Just A Thought...

There was a thread started about the Marble Hall of Fame and discussion happened. Now there is a Marble hall of fame poll. A very special run of marbles came off of the Alox machine (rollers) and then the issue started about what they were.

Will we ever be able just to accept something instead of feeling that we must have a say in it because "dangit we are the marble community and you must listen to us". Stuff like this drives me............. :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

Thank You! :music-rocker-001:

Your words should be written in stone. There are so many reasons why people collect or buy marbles, and to each his / her own. I am not really big on Jabo marbles, I have some, not all that desired. :confused-smileys-17: On the other hand I have a young collector that just loves them. The new marbles with all the color and flames really peaked his fancy. :wub: I am sure I will be picking some up at Sistersville for him. This is the eye appeal and desire he has, why should anyone have the right to tell him he is buying junk, copies, worthless marbles. :angry: I like all machine mades, some handmades, I have high end machine mades but it seems that my eye is drawn to Alley marbles. The point is, I collect for the hobby not the money. I think too many people worry about what they can get money wise, which is OKAY TOO. I am not putting this down. Can't we all just enjoy our own personal desires concerning marbles and support all those others that may have other ideas and view points. There is one thing and one thing only that joins us all and that is a "marble" let's keep an open mind to all in the marble world. :D:D

I have always liked to hear everyones opinions and thoughts on different subjects, not just the nice ones or the ones that verify the way I feel about something. It is a good way to learn. I never did like blinders. And I have learned to accept that others certainly do not all think like I do. Thank goodness!! And I do not get upset or find the need to berate individuals that think differently. I always thought this was part of being an adult.

The problem is not maturity, it is always feeling that everything in the marble world must be approved by some of you. This nice, as far as I can tell, lady brought an old machine back to life and made a run of marbles. She named them what she did and that should have been good enough. But then some of the marble world was unhappy with that. Who cares. It's none of your business. I really think that is it. You few are just nosey and have that "I'm awesome" feeling about yourself. You are only on here to irritate. We all know that. You say things just right so no one can pin you down to what you said but we know you are nothing more than a little kid with a crayon and a blank sheet of paper.

--Peace-- :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

Hey guys, there's no need to get nasty with each other, here... It's simply a matter of looking at a situation from 2 different angles.

Brian, I understand what your saying.... And, I agree.

I collect carpet balls... A few (mmm, quite a few, now...) years ago, a woman who was a direct descendant of the family that created most of the early carpet balls, re-opened production in (I think) the original factory...

These were considered by many to be repros!! Well..... Why??

No matter what we do in these cases, there's no way around the fact that...

On one hand, they are a continuation and should simply be accepted for that...

On the other hand... If a valuation scale has been established for the older version, will the new version damage that scale??

I can solidly stand behind the idea of "Buy what you like, like what you buy..." It shouldn't be about the money....

BUT, let's get REAL!!!

For those of you who have never invested serious money in a marble, that's easy!!!

Sure... I bought some of those newer carpet balls... I bought them because I LIKED them!!!

But, at least for one, I probably paid more than I should have....

C'mon... NOBODY likes to do that...

Also.... As soon as word got out about these balls, the value of my old ones dropped at least 50%.

That's OK, I don't plan on selling them any time soon... But, I would like to think that when it does come time for me to pass them on (either to family, or in sale) they'd be worth at least what I paid for them!!

Due to the cloudiness of that market, because of the newly made balls...

I honestly doubt that will happen in my lifetime....

I keep hearing a LOT about Galen's negativity...

You can do all you want to try and silence Galen. But, Galen has some very good points. And, he's not the only one who feels that way!!! He's simply the only one who doesn't give a rat's ass about what you call him for his opinion.

Honestly, I don't like Galen's negativity, either.... But, he is a member of our community and his thoughts represent the thoughts of more than you may know...

Some boards would play Ostrich, ban him and say he and his thoughts don't exist...

They DO exist!!! AND, they DO have credibility!!!!

If the carpet ball analogy isn't enough, I can go on.....

I had a whole kitchen full of cobalt blue Fiesta.... Worth a LOT of money as one of the top colors....

Until Homer-Laughlin "re-issued" a color so similar, it's difficult to tell them apart.

The collectors fear it and the retail people figure, "Why should I pay big bucks for old, when I can buy it new, for cheap??"

Whether we like it or not, there IS an element of economics here....

For a serious length of time, the "general" German handmade marbles were "dead" on the market...

Because books came out about machine made marbles....

I heard over and over.... "Everyone wants the machine made's now..."

Brian, you DON'T have to take Galen so seriously.... He doesn't care if you do or don't.

He DOES have a point, though....

It may not be the brightest, most fun aspect of our hobby... But, it's a point that everyone should consider just a little bit...

Wow that really........nope didn't change a thing. And I never used HIS name in my post. Because HE is not the only one. And I am not taking away anyone's freedom of speech but I am speaking of their constant negativity. I could care less because when I type I mostly laugh as I do it. That is caused by the pettiness that some of you possess, the unbridled wish-washiness that some of you possess, and the banana that I possess... :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

P.S. I feel that I was not nasty. Nasty would be throwing around curse words with symbols in place of a letter, direct personal attacks, or referring to SP and his board in any way (Now that's nasty).

