT.... This is a country that prides itself on "Freedoms." If a kid is going to get hung up on drugs, it won't be because of a vintage issue of High Times purchased off of ebay...

There are reasonable government regulations for all of these items. Ebay DOES have accomodations for "Adult Only" auctions..... Antique ivory and tortoise shell are legal to sell...(But, not on ebay...)

What really gets me is... Despite these measures, many of these TRUELY "illegal items" are slipping through!! Rather than police the areas properly, they are using useless blanket measures to cover their butt and still, the fox is in the hen house!!

I know it's a HUGE system.... I try to understand that it MUST be terribly difficult to cover all of the bases that pose problems.

I just think they need to start using their millions to bring in some people who have a CLUE and tie off some of the frayed edges properly. The whole system is spinning out of control.

Here's the funny part..... about the time that the listing was removed by ebay, I got a paypal notice that the item had been paid for. Oddly, I never got the notice that the item sold other than the paypal notice with the item # and title. I shipped the knife to the buyer and was never billed for the final value fee by ebay.

I never expected I could find myself enjoying a story of a Nazi item sale so much!!! Thanks!!

;)

It's not all stamps, David... That just means that there are stamps in that category that will be pulled if detected... Click on the "stamps" link and you'll see the specifics...

I'd betcha, the swastika stamps are there...

I never expected I could find myself enjoying a story of a Nazi item sale so much!!! Thanks!!

;)

Yeah, I went from being bummed at having the listing pulled to laughing at ebay's quandary. Their system must have enough lag time that the item got bought and they couldn't charge the FVF.

i here ya sue, i thought the same thing as you in all your writings but what sent me over the edge is when they banned selling old railroad keys, used to be a good little market, their theory was soon after 911 that terrorist could buy these and use them to wreck a train, so the sellers started to call them "opening devices" you can sell the locks but not the keys, lololol,, when i heard that i said, "shit" why not ban the planes they sell, why not ban pocket knives or hunting knives granted there not illegal like switch blades(thank you james dean") for that, but kill just as easy, you cant sell switch blades thats been around for years, but if i based any business on "what could happen" as opposed to "what might happen" ide be out of business, lets ban all paper products in fear of getting paper cuts,,, what alot of ivory sellers are doing is replacing ivory with the word bone, i guess its ok to sell bone stuff and not ivory, they dont get pulled unless someone complains about it, and the complainers are usually the people who bid against you at local auctions that are jelous(sp) about you and what you sell and how well you do or someone thats tried to sell a banned item who got something pulled and it pissed him off so he/she reported all the other people who are getting away with it, i have a couple of them freeks around here, jeepers,, heres a new one i heard at the end of last year, if you make 20 grand on ebay ebay is required to report that to the IRS, any thing under is ok, oh yea,, do a search in ebay, that put a hault to alot of my local buying and thinking "what a great way" for a disable person to make a few extra bucks, i rant as well, i agree with you,, bj

hahaha remember a few years ago the guy that was selling glass dildo's? well i figure he was getting revenge on someone and I turned the idiot in. we all know him. and he even put in his description that it was a glass dildo. now those kind we have to have rules but the biggest part of the rest is so ignorant i cant believe real humans are doing it. i think they've turned it all over to monkeys.

marie

He Marie,Go over to ebay,and do a search for personal massager.

That stuff isnt listed in the adults only catagory.

You can put a cornchip with the face of jesus on,but no hunk of glass,that resembles a penis.Its not even a "personal massager",just a piece of glass that resembles something we were taught about,in health class.

Maybe they should ban all pictures of orchids,because they resemble a,,,,,,,,

BAH HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!

Griff

He Marie,Go over to ebay,and do a search for personal massager.

That stuff isnt listed in the adults only catagory.

You can put a cornchip with the face of jesus on,but no hunk of glass,that resembles a penis.Its not even a "personal massager",just a piece of glass that resembles something we were taught about,in health class.

Maybe they should ban all pictures of orchids,because they resemble a,,,,,,,,

BAH HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!

Griff

Well, you know.... when someone massages something with one of those, it IS kinda personal. ahaha

as much as it pains me to say this by looking at that,,,, yep it looks like a penis, schlong, cock-a-doodle doo, johnson, porky pig, samorii warrior, love dangle,, let see what else we can call it, come on ladies i know you have pet names,my ex wife sure does, :) ,, jeepers , you tried to sell that?,, lolol,, save it for valentines for your better half and say have fun,,, lololol,,man did this thread get pointed south,,,,,,,, BJ signed big john

We live in a funny world.

Maybe I should give it another shot.

Listing title:Rare Vintage Akro agate cullet,little johnson shaped.

Of course,then someone looking for an outboard engine,would plobably turn me in!----LOL

We are living in the era of the "politicaly correct".

Dildoes are not accepted,but personal massagers are.You can teach a 4 year old what a penis is,but you cant sell anything that resembles one,reality tv,is not,drivers licenses for non english speaking citizens,big bonus checks for failures,cats loving dogs,,,,OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!