Alox Marbles-All The Way Baby

Northern Lights

I have been reading some threads lately that have centred around the issue of some newly manufactured Alox marbles and what or who they really are. Some people are quite passionate in their "labelling a name" on these marbles. Are they Alox? Are they Jabo? Are they Jaylox? Who's to say other than the people involved in their resurrection.

I have an analogy I would like to share with everyone that might help you make up your mind. Of coarse, in the end, they will be called what ever you want to call them.

Picture this:

A car manufacturing plant: it's location is irrelevant. Their main item of manufacture is the VW Jetta. Coincidentally, this plant also spits out Audi wagons. A completely different car: and in the real world this plant exists (one location is Mexico - I own one of the cars). Different cars with their own uniquely beautiful options that attract one group of people versus another. Most important here is the fact that both of these care use some of the exact same parts - particularly the engine parts. In fact, some of the very same people assemble both cars at this plant: they even come off the same assembly line. The finished product is that these cars are uniquely themselves. One is a Jetta and one is an Audi. Why is so so different when we are talking glass? Clearly, by using these lines of thought they are unquestionably Alox marbles.

It is clear to me. If ever I am blessed with seeing one of these 3rd generation Alox, I will be, in my mind, looking at an Alox - not a Jabo.

Seems kind of straight forward when I look at it from that perspective.

Let me know what you all think.

Wayne

Who's to say other than the people involved in their resurrection.

Amen!

Excellent analogy.

Nancy Frier restored the Alox machine as a labor of love. Some people at Jabo shared their resources and talent with her and thus were privileged to be part of the restoration. Some of the people there didn't have official ties to Jabo. Some did.

Whoever helped, it was Nancy's project, in her role as heir to the Alox legacy.

The marbles are whatever Nancy says.

That's how I feel about it.

I was kind of dreading this subject being brought up on this board. However, you did it very well. I hope that everyone who participates in this thread will do it with due deference to Nancy Frier and her family.

Her family is part of marble history. She has generously shared some of it with us. I have never met her in person but have spoken with her some and shared many emails and she doesn't strike me as one who would relish the rough and tumble that some of these marble threads become. Let's be considerate of her and her family's feelings in this. Thank you everyone.

I can tell anything you want to know about which parts are which! So what! I will not. What I have seen are marbles that a third generation Frier made. I don't care if they are pretty or ugly. They are important marbles. Nancy put the run together and the result is now she a part of the marble community and she connected to JABO and Alox. Congrats Nancy and thanks for connecting today with a great marble past and comany name.

. . . Clearly, by using these lines of thought they are unquestionably Alox marbles.It is clear to me. If ever I am blessed with seeing one of these 3rd generation Alox, I will be, in my mind, looking at an Alox - not a Jabo.Seems kind of straight forward when I look at it from that perspective.Let me know what you all think.Wayne

Agree Wayne. And got to see a few at the Texas show. BTW, Dave McCullough called them Alox marbles in conversation with him --

Amen!

Excellent analogy.

Nancy Frier restored the Alox machine as a labor of love. Some people at Jabo shared their resources and talent with her and thus were privileged to be part of the restoration. Some of the people there didn't have official ties to Jabo. Some did.

Whoever helped, it was Nancy's project, in her role as heir to the Alox legacy.

The marbles are whatever Nancy says.

And I agree with you, Steph!

Good car analogy but I'm not quite sure I get the point. It's pretty clear that a Volkswagon has a VW on the grille and Audi has their circles. Are you saying that if German Engineered cars are assembled in Mexico, all is good? I'm missing it entirely, I'm sure :unsure:.

