What To Expect And What To Pack?

stillrocki

I was just wondering what to expect at the Crossroads marble show in kokomo this weekend? It will be my first show. I was thinking of getting a room on Friday if possible. I am a newbie, but catching on fairly fast...(yeah right) As I was looking at a friends old marbles (not really a collection but more like a jar and bag full from his youth)it occured to me that I have only seen actual marbles, not in a book or computer, but in my hand, other than my own, on 2 occasions...so I am quite sure this show will be very educational! I wanted to bring some of my marbles for possible "in room trading" friday night but as I have never been to a show I am not sure how that works exactly...I certainly cant just walk into peoples hotel rooms with a box of marbles saying "got mibs?"...or will these trades be by invitation only? I am going to be on my own as my husband is throughly uninterested so a little insight might be helpful.

Are there any unwritten rules or collector edicate that I should know?? Will they laugh and snarl when I pull out a common mib that I have mis-identified? Will I run into many with an attitude like David's? (just kidding david!)

Thanks...and if you're going and you see a sort out of place lady with curly hair...that would be me, please say hi.

Let me just say you have nothing to fear! Infact being a new collector will be to your advantage in more ways than you realize. The people in the hobby are some of the nicest and helpful I have met. I was not new my first show and it was still overwhelming being a first timer. Oh and yes, you pretty much do just walk in and say hi! The doors are left open. Tell those you meet that you are new, many will help you ID and give info freely, others may even hand you marbles as a getting started gift, don't hold me to the last one but it happens! Just go and say hi the rest will take care of itself. Besides you and your marbles bring what cash you can, there will be some deals and marbles you will wish you had it for if you do not bring it. Have fun!

Steph is right on, bring a light. Small and intense light is best.

While a good small (2 doubleAA) Mag-Lite is definitely a must with back-up bulb and batteries you would be a hit with a lot of room sales people if you did a roving concession with 100 Watt Bulbs. I kid you not! I have been in more hotel rooms where there is nothing larger than a 60. Marbles need light! Hey! Bring those ugly marbles; they're getting a premium these days, in fact, there's such a maudlin love fest going on in another thread over them that it's getting downright carnal!

Actually, bring $bucks$ because you will succumb.....guaranteed! Also those monsters of the Marble Boards that come thundering into your computer become totally transformed into %^&***cats at the show. Oh yeah, extra socks*.....David

Edit.: I guess I should have said Teddy Bears!

*As BigJohn says the mibs will knock your socks off!

Lots of cash,baggies,cushioned shoe insoles,a back brace,wide open eyes and ears,questions,camera,note pad and pen,get list of rooms,you will get lost,get there early,don't miss in room trading,a big smile,visit and meet everyone. Plan on a good time!!!!!!!!

Let me just say you have nothing to fear! Infact being a new collector will be to your advantage in more ways than you realize. The people in the hobby are some of the nicest and helpful I have met. I was not new my first show and it was still overwhelming being a first timer. Oh and yes, you pretty much do just walk in and say hi! The doors are left open. Tell those you meet that you are new, many will help you ID and give info freely, others may even hand you marbles as a getting started gift, don't hold me to the last one but it happens! Just go and say hi the rest will take care of itself. Besides you and your marbles bring what cash you can, there will be some deals and marbles you will wish you had it for if you do not bring it. Have fun!

Steph is right on, bring a light. Small and intense light is best.

agree, and if your going early look around for koko ken, he will have the nicest chrissy you'll see for a long time,, plenty of good people are there to have a great time if you stay in the hotel,, and bring a camera so the rest of us can come along with you, the mibs will blow your socks off, the people who attend will as well.,,, good luck and have fun,, bj

Great info...thank you all!!! :D

And I will look for KoKo Ken, and Rick - if you are out there...I hope to find you as well.

Now this maybe stupid, but I like to be polite...is there a code of ethics I am unaware of...for instance dont touch a marble unless you ask or dont show your marbles unless you are invited to...etc...

Just writing that seems sort of over analytical but well, I am....I am sure I will be just fine...reading all the replies has made me very excited!!

and David, I will try to keep my especially ugly mibs to myself...I would not want to make a bad impression :character-smileys-238: