Why Is This Guy Stiil Around?

I got dibs on your Hercules!

just kidding. You'll be missed. :( Hoping your marble blues pass. But I understand.

Thanks Steph - farmville is more fun than marble collecting at the moment....I just haven't been able to get the photos to get them to market - maybe I will change my mind before they all get sold - doubt it though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi marblemansion, Bill, if I may.

I had read the heartfelt things that you wrote and pondered them as I walked into town (I live in a small town). I stopped and watched the movement of the river, folks driving along in their cars etc. During my errands and along the bus route, I continued to ponder..I heard folks greet one another with a "Good morning, how are you today?", folks beeping their horns and waving at others they know, I saw a family of geese by a building...simple, happy things...things that are often forgotten along the way, even enjoying the simple beauty of a marble held in our hand.

I continued to ponder and thought perhaps rather than sell something you've spent time to build up, time to document, time to enjoy, maybe you could just box it up for a little while, the marbles, documentation and any other memorabilia? Maybe bring them back out one day in the future, go outside, find a nice place to just sit and look through them again. (Kinda like when folks gather and look through the old family photos and reminisce)

Perhaps, if you have children it could be passed along to them? Something they can learn by and have fun with.

These are just ponderings. It's a nice, sunny Spring day, birds are singing, the aroma of roses is in the air and I've enjoyed my morning and I hope everyone else enjoys their day as well.

:-) Felicia

For the collecting community who appreciate and enjoy the newer marbles that have been produced over the past twenty years in the contemporary hand made field and amongst the many machine-made marbles that have come onto the market it is a fact that the greater majority of those collectors appreciate and enjoy those marbles not for the fact that they might bear some resemblance to something of the past but because most all of these marbles created have advanced the hobby and have exhibited a beauty that in a lot of respects shows respect for the traditions of the past while exhibiting innovations of the present in style, patterns and colors.

The sludges of humanity who are offing these newer creations as marbles of the past do not in the least in my estimation lower the beauty and quality of what has been newly created nor will they in the long run have much more than a piddling effect on the appreciation and value of what has come before. You can take from this what you may. You can let these lowlife scumbags who are pimping your precious marbles bludgeon your enthusiasm for collecting or you can expose them at every turn as I have done for practically all my collecting life and enjoy what you know you love all negativity aside. For in the final analysis it is just you and your marbles.

When I gave a kid last week a small box of select marbles the excitement and joy he exhibited was no different than when I gave kids marbles almost 20 years ago. This past week and a half I received three marbles packages in the mail and my excitement was much the same. David

P.S. Bill, Funny, I never thought of it as Steph keeping me covered. Interesting. Why, because I have never been one to hide behind anyone. I would though like to know what was the specific Post or PM in which I managed to accomplish this unintentional faux pas. Any idea?

Any idea?

David, you made a little bobble in a thread. You called Bill "Scott". I thought it was an accident, so I mentioned it to you in a PM.

Then you PM-ed me back that you had it on good authority that MarbleMansion was Scott Birchfield of Maine. I told you no. You didn't seem to believe me but you did edit the spot where you called Bill "Scott".

I DID try to keep it private, and cover for people [edit: by "cover" I mean "minimize potential embarrassment"], but you couldn't/wouldn't tell me what your good authority was and I was concerned by how far the rumor might have reached so I posted that one "nip it in the bud" thread about the rumor. And I thought/hoped it was over. But it very understandably shook Bill.

Rumors suck.

Bottom line: MarbleMansion is Bill. He is cool. He has contributed to marbledom in a positive way.

Pavcraz is Scott Birchfield. He has perpetrated major frauds. He is not a positive contributor to marbledom. He is endless fodder for threads like this one.

Ah hah! Now it dawns. Not that it is necessarily pertinent to the matters of more import in this thread. I remember fully now and it would be a major embarrassment for another regular on this board if I were to disclose who had given me the bum steer re. the Pavcraz ID. Now, back to this thread. David

Bill,

I know first hand the distaste you feel for the hobby and some on this board. I to was accused of being pavcraz by lstmmrbls. Rumors are dangerous, hurtful and just plain wrong. Don't let alittle bad distroy and hobby you enjoy, because there are good people on this board. They just don't post that often. Hope I was of alittle encouragement. Mike

I know you are gonna call me crazy - some of you are gonna email Lou and Steph and call me pavcraz or worse - have at it.

Naaaaa, that won't happen. Climb down off that whippin' post!! LOL.... ;)

There's a lot of encouragement here, Bill. I kinda like Felicia's idea of putting things away for a while. I've done that in the past and enjoyed coming back...