Good car analogy but I'm not quite sure I get the point. It's pretty clear that a Volkswagon has a VW on the grille and Audi has their circles. Are you saying that if German Engineered cars are assembled in Mexico, all is good? I'm missing it entirely, I'm sure :unsure:.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Regarding the above query, first off the location thing (Mexico) doesn't mean didley. As indicated in my first sentence on my scenario example, "it's location is irrelevant"

The point I was making is in response to the confusion out there on Marble Boards (All Marble Boards) regarding what to call these newly run Alox marbles. Some wanted to call them Jabo in stead of Alox. They used reasoning for this because of the involvement of Dave McCullough, or the use of the Jabo factory or that others who worked on the run were connected with Jabo, that sort of thing. My argument - well it wasn't an argument more just facts - was that if you look at cars such as Jetta and Audi, they are made at the same plant, have the same workers and bosses, use the same material, and when they come off the production line there is no argument that a Jetta is an Audi or an Audi is a Jetta. It is simple: a Jetta is a Jetta and an Audi is an Audi. Just like a Jabo is a Jabo and an Alox is an Alox. Thereby naming these new run 3rd Generation Alox Marbles: Alox

I also added that if these marbles are sitting n your collection, it doesn't matter what any one else says, you can call them what ever you want - or words to that effect.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Wayne

steph the one brian showde the top ones with the orange peel was run on the alox machine...the bottom ones were the wash out after they rolled the jabo machine back under the tank....

thanks Wayne, that does shed some light. I thought I read somewhere that an old Alox machine was around but I must have skipped over the details making the connection with Jabo, = my confusion. At least I was right about missing the point. I'd have a tougher time properly ID'ing an Alox marble than a Volkswagon for sure. lol

This is all very simple. No hidden agendas. Nancy and EVERYONE present agreeded with her,that for us,we would refer to this run of marbles as " The Third Generation Alox marbles". No one including Dave McCullogh,the Jabo employees or any of us considered Jabo in the name. If they are your marbles and in your possesion,you may refer to them as whatever you like. The same as any marble. Nancy Frier requested that someway she wanted to make marbles once again after 60+ on this machine. Her father is not in good health and she very much wanted to give him marbles,pictures and videos of this last Alox machine making marbles. About one year ago after several contacts were made,it was agreed that it could be done. Alox had direct contacts with Alley,Ravenswood,Master,Heaton and others. The major contacts that made it possible for Nancy's grandfather to get into the marble making business were Alley and Ravenswood people. The realatives of these people were invited to be part of the event. I was the lucky outsider,that was invited to take part. I did help Nancy with some bits of the past history.

After much work and help Nancy was able to purchase the last Alox machine. After much discussion Dave McCullogh agreeded to take on the task to revive this old rusted machine. A little over one year ago Nancy delivered the machine to Jabo. The machine was disassembled,the rolls bead blasted,repairs made,etc. by different people. The rolls had and have holes in them,pits and the tips of the flights are wore bad. But after much work,worry,a lot of faith,the goal was achieved. April 26,2010 the last alox machine ran marbles from a Jabo furnace supplying the glass for a steady six to seven hours without any complaint. The glass did come from a Jabo furnace but EVERY single Third Generation Alox marble came down the Alox machine rolls once again. Most of the run was single color white opaque marbles. The longer the rolls ran the better the surface of the marbles were. We got more than the usual odd shapes of barbells,kisses,etc. Sometimes two or three of the marbles would overflow to the next one on the rolls. Thus causing the odd ones. This is because of the age and wear of the rolls. If the glass stream was to heavy or if the roll speed was slow,the marbles would overflow to the next flight of the rolls. Just one simple reason of many things we all learned from this machine. My shock was,just how slow this type machine actually ran. Being around the newer version machines,the Alox machine looked like it was in slow motion. A few timed counts were made and the Alox machine produced 88 per minute. The other newer machines were producing 168 per minute.

The marbles were not produced just for the reason of sales. That was and still is the last concern of this group. We had a goal and we did it. For me,none of the marbles have the value of what i witnessed afterwards in Dave McCullogh's office. The marbles are nothing but a symbol of what was accomplished. Some of the marbles have been distributed and there has been request from others.

