Boxes Of Ravenswoods

got 2 boxes of these in the mail today.....10 cent, 50 count red boxes....full of Ravenswoods (and some nice ones!!)--i am assuming they are original to the boxes---they were pretty dusty!

here's one of the boxespost-2092-127319272857_thumb.jpg

and the first grouppost-2092-127319273188_thumb.jpg

Not! Unfortunately I must rain on your find. The boxes have been stuffed. They never held Ravenswood according to any knowledegable Ravenswood collectors I have known. In the late 1980s/early 1990s Charlie Stutsman had a significant inventory of these Red Boxes and stuffed them himself with Champion marbles. Never Ravenswood. There was a slightly shorter blue box with graphics otherwise exactly like this red box but with a different variety of Ravenswood marbles(No opaques, most all translucent swirls). I recognize some of these marbles as Ravenswood but they are alien to the box. I have never seen one of these mint red boxes(in this size) with anything other than Champion marbles in 20 years. This red box is pretty much legend amongst old line marble collectors. Heck, in the Smithsonian Magazine marble cover issue which shows some of Bert Cohens wonderful accumulation of marbles in one montage photograph there right in the middle is one of these Red Boxes. Cracked me up when I saw it! David

Re Buddy, here are some pix from an ebay auction:

(click to enlarge)

th_RavenswoodCatalog001a.jpg th_RavenswoodCatalog001b.jpg th_RavenswoodCatalog001c.jpg

edit: nevermind! I thought there were buddy boxes IN the ad, not just beside the ad. Sorry, I shoulda enlarged the pix before I posted. Been awhile since I looked at them closely.

The Buddy Box shown in the Ravenswood montage photos was filled with approximately 80+ marbles from the 1987 find as best as I've been able to determine. I've had them and have some still. Maybe two still although one of the boxes is rather rough.

I don't know how many of the 10 cents/USA/ Red Boxes Charlie had but he had a lot! There was a time when you could buy them from him full of 60s/70s Champion marbles practically by the gross. I kid you not. I have some of his original order forms around. I need to look at that. Charlie Stutsman was amazing. He may have stuffed those boxes but he sure provided a world of collectors with a lot of nice marbles. He kinda gave Champion a bit more of a name than they had already. And if I were into the production of marbles I'd have been enormously pleased how Charlie highlighted Vitro and Champion in his offerings. I wish I'd bought more groupings of certain marbles that I could have bought from him in groups of 100. Oh well. I'm happy with what I've got or should be. David

PoplarHead,

You've got me looking at them again and although I wanted to make some of them into Ravenswood I think you've got the correct fix on the marbles. Regardless, as Champion marbles they are still a nice find. Most all of my Red 10 cents USA boxes had a much different variety of Champion marbles. I'd have to say again that these are better Champions. I don't think they measure up to the Champion marbles that Dave McCullough made in the mid-1980s while at Champion. That's another ball of wax all together. And that's a personal opinion; I'm probably somewhat prejudiced about those mid-80s Champions because of having acquired them in quantities during my very earliest years being into marbles. You know how that can be. David

David was right on with his first post. These red boxes almost always contain Champions and some have cat eyes. He is also correct about the shorter blue box having Ravenswood marbles most of the time. But as always there are exceptions,these boxes can contain a variety of anything. Because many times people take the Ravenswoods or whatever out of the box and replace them with whatever they have lots of or not fond of. The Buddy boxes were originally filled by Ravenswood. But many empty boxes left the factory after closing. Some of these have and still are being sold flat and empty,unused. Some have been filled with a wide variety,cats,MK's,Jabo's,Champs,etc. Again it is up to the seller and buyer for repersenting and knowing what the item is inside and out. If not positive then,it always has and will be buyer be aware. Different auctions describe things,as is or unknown,not sure,etc. But if a statement of,refund if not satisified,is with the item then that should happen. There can be,always has been greed,crooks,at any auction,anypace,by auctioneers and sellers. Just a fact of life,live and learn.