On top of that there are several others among the community of collectors that pass off BS as real and then even boast about it and they are tolerated and even supported by some in the community while others despise them and it creates very little fondness for collecting.

David is just SOOO correct... This attitude is EVERYWHERE... Especially where there's money involved and even more especially when times are tough...

It's hard to ignore the fakers... Just bear in mind that little of history is as clean cut as we'd like to think it is...

Stick with what you like and enjoy. Avoid what your not sure of and try to keep up on knowing the difference...

Jabos will roll and they too, will fit in... The world will go on... ;)

Thanks Steph - farmville is more fun than marble collecting at the moment....I just haven't been able to get the photos to get them to market - maybe I will change my mind before they all get sold - doubt it though.

Thanks for the brown colt by the way! :P

It had been a month since I had seen one announced! I only had one and needed a second. Now I have my horsie. :cool-smileys-262:

I also have boxed it all up,put it away out of sight and went ahead with other things. IT HELPS,and afterwards i had made the correct decision with advice from friends. I still get in the same positions,but now instead of all the work boxing it up,i just close the doors and leave them closed for a time. Maybe someday,i will leave marbles completely but i do not want to regret it afterwards. In the past,i had to give up(sell)marble items that i will never be able to replace in my lifetime. So,BE SURE,of yourself,weigh ALL options. If it is no longer fun and enjoyment,maybe it is time,but give it time first. Life is short,if at all possible,do what makes you happy. GOOD LUCK Bill.

I figured it out Pacraz swiped the main image for the Bluegrass Marble Collectors home page and used it for his main picture and the other 3 images are of a different marble - if you notice for the 4 photo's on the auction site, there are 3 different seams

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-GLASS-TOY-MARBLES-CHRISTENSEN-AGATE-/140408515705?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Marbles&hash=item20b0ffec79

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110034782371586&v=wall#!/group.php?gid=110034782371586

post-2349-127484647098_thumb.jpg

Very interesting.

I don't necessarily see three seams. Could be two views of one of the seams. But this is very interesting find.

Wonder what the Bluegrass club has to say about that particular marble. Maybe the Bluegrass guy is the person who won the auction and is using Pavcraz pix ?????

the 3 seams are in the 3 different photos of the seams - a marble would normally have one seam (or two) depending on who made it, but if you look at the main picture 1 the second picture 2 and the 4th picture they each show a different seam - the main eBay photo pacraz is using is a swipe of the Bluegrass marble collectors site (exact same image with reflection of light in exact same spot) ipso facto - the first image doen't represent the marble Pacraz sold which would actually be the marble in pictures 2-3 & 4 , they (bluegrass marble collectors) has also placed the picture as their avatar on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/popculturizm?cropsuccess#!/group.php?gid=110034782371586 -

bluegrass image was posted on may 1st - auction ended may 23rd (2 days ago)

Hi marblemansion, Bill, if I may.

I had read the heartfelt things that you wrote and pondered them as I walked into town (I live in a small town). I stopped and watched the movement of the river, folks driving along in their cars etc. During my errands and along the bus route, I continued to ponder..I heard folks greet one another with a "Good morning, how are you today?", folks beeping their horns and waving at others they know, I saw a family of geese by a building...simple, happy things...things that are often forgotten along the way, even enjoying the simple beauty of a marble held in our hand.

I continued to ponder and thought perhaps rather than sell something you've spent time to build up, time to document, time to enjoy, maybe you could just box it up for a little while, the marbles, documentation and any other memorabilia? Maybe bring them back out one day in the future, go outside, find a nice place to just sit and look through them again. (Kinda like when folks gather and look through the old family photos and reminisce)

Perhaps, if you have children it could be passed along to them? Something they can learn by and have fun with.

These are just ponderings. It's a nice, sunny Spring day, birds are singing, the aroma of roses is in the air and I've enjoyed my morning and I hope everyone else enjoys their day as well.

:-) Felicia

Thanks Felicia - that is a warm thought - one of my older daughters has some interest in marbles - and my intention was to pass them along to my future generations - I have them all tagged and labeled, so that may be the way to go.

Bill

the 3 seams are in the 3 different photos of the seams - a marble would normally have one seam (or two) depending on who made it, but if you look at the main picture 1 the second picture 2 and the 4th picture they each show a different seam - the main eBay photo pacraz is using is a swipe of the Bluegrass marble collectors site (exact same image with reflection of light in exact same spot) ipso facto - the first image doen't represent the marble Pacraz sold which would actually be the marble in pictures 2-3 & 4 , they (bluegrass marble collectors) has also placed the picture as their avatar on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/popculturizm?cropsuccess#!/group.php?gid=110034782371586 -

bluegrass image was posted on may 1st - auction ended may 23rd (2 days ago)

Where do you see the may 1st date? The pix I saw in the facebook album were posted yesterday.