I hope my good friend Nancy Frier does not object to me posting this information. But maybe it will stop or at least slow down some of the questions,misinformation,jealousness,tall tales or just plain out lies.

This is all very simple. No hidden agendas. Nancy and EVERYONE present agreeded with her,that for us,we would refer to this run of marbles as " The Third Generation Alox marbles". No one including Dave McCullogh,the Jabo employees or any of us considered Jabo in the name. If they are your marbles and in your possesion,you may refer to them as whatever you like. The same as any marble. Nancy Frier requested that someway she wanted to make marbles once again after 60+ on this machine. Her father is not in good health and she very much wanted to give him marbles,pictures and videos of this last Alox machine making marbles. About one year ago after several contacts were made,it was agreed that it could be done. Alox had direct contacts with Alley,Ravenswood,Master,Heaton and others. The major contacts that made it possible for Nancy's grandfather to get into the marble making business were Alley and Ravenswood people. The realatives of these people were invited to be part of the event. I was the lucky outsider,that was invited to take part. I did help Nancy with some bits of the past history.

After much work and help Nancy was able to purchase the last Alox machine. After much discussion Dave McCullogh agreeded to take on the task to revive this old rusted machine. A little over one year ago Nancy delivered the machine to Jabo. The machine was disassembled,the rolls bead blasted,repairs made,etc. by different people. The rolls had and have holes in them,pits and the tips of the flights are wore bad. But after much work,worry,a lot of faith,the goal was achieved. April 26,2010 the last alox machine ran marbles from a Jabo furnace supplying the glass for a steady six to seven hours without any complaint. The glass did come from a Jabo furnace but EVERY single Third Generation Alox marble came down the Alox machine rolls once again. Most of the run was single color white opaque marbles. The longer the rolls ran the better the surface of the marbles were. We got more than the usual odd shapes of barbells,kisses,etc. Sometimes two or three of the marbles would overflow to the next one on the rolls. Thus causing the odd ones. This is because of the age and wear of the rolls. If the glass stream was to heavy or if the roll speed was slow,the marbles would overflow to the next flight of the rolls. Just one simple reason of many things we all learned from this machine. My shock was,just how slow this type machine actually ran. Being around the newer version machines,the Alox machine looked like it was in slow motion. A few timed counts were made and the Alox machine produced 88 per minute. The other newer machines were producing 168 per minute.

The marbles were not produced just for the reason of sales. That was and still is the last concern of this group. We had a goal and we did it. For me,none of the marbles have the value of what i witnessed afterwards in Dave McCullogh's office. The marbles are nothing but a symbol of what was accomplished. Some of the marbles have been distributed and there has been request from others.

I hope my good friend Nancy Frier does not object to me posting this information. But maybe it will stop or at least slow down some of the questions,misinformation,jealousness,tall tales or just plain out lies.

Thanks for the info Ron, but this post was not about misinformation, questions, jealousness, tall tails or lies. As you reiterated in you comments, and I stated in my original post, if they are your marbles call them what ever you want. I was merely providing some path to clarifying the discussion out there on what to call these marbles. You can also note that I said these marbles will be called what ever the people who reincarnated them want to call them.

Wayne

I agree totally. I was just putting the correct info out for everyone. It has been posted and discusssed incorrect someplaces. Some people have a problem with anything that is done at Jabo. That is their choice and they are entitled to it. If they are going to put it in print,at least they should have correct information. Or the best they can get. It may not be what they assumed. I cannot understand why some thought this run should be The Jabo/Alox run. The past special runs of over two years were not called Jabo runs or Jabo/Joker,Jabo/Tribute/Jabo/Foxfire,etc. They were simply refered as the Joker run,the Tribute run,etc. This run was not done with a Jabo machine. It was a special run at Jabo but even more different than others. This run was a combination of some special Third Generation marble people,with the help of their friends. It may be hard for some to believe,but it is that simple. Some people have big imaginations,big sticks to stir the pot and lots of time to waste,with post,pm's,emails,phone calls,etc. As the Marble World Turns,tune in tommorow.

