Jabo Green Brick Be Aware

Mike

All,

Since many are interested in Jabo marbles looking too much like vintage, I just listed a Jabo Green Brick type marble on Ebay for your enjoyment. Search Jabo Green Brick and you should find it. I sell under Mikeymarble. I should let you all know that I was sitting at the Jabo factory with everybody and we said....."What if we could make a green brick that looks like the old stuff?" We measured out the right amount of base glass, picked the most perfect color rods to match color and threw them in at the right place at the right time. I should mention that this was all done in the middle of run while making some 50 other coleo combinations but we were good! Five minutes later, we had the perfect knock-off. NOT!!!!!!!

Had me panicked and suckered for a moment! Check the Frankie Run thread though for my last comments re. a few of these that were sent to me by Ron Shepherd. I got eighteen and one is tasty enough to maybe present a problem. Actually the specific marble is f----n' incredible. I'm not a Brick person but "Whoa!" Quite the coincidence your post since I got the marble(s) only yesterday. David

Mike specializes in irony. I think he was saying that's not what happened.

. . . but maybe I'm wrong!

Or maybe you're being ironical. I'm so turned around. I think I better chuck it in for the night. Been a long day.

All,

Since many are interested in Jabo marbles looking too much like vintage, I just listed a Jabo Green Brick type marble on Ebay for your enjoyment. Search Jabo Green Brick and you should find it. I sell under Mikeymarble. I should let you all know that I was sitting at the Jabo factory with everybody and we said....."What if we could make a green brick that looks like the old stuff?" We measured out the right amount of base glass, picked the most perfect color rods to match color and threw them in at the right place at the right time. I should mention that this was all done in the middle of run while making some 50 other coleo combinations but we were good! Five minutes later, we had the perfect knock-off. NOT!!!!!!!

What if we up the ante on the Jabo Green Brick thing? Go check out the latest Jabo Green Brick from The New Decade Run of 2/8/10 that has a "Tail" on it as if it were hand-gathered. I am sorry to direct you to my Ebay listings (Mikeymarble) but have no clue as to how to post photos here. Any of you are welcome to get the photo and link it here if that removes some of the commercial aspect of what I am doing. Am I selling or educating? Both.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARBLE-MARBLES-JABO-BLUE-OXBLOOD-AKRO-MIMIC_W0QQitemZ290424074053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMarbles?hash=item439e9faf45

"Folks on the Marble Chat Boards are sure talking a bunch about marbles like this. I was at this run. Nobody said a word about making anything like anything. What comes out of the marble machines when glass and color is added just happens."

This is a caption from one of your jabo auctions. Is it true that David is just dumping stuff in at this point.....? No. David is an artist. He is making some real nice stuff and working towards a gaol, I am sure. I don't care what he makes because I have no CACs to worry about. The jabo new runs are nice to look at and I hope they keep coming. But your auction reading tends to say that David had no idea of what might come out of the machine. But in this thread you said you had an idea and made it happen. Which is it?

I know I said there have been some very vintage looking mibs made. And they seem to be getting more vintage looking. I hope they do not do it intentionally, that there was some talk about a more vintage look, but I don't remember anyone saying that they had already intentionally made anything to look vintage. Maybe another case of reading things that are not there or did someone else say they had? And I do remember someone even made and used a machine to try to make corkscrews. They reset things a bit to make more flames so maybe some would consider these attempts to make more vintage looking marbles?? And I know some of the folks involved have discussed attempting to do it.

So then it is offical Dave has no idea of what he is doing and just dumping glass blindly into the machine. This is exactly what sissydear and mikeymarbles has led us to believe. People are just showing up with fists full of money. Glass is just being picked up along the road anywhere they can see it. Then everyone just throws what they have found in and magically the flame pattern gets better each run and the colors get nicer. NOT!!!! (that was for you sissydear) :cool-smileys-262:

Man, if only Dave knew what he was doing he would really be making some nice marbles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARBLE-MARBLES-JABO-BLUE-OXBLOOD-AKRO-MIMIC_W0QQitemZ290424074053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMarbles?hash=item439e9faf45

"Folks on the Marble Chat Boards are sure talking a bunch about marbles like this. I was at this run. Nobody said a word about making anything like anything. What comes out of the marble machines when glass and color is added just happens."

This is a caption from one of your jabo auctions. Is it true that David is just dumping stuff in at this point.....? No. David is an artist. He is making some real nice stuff and working towards a gaol, I am sure. I don't care what he makes because I have no CACs to worry about. The jabo new runs are nice to look at and I hope they keep coming. But your auction reading tends to say that David had no idea of what might come out of the machine. But in this thread you said you had an idea and made it happen. Which is it?

I will attempt to answer as best I can. I am not sure if this will add anything to the marble knowledge base but here goes and it is just my take on the subject. Has one put some serious skin in the game with Jabo Special Run marbles? If the answer is yes, no further explanation is needed because if you have been there (with money on the line), you get it. If the answer is no, I suggest one should invest (if you really care) in a run to find out what really happens at a special marble run. Sometimes what you think you are getting and what you get are two different things. Sometimes during the run the "Artist" leaves the building to go to the Post Office or run an errand while you are melting $1,200 or more per hour but maybe that was all planned out. Ebay copy is sometimes not a doctoral thesis. Sometimes the written word is often interpreted differently by different folks at different times. It all comes down to......Do you like the marble? If the answer is yes, most of the other crap does not matter. Sometimes my motive is all about the marble and sometimes it is all about the money. I try not to make things too much more complicated than that. If I had a bunch of product knowledge on a particular subject, I would not be spending so much time reading and posting on marble boards. Pretty deep huh?