It's not a big deal. Just wondering. Pavcraz is a proven fraud no matter what.

Oh, I see, the may 1st date is at the blogspot.

For the collecting community who appreciate and enjoy the newer marbles that have been produced over the past twenty years in the contemporary hand made field and amongst the many machine-made marbles that have come onto the market it is a fact that the greater majority of those collectors appreciate and enjoy those marbles not for the fact that they might bear some resemblance to something of the past but because most all of these marbles created have advanced the hobby and have exhibited a beauty that in a lot of respects shows respect for the traditions of the past while exhibiting innovations of the present in style, patterns and colors.

The sludges of humanity who are offing these newer creations as marbles of the past do not in the least in my estimation lower the beauty and quality of what has been newly created nor will they in the long run have much more than a piddling effect on the appreciation and value of what has come before. You can take from this what you may. You can let these lowlife scumbags who are pimping your precious marbles bludgeon your enthusiasm for collecting or you can expose them at every turn as I have done for practically all my collecting life and enjoy what you know you love all negativity aside. For in the final analysis it is just you and your marbles.

When I gave a kid last week a small box of select marbles the excitement and joy he exhibited was no different than when I gave kids marbles almost 20 years ago. This past week and a half I received three marbles packages in the mail and my excitement was much the same. David

P.S. Bill, Funny, I never thought of it as Steph keeping me covered. Interesting. Why, because I have never been one to hide behind anyone. I would though like to know what was the specific Post or PM in which I managed to accomplish this unintentional faux pas. Any idea?

I never knew.

as for sending and receiving marbles - oh sure - I have done much to promote the hobby over the years - most recently I sent a complete set of beginner ID marbles to Pete in the UK - he visits here from time to time. I also heavily sponsored give aways for the Canada Marble Show back in the day and have helped many local collectors.

thats all well and good. thanks.

Naaaaa, that won't happen. Climb down off that whippin' post!! LOL.... ;)

There's a lot of encouragement here, Bill. I kinda like Felicia's idea of putting things away for a while. I've done that in the past and enjoyed coming back...

David is just SOOO correct... This attitude is EVERYWHERE... Especially where there's money involved and even more especially when times are tough...

It's hard to ignore the fakers... Just bear in mind that little of history is as clean cut as we'd like to think it is...

Stick with what you like and enjoy. Avoid what your not sure of and try to keep up on knowing the difference...

Jabos will roll and they too, will fit in... The world will go on... ;)

thumbs up - with a smile - this made me chuckle - thanks.

Where do you see the may 1st date? The pix I saw in the facebook album were posted yesterday.

It's not a big deal. Just wondering. Pavcraz is a proven fraud no matter what.

Oh, I see, the may 1st date is at the blogspot.

on the Home page of the Bluegrass Marble Collectors page right above the marble in red on the left hand side - would be a time post of the day image/site was updated

HERE on the blog page

http://bluegrassmarblecollectors.blogspot.com/

I also have boxed it all up,put it away out of sight and went ahead with other things. IT HELPS,and afterwards i had made the correct decision with advice from friends. I still get in the same positions,but now instead of all the work boxing it up,i just close the doors and leave them closed for a time. Maybe someday,i will leave marbles completely but i do not want to regret it afterwards. In the past,i had to give up(sell)marble items that i will never be able to replace in my lifetime. So,BE SURE,of yourself,weigh ALL options. If it is no longer fun and enjoyment,maybe it is time,but give it time first. Life is short,if at all possible,do what makes you happy. GOOD LUCK Bill.

sounds like really good advice - because I know how hard it was to build the collectiion and how nearly impossible it would be to replace - you are right - thanks for the advice.

on the Home page of the Bluegrass Marble Collectors page right above the marble in red on the left hand side - would be a time post of the day image/site was updated

HERE on the blog page

one other CLUE is if you look at the lighting of the MIB the first "authentic" image has the lamp in it's reflection - the other 3 photo's do not and the surface of the marble is notably different - QED

Very interesting.

I don't necessarily see three seams. Could be two views of one of the seams. But this is very interesting find.

Wonder what the Bluegrass club has to say about that particular marble. Maybe the Bluegrass guy is the person who won the auction and is using Pavcraz pix ?????

Did it not occur to anyone ask who is running Bluegrass Marble Collectors who is "Bruce Hudson"? do we know him?

HERE on the blog page

The promoter of Bluegrass club has definite connections with Pavcraz - whether Pac stole the image or - Pac is Bluegrass, or Bluegrass is a close friend - somehow they are connected -

heheheheheheh

this is hillarious!!! way to go - nice catch!