Jobber Box? Christensen? Help Me Out Here

Hi everyone. I love this forum! I hope you can help me figure out what I have. I bought this box of marbles in the mid-80's at a flea market, and I'd love to figure out what these are! First, do you think this is a jobber box? There are no identifying letters or numbers on it. Second, what do the marbles look like to you? I'm posting a photo of the whole set, and close-ups of two of them. One of the close-up photo marbles is 3/4" diameter, and has turquoise, yellow and black swirled together. The other close-up photo marble is just shy of 3/4" diameter, and has mint-green, yellow and red swirled together. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Diane

post-2664-127415794904_thumb.jpg

post-2664-127415799896_thumb.jpg

post-2664-127415831431_thumb.jpg

my is right

very nice set of christensens

If you decide to sell it, have it appraised first!

Ive not seen a jobber box of christensens, there will be some CAC experts through a lill later.

Hold tight and ya should get comments a plenty.

David

I'm hardly the definitive IDer on this set but you sure got a goody there. What's with the lone marble sitting on the bag? In brief these were made by Christensen Agate Co. , Cambridge OH in business for only a few years late 20s/early 30s. Looks to be all original. Great size! I'm just shooting from the hip but at the very least $5000(And that could be way off on the light side). As the other David says some of the heavies will weigh in on this and be more specific. David

I'm with the others. Kinda in shock, and waiting to see what the big CAC guns think.

Here's a small box I asked about awhile back, also with Chrissies in it. It's the same stained glass pattern.

Not my box! It was in a Morphy auction.

Morphy2006_CAC_5_8ths.jpg

Here's the thread where I asked. It has some discussion about the use of stained glass boxes in the late 20's, early 30's. Colorful Jobber Boxes

Hi Diane Welcome to the best marble chat board! Super nice jobber box find! 5 rows on the left look common CAC swirls. The bag looks used and not original to the box. Will agree with Mr. Bales on the Akro's in fact all the marbles in the first of the last four rows are Akro. The row next with the white with bright red all 3/4"? Maybe American Agate CAC mibs but look like transitional Japanese marbles, need more pics of mibs separate. The next row is pure GOLD!!! not kidding if those marbles are 3 /4 inch and in mint condition, worth $600. to $2500. each!!! Want to see separate pics of those!!! The last row black/white all Akro.

Hi Diane, after blowing up the pic of the jobber box left to right first 4 rows all are common Christensen Agate Company or CAC swirls. 5th row second marble down from top Akro Agate, 4th & 5th marbles down from top same row also Akro. The sixth row Akro on the teal ones, yellow/orange look Akro need better pics to say for sure. Seventh row Japanese crease pontil transitionals. Row Eight 4 three color CAC shooter swirls WOW HOLY CRAP!!! Please show individual pics of these! Last row look Akro need better pics to say for sure. My advice to you is; it's a made box, that is, does not have the original contents, back filled. So if selling piece it out, (sell individual marbles & box separate) you will make the most money! Let me know if you do that! If keeping, bet all the original marbles in the box were indeed CAC marbles, so try to re-fill with those, as to make the box better more original! Super find!

Scott

I concur with Scott fully in his estimations and IDing. Afraid I got caught up in the excitement of it all and rushed to judgement. He has picked it apart with precision. Would be something to know/hear how this all came together originally. The bag and its end knots look a lot like some CAC bags I've seen. My only IDing defense and it isn't much of one at that was I was trying like mad to make those corkscrews into CAC swirls. David

Wow! I feel like I'm on Antiques Roadshow being told that my marbles are golden! Thanks for the info and advice. Steph, I love that you have a picture of another box like I have! Thank you for posting that.

Scott, you asked if I plan to sell, and that is my eventual intention. Realizing that I have something potentially pricier than I realized I'll need to figure out how to manage this. The International Association of Marble Collectors is having a show close to where I live this coming July, perhaps I'll learn something more there, too. Advice on selling marbles (and the box itself, apparently) is welcome!

You asked for photos of the shooters. I'll post photos for each of the four marbles in separate posts. Here are photos for the first one which I will affectionately call "Marble #1."

Thanks again everyone!

Diane

post-2664-127424129956_thumb.jpg

post-2664-127424131202_thumb.jpg

post-2664-127424132103_thumb.jpg

post-2664-127424132874_thumb.jpg

post-2664-127424133825_thumb.jpg

Oh my Gawd! Those four are nice enough to individually pay for your way to and fro for most any marble show in the country. I think you will be receiving in this thread some estimates as to their individual values. I'm out-of-the-loop myself in knowing high end Christensen Agate Co. flame or opaque swirl values. You done good with this box! David

I think you will be receiving in this thread some estimates as to their individual values.

Maybe in this thread , , , maybe not. . . *she smiles archly*

I bet there are a lot of people who would like to get a chance to bid on this but who might be afraid to tip their hand and show their interest too soon.

Oh my Gawd! Those four are nice enough to individually pay for your way to and fro for most any marble show in the country.

What he said!

I almost hate you! No, wait. I don't. Huh. Yes, I DO hate you! No I don't. I mean . . .

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors marbles. I have a simple 10 step plan which provides you with complete absolution but you must send me a marble of increasing worth daily for the next ten days then you will receive a small pamphlet on marble etiquette which will open up the doors of everlasting forgiveness for any and all sins previously committed. Trust me and PM me for my out of state POB. David