I will emphasize for thems who ain't got it yet that Mike's initial post in this thread was concluded with a "Not!" thereby negating what had been said before. Who was the comedian who was the initial practitioner of this word?

All anyone has to do is read Webb's chapter 10 in "Greenberg's Guide to Marbles" Edition 2 (1994) titled Glass Machine-Made Marble Production to be amazed at the complexity of marble production. While every effort is made to create what one wants the minute by minute not fully controllable changes that are occurring and the periodic addition of ingredients often in seat of the pants shovelfuls do not necessarily result in something that is either a perfectly purposeful product or a completely random result. Thank goodness that they are at least trying to do something right at Jabo.

As for the canard of "He said," "...there was some talk that," "...did someone else say," "...some folks have discussed doing it," and on and on. Well, all you've got to do is call Dave McCullough and ask him what his intentions are. Tell, you what, I'll save you the trouble. All he wants to do is make a pretty marble and have fun doing it. I'd say, Mission Accomplished! David

I will emphasize for thems who ain't got it yet that Mike's initial post in this thread was concluded with a "Not!" thereby negating what had been said before. Who was the comedian who was the initial practitioner of this word?

All anyone has to do is read Webb's chapter 10 in "Greenberg's Guide to Marbles" Edition 2 (1994) titled Glass Machine-Made Marble Production to be amazed at the complexity of marble production. While every effort is made to create what one wants the minute by minute not fully controllable changes that are occurring and the periodic addition of ingredients often in seat of the pants shovelfuls do not necessarily result in something that is either a perfectly purposeful product or a completely random result. Thank goodness that they are at least trying to do something right at Jabo.

As for the canard of "He said," "...there was some talk that," "...did someone else say," "...some folks have discussed doing it," and on and on. Well, all you've got to do is call Dave McCullough and ask him what his intentions are. Tell, you what, I'll save you the trouble. All he wants to do is make a pretty marble and have fun doing it. I'd say, Mission Accomplished! David

Bravo!

That chapter in Web's book describes MK Cat making and patch and ribbon making very specifically. Those machines are multi stream and the JABO set up is very similar and also multistream.

Yes David, the number two goal of all of these private runs was..."to make the prettiest marbles ever made." I am sure this #2 goal was the second goal because David and I made that part of our mission statement as the second goal. The first goal was to keep jobs on shore and that has been done for 2 and 1/2 years now.

Test question: WhICH WAS THE PRETTIEST PRIVATE RUN MADE? The answer is always ..."the next one"....so I guess that means the tank wash yesterday is the prettiest run for now.

So then it is offical Dave has no idea of what he is doing and just dumping glass blindly into the machine. This is exactly what sissydear and mikeymarbles has led us to believe. People are just showing up with fists full of money. Glass is just being picked up along the road anywhere they can see it. Then everyone just throws what they have found in and magically the flame pattern gets better each run and the colors get nicer. NOT!!!! (that was for you sissydear) cool-smileys-262.gif

Man, if only Dave knew what he was doing he would really be making some nice marbles.

Now that was hilarious!

So then it is offical Dave has no idea of what he is doing and just dumping glass blindly into the machine. This is exactly what sissydear and mikeymarbles has led us to believe. People are just showing up with fists full of money. Glass is just being picked up along the road anywhere they can see it. Then everyone just throws what they have found in and magically the flame pattern gets better each run and the colors get nicer. NOT!!!! (that was for you sissydear) :cool-smileys-262:

Again, I am a short timer with Dave & Jabo but will try to add some insight. Only been buying for 10-12 years. I am not sure but think Dave has been making marbles for 30-40 years. Dave is pretty easy to talk to and most times if you call Jabo, he will answer the phone. I would not want to speak for Dave but it is my impression that you could call Dave and ask about marbles and he would share most anything with you. He can tell you himself how things work and what can happen. If I were you, I would not take anyone's word on this when you can get the straight scoop right from the horse's mouth. My personal opinion is that I think Dave loves his gig and likes to tell folks what he does and how he does it. I will say that as recently as February 2010, Dave told his guys running the machines that if they kept at the job of making marbles, that they would start to learn how to get it right and make some pretty marbles. These are not exactly the words Dave used but something to that effect. By the way, this was Dave's way of being funny.

I do not know you Akro but I do think you want to stir things up and that ain't too funny. If it makes you feel better to say and post what you do, how about this......I think you are rude! I will never again try to add anything to your opinions from this day forward. Life is short and you should get one!

Sharing information shur does make me mad.

David

edit:

I also believe Jabo is intentionally making better looking marbles.

the audacity

Akros point might have been, its not quite as random a process as some would have you believe, there most diffinetly is a craft and this one is improving.

Sharing information shur does make me mad.

David

edit:

I also believe Jabo is intentionally making better looking marbles.

the audacity

Akros point might have been, its not quite as random a process as some would have you believe, there most diffinetly is a craft and this one is improving.

Marbleus,

I am in agreement on all four of the points you just made.

See once again you all have it wrong. This thread was not about David, who is by far "the man" when it comes to making machine-mades, and it is not about Jabo, which is keeping the dream alive. It is about mikey marbles and his deceptive ebay descriptions. read the initial post. It was completely about him. at no time did i say anything negative about Dave or Jabo. I did however throw in a "NOT" statement but that was just for fun. read the posts and quit deflecting the issue. Heck he even admits that the ebay auction description was for the money. Just read the posts.