I Know Nothing . . .

Ric

Not fiberglass. The only person to have made Fiberglass marbles and he(Jeffrey Grey) calls them Fiber Agates had a fiberglass business and also collected marbles. See Barrett's book for pictures. Jeffrey is also a good friend.

Also not Fiber Optic. This marble is about as purely glass as any marble could be from my sights. And that is a normal glass crease that you see very often. David

Not sure what you're thinking of as a fiberglass marble, David. Doesn't sound like what marblemiser is talking about though. Lots of companies have made glass ingots for the making of fiberglass.

Thanks all. Like I said, I know very little about hand made marbles. I've seen a lot of wrinkles, creases and cold spins on machine mades that sorta look like a pontil but this one seemed unusual.

What size? More pics Please? marblemiser

Here you go Miser. I didn't intend to ignore your questions. The marble is about 7/8" at the largest and out of round by about 3/32". There are lots of bubbles in a kinda cloudy green glass. I have seen some of the marbles intended for fiberglass production. This doesn't look like the ones of those that I've seen. After looking at the "pontil variations" page at the Akron marbles site, I thought it might be a hand made puree with a strange melted pontil or something, but I'm pretty much over that. lol. Here are a couple of other pics.

And Dan, thanks to you for the pics too.

2141644110104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

What then is a fiberglass ingot? Jus' wondering. What threw me was the statement "not even a marble" because the green glass marble shown looked pretty much like a marble to me. I guess I've never seen fiberglass ingots but I sure have seen fiberglass marbles and to my knowledge the only person to have made them was Jeffrey Grey. David

David, check out p. 92 of American Machine-Made Marbles. That's about Libbey Owens Ford of Vienna, WV making rough marbles, not for play but for later use in making fiber glass. Being spherical, they move easily through the different things they have to go through - rolling along conveyor belts and such.

I've seen short references here and there about marbles being made for fiber glass - being made on different continents. We marble collectors just don't hear about it because it's boring industrial stuff.