Yesterday's Ebay Win

Hello Gang,

I snatched this up on eBay yesterday... Don't know what to call any of those marbles... We can identify them after I receive the package... Seems like a nice board too, it has three legs on the bottom that you can't see... The board and mibs are coming from Nottinghamshire, England so I won't have them in hand for a week or more... "Gene" rolleyes.gif

post-2351-127688050332_thumb.jpg

I feel shy talking about handmades. Usually wait awhile.

Almost thought I oughta be able to give an ID from looking at the pic. But not brave enough to take a chance. so I watch.

tapping.gif

I love em. Photo is small but I would assume the mibs are around 3/4 inch but can go up to 1 inch, looking at them look closer to 3/4inch with a few maybe being a hair bigger than the others and maybe are replacements for that set but if a few look bigger could just be positioning and angle of photo. Almost all are solid core, a few look to be divided core, maybe you have a couple latticinos in there, can't really tell with the photo. Anyone have a good estimate of age? They make newer style ones with handblown glass and call them Venetian marbles, I don't even know what the Venetian really stands for. But these look to have age to them and look a lot different than the "Venetian" types that people sell on Ebay. Seller was from England but German made for the market and probably 100-120 years old, correct? I'm a novice with limited experience and just asking so if I'm wrong, take that into consideration. This is the best I can offer as an opinion and nice pickup. I do like them.

Nice score Gene! What did you have to pay? Looks like some sweet marbles & a super board!!! Looks like a single ribbon just left of center!

Ya, it was 290 and another 20 for shipping and insurance...

I wasn't so impressed with the marbles because I know nothing

about them... It was the board I really wanted... Now I have 2,

one with and one without the legs...

I love em. Photo is small but I would assume the mibs are around 3/4 inch but can go up to 1 inch, looking at them look closer to 3/4inch with a few maybe being a hair bigger than the others and maybe are replacements for that set but if a few look bigger could just be positioning and angle of photo. Almost all are solid core, a few look to be divided core, maybe you have a couple latticinos in there, can't really tell with the photo. Anyone have a good estimate of age? They make newer style ones with handblown glass and call them Venetian marbles, I don't even know what the Venetian really stands for. But these look to have age to them and look a lot different than the "Venetian" types that people sell on Ebay. Seller was from England but German made for the market and probably 100-120 years old, correct? I'm a novice with limited experience and just asking so if I'm wrong, take that into consideration. This is the best I can offer as an opinion and nice pickup. I do like them.

The guy I got these from refered to them as Victorian Era... Like I said, I know nothing about them... Here is what Webster defines Victorian as...

Date: 1839 1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the reign of Queen Victoria of England or the art, letters, or tastes of her time

The guy I got these from refered to them as Victorian Era... Like I said, I know nothing about them... Here is what Webster defines Victorian as...

Date: 1839 1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the reign of Queen Victoria of England or the art, letters, or tastes of her time

I saw you mention Venetian in your original post, victorian makes sense, I never saw the Ebay listing. My son and I try to collect handmades primarily but due to their cost haven't been able to get as many as we would like. Germans started making hand mades in larger quantity around 1850 due to invention of marble scissors and up to about 1915 is when they stopped their dominance in the marble market, due to ww1. Most of the eariest german hand produced mibs had larger protruding pontils on them so for these marbles made for games were a little later on so I would assume were produced between 1880-1915 so Victorian era would be an accurate thing since Queen Victoria died around the turn of the century. I believe I read somewhere that the Germans started the first machine mades around 1890-1900 as well. I just didn't know what the Venetian meant. I really love them and hope you post them in groups when you get them, please.

I saw you mention Venetian in your original post, victorian makes sense, I never saw the Ebay listing. My son and I try to collect handmades primarily but due to their cost haven't been able to get as many as we would like. Germans started making hand mades in larger quantity around 1850 due to invention of marble scissors and up to about 1915 is when they stopped their dominance in the marble market, due to ww1. Most of the eariest german hand produced mibs had larger protruding pontils on them so for these marbles made for games were a little later on so I would assume were produced between 1880-1915 so Victorian era would be an accurate thing since Queen Victoria died around the turn of the century. I believe I read somewhere that the Germans started the first machine mades around 1890-1900 as well. I just didn't know what the Venetian meant. I really love them and hope you post them in groups when you get them, please.

Will do... In about 2 weeks...

They look like nice handmade German swirls, cane-cut -- solid cores, some divided (ribbon) cores, and maybe a single ribbon core (pretty rare). If they're all in as good a condition as they look to be, you got a great deal. When they come, take a look at the pontils -- the more-or-less rough spots at the "north and south poles" of each mib (where it was severed from the glass cane). The "top" may have the appearance of a smoothed curl or little spiral of glass. If the "bottom" or "south" pole is rough, it was made sometime between around 1880 and 1920 or so. If it's been ground smooth (you can see "facets" when you turn it in the light) then it was probably made between about 1860 - 1880.

They look like nice handmade German swirls, cane-cut -- solid cores, some divided (ribbon) cores, and maybe a single ribbon core (pretty rare). If they're all in as good a condition as they look to be, you got a great deal. When they come, take a look at the pontils -- the more-or-less rough spots at the "north and south poles" of each mib (where it was severed from the glass cane). The "top" may have the appearance of a smoothed curl or little spiral of glass. If the "bottom" or "south" pole is rough, it was made sometime between around 1880 and 1920 or so. If it's been ground smooth (you can see "facets" when you turn it in the light) then it was probably made between about 1860 - 1880.

Big help Ann!!! TY... "Gene"

'Sorry Gene!!!

I got back from the Wheaton show around 3 am on Monday morning... 'Slept most of the day yesterday...

I'm slowly catching up on reading the boards...

What a GREAT score!!! I can't add much that others haven't said....

They sure look to be in good enough condition to figure a BASE price of 10 bucks a piece...

That's $320... Then, there's the board...

AND... There's quite a few marbles there that look better than 10 bucks!!

I think a lot of people pass on these because they assume the cost is gonna fly high...

Then, there's the shipping factor...

Determination sure pays off!!!! :D

Oh.... Venetian glass is glass made in Venice / Murano...

Early antique marbles may mistakenly be called Venetian because of the ornate colors and swirls that look like Murano glass.

That would be an antique glass "Faux Pas!!!" LOL :character-smileys-238: