Marble Storage/display Options

dr.trj

I began collecting marbles only a couple of years ago, but they seem to be stacking up awfully fast! I keep many of them in little plastic bags in storage tubs, but thats not very satisfying. So I began using those little, hard-plastic trays with lids that hold 25. Now those are stacking up also, & they cost about $3 each. You guys are the experts--what do you do for storage and display? (My wife is starting to complain!)

I use several different types of containers for storage. For display I have heard of people useing the plastic grids from flourecent lights....easily cut to size. I use glass flower frogs, rolling pins, rubber O-rings and in an old gun cabinet I fashioned som shelving from plexi and then drilled holes for the marbles to set in. In that I can display between 50 and 150 per shelf. As the collection grows I keep finding new ways to store and display. Some day I will find a nice map makers cabinet to fill up. A nice curio cabinet might sway the wifes feelings. Looking at my pics I remembered I also have a clear 4 drawer plexi jewelery box that works well.

display034.jpg

eowrj013.jpg

I lso use the 25 count plastic boxes but I also use the 35 count softer plastic boxes. If you have marbles around 5/8 inch, you can buy a plastic cover sheet (thicker type) and cut them up into strips to use a separators and then you can get 70 marbles into a box. Here's a pic of one of my boxes.

post-60-128863769175_thumb.jpg

There are some table-style cases you can get; they don't hold many since there's only one layer, but they look great! I'll get a picture later...

Also, gun cases. If you plan on keeping marbles in one place and never moving them, then display cases are all well and good. But if you have marbles that you want to move around sometimes (which I find that I do, though others don't), gun cases are the way to go. Not the most beautiful in the world, but very efficient and keeps the marbles extra-safe. And when they're not traveling, just prop them open wherever you display the others!

For extra kicks, go with a rifle case. They're impossible to haul around, but it's totally worth the reaction when you open this enormous case full of marbles. :P

Ok, here's a picture of the table. Not easy to find, but not too difficult either. These look really, really good, I promise.

post-2769-128866648815_thumb.jpgpost-2769-128866650089_thumb.jpg

I've also made a few stands like what follows. They're real easy to make– take a cheap piece of wood, drill some large holes in it, and then cover it with felt. The felt hasn't been attached to this one fully, so it doesn't look perfect, but it gives you the basic idea. The felt bends so that the marbles are held well, and you can use any cheap piece of scrap wood, without stains or anything. Nice and cheap. :P

post-2769-12886665159_thumb.jpgpost-2769-128866652414_thumb.jpg

Note: Do NOT move stands like this with the marbles in them. It works fine horizontally, but the marbles roll out real easy.

It's not how long you've had your collection that matters. It's how quickly you sort any marbles that you get. I usually buy jars at antique shops, but put off the actual sorting bit. Sooner or later, it reaches critical mass, and becomes much harder than placing individual marbles where they belong.

That Timex Cabinet looks like it'd be awesome for marbles! I must make a note to get one for myself in the future.

i have a place for everything its just not as organized as you all,,, i have bad bins,, medium condition mibs,,, and good mibs,,, the greens are separated,, i have a sling shot bin,, a booby trap bin for the thiefs,,, a cool bin for my grand daughter so she can say,"these are pretty Grampa",, love that,, i got good mibs in my clear bucket,, plus my desk is jammed with the newest additions so i can look and study them,, just picked up my first Pelt MCS with a good size oxblood stripe on it, and a neat st.mary's blue yellow cross threw that i always like to find the complete color set someday, my color corks are in another tub, my pelt bananas are few after i let the bunch i had go last year,,, yea there is some sense to my madness,,, bahahahahahaha,, bj