The problem is not maturity, it is always feeling that everything in the marble world must be approved by some of you. This nice, as far as I can tell, lady brought an old machine back to life and made a run of marbles. She named them what she did and that should have been good enough. But then some of the marble world was unhappy with that. Who cares. It's none of your business. I really think that is it. You few are just nosey and have that "I'm awesome" feeling about yourself.

--Peace-- :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

Akrogatherer also "has some very good points. And, he's not the only one who feels that way!!! . . . his thoughts represent the thoughts of more than you may know... it's a point that everyone should consider just a little bit..."

And yes!! That is absolutely correct, Ann!!!

This is a "Discussion Board".... Consider....

Will we ever be able just to accept something instead of feeling that we must have a say in it because "dangit we are the marble community and you must listen to us".

Just how boring "Wow, that's cool!!" "Nice!!" "Yeah!!! I like that" can get after a while??

If we have nothing to discuss besides how awesome everything is, I could sure get a lot more of my "real" work done!!!

:rolleye-842:

(I must admit... It's awesome when everyone DOES get along!!)

Some good points were made.

But yea ya turned it "nasty".

not sucking nasty mind ya, but nasty all the same.

David

(better I hope)

The bananna is implied!

oh the damn thing wouldnt give me the F it gave symbols

could have spaced the f off, but hell ur right got the same effect without it.

There ya go, David!!!!

On there's 2 good views to this... It's the "nasty" that makes it a problem...

Avoiding "Nasty" means we all have to have some respect for others opinions.

Even if we don't paticularly agree, or like them....

what turn my crank is when people say things just for effect...it helps nobody to beat a dead horse to constantly beride peoples endeavors and its a conspiricy (sp) and noone can convince me otherwise..i could go a long time without sayin just to be sayin something but when the b,s appears i claim foul....is it worth sayin over and over again---i think not...the hidden agenda that started this rears its ugly head every once and again and the proprietor of the tumolt thinks it helps his sales ...ever notice the negitive remrks start every time theres a certain run at jabo?? not by accident my fellow marblers....ck it out yourself....

what turn my crank is when people say things just for effect...it helps nobody to beat a dead horse to constantly beride peoples endeavors and its a conspiricy (sp) and noone can convince me otherwise..i could go a long time without sayin just to be sayin something but when the b,s appears i claim foul....is it worth sayin over and over again---i think not...the hidden agenda that started this rears its ugly head every once and again and the proprietor of the tumolt thinks it helps his sales ...ever notice the negitive remrks start every time theres a certain run at jabo?? not by accident my fellow marblers....ck it out yourself....

steve .. i think it's about time to kik some rocks around again.... been a while .. B) ... bill

post-75-127386505198_thumb.jpg

what turn my crank is when people say things just for effect...

Which may also be a fun reason for them to do it!!! .... Just sayin'.....

"sucking nasty"

Mmmmmmmm, it does have a certain effect!!! LOL

:cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

what turn my crank is when people say things just for effect...

Which may also be a fun reason for them to do it!!! .... Just sayin'.....

so you think its fun sue???? if thats the case i can see why you think its ok....i think that the statement you made was immature and foolhearty....if you think its ok that people act that way is pure bunk....ive had fist fights defending the honor of people when some smart ass said things that were purposely hurtful and demeaning...its not the right thing to do and you dont really condone that kind of behavior do you???..it wouldnt fly among my friends and family and people shouldnt have to put up with that stuff that people said just to make fun of people....people that gang up and bully others is the worst...then have some spokesman then sit back and laugh and chortle...thas aduldt behavior??....its like a test...lets see how much we can piss folks off today....hahahahaha...such fun....itll open a can of whip ass around here...well it did 20 years ago...but i know where to land a punch where its most effective.....dont tell me to lighten up....its not ok to get people riled up...its better to try to get along....maybe im near the end of my rope and could blast away...maybe in a hotel someplace...just sayin....this is of course my opinion..and mine alone...i haint got somebody on the phone chucklin and gigglin...

i took it as approval for that behavior and she thought it was fun.....the group that does the little things to get people riled up for their amusement is no good...if they haint got nothin better to do just move on...

so you think its fun sue????

C'mon Steve!!! You know me better than that!! (Thanks David!!)

All I'm sayin' is.... If a kid tosses a stone into the hen house and everything goes "aflap."

You know damned well that kids gonna toss a stone every chance he gets....

Even if it DOES get him in trouble once in a while... And, if he gets in trouble,

He's gonna come up with every excuse imaginable to justify it!!

("I thought I saw a fox....")

The best way to make it stop? Toss 'im a cluck and move on.....

if that kid was me i woulda got my ass kicked bad...my dad wouldnt stand for it and he was not abusive ,but i got the belt plenty of times...when i needed it.....if its hurts enough he will not want to do it again...hows that for an anolgy...real life lessons cant be taught without pain...if it by studying real intensly or doing things over and over til its done right ...thats not sayin take away a cell phone or an i pad...your anolgy now opened my eyes why they behave the way they do...they need a little ass kickin...some they shoulda got when they was preteen....no wonder some people dont have any respect for people...now im startin to have fun...whose yer daddy now???lololol

I really do try and not be Nasty. It seems some folks feel not agreeing with them or feeling the same way about things or seeing another possible side to things is being nasty. Thats really not true. heck, I am actually a pretty fun loving guy. But I must admit I like catching kids with their hands in the cookie jars. And some of those kids make it very easy.