This run was not done with a Jabo machine. . . . . . . . . . This run was a combination of some special Third Generation marble people,with the help of their friends.

Thanks for clarifying for me Ron - it means more than you will realize. And just to push the point across the line even further (with respect to your partial quote I have highlighted above, the use of my initial car analogy, and at risk of sounding like a broken record) Vw (Jabo) and Audi's (Alox) were made on the same assembly line (marble making machine) by some of the same people (Dave McCullough and others) yet they are unquestionably known for their own individual identity. Thanks again

Wayne

Well hello everyone, I hate to be in the lime light but since I am I guess I will put my 2 cents in. I always wanted to take over Alox but to keep Alox running it was just not fesable. My father closed its doors in 1989. I was fortunate enough to regain control of the last standing Alox machine last year and just wanted to continue what my grampa had done in 1939, make marbles once again on the Alox machine. I have also taken kites out to the World Kite Museum in Long Beach Washington, and the old shoelace braiders are still working from 1919 at the St Louis City Museum. When this all started I just wanted to get my grampa recognised for all he had accomplished in his life. I m grateful for all he did for me and Alox put food on my plate and clothes on my back. I m greatful for all the support from everyone and do not take offense from any comments made, everyone has a say in how they feel. My mother always told me If you don t have anything nice to say then don t say anything at all. Well I have nice things to say about all of you. I have recieved several appologies and thank you for that. I just want to carry on Alox in any way I can and make my grampa proud, which I know I have, he helps me with my conquest everyday. I never could please my father growing up and for the first time and yes it took 51 years he told me he was proud of me and what I have done with Alox. I m truly blessed for all the wonderful people I have met in the marble circle and for the ones that have made my dreams come true. Thank you Dave Mc. big hug again to you and Ron and MJ. As far as the marbles made the 26th of April, everyone who was involved considered them to be Alox marbles made at Jabo. I called them Third Generation because I m the third generation of our family. My father did not make marbles after he took the reins of Alox when my grampa passed, and the experiment in Branson was just that an experiment. They did not have a furnance, they just cut the glass and used the machine to roll out the marbles. It was quite exciting to see the machine running and that it ran for a day with no failure and that the marbles were round. The marbles we made will be for sale in the future, anything made from marble sales or any other Alox products goes to funding trips for alox and moving my 12 hundred pound marble machine around and for publishing a book all about my grampa and alox. It will include his life and building a glider in 1911 his patents, and the start of the first Shoelace company west to the Mississippi in St Louis in 1919. All info on shoeslace , kites , yo yos, ball and jack set, marble boards,jump ropes, whips ,canes, tops, marbles, and all novelty toys , sales sheets, pictures and anything I have on Alox and my grampa will be in the book, and the present and whats going on with Alox now. I don t want to cause any riff or trouble and if anyone has questions they can contact me at [email protected]. I have enjoyed this venture and love sharing it with people who are concerned. I wish everyone to make their life great as I m trying to make mine. My purpose in life I have come to believe is getting my grampa his recognition, I have pretty much done so this year. Thank you everyone again for all you support, and will be in touch with everyone with more exciting news in the coming months.

nancy l frier

A lways

L oved

O hugs &

x kisses

ps I probably have alot more to say but its really late or really early and I not sure I can think right anymore.

How absolutely AWESOME!!!!

Every once in a while we have a thread that really makes me proud to be a part of this board.

This is one of those threads!!!

Thanks so much Ron!!!

And, Thanks and Good Luck, Nancy!!! Keep us posted when things happen!!

:party-243:

Here are some more pix from Nancy. The turquoise and gold make nice accents. And one of those looks like it has a lot of clear. I still love the snowy white ones. Nice assortment all around.

(click to enlarge)

AloxThirdGeneration008-1.jpg

th_AloxThirdGeneration009.jpg th_AloxThirdGeneration003.jpg th_AloxThirdGeneration004.jpg