Vitro Jewel Multi Colored Tray

I've never seen one with those marbles in it. They are usually solid colored marbles or helmet patches. Can't tell you if that one is original or had marbles added to it.

Thinking about time lines, I doubt the marbles are original. The conqueror and victory type patches were made during WWII and I think the jewelry trays are older than that.

They are a snap to pop out and replace. I've done a couple because I wanted one of complimentary color to show off the marbles I displayed in the tray. Still have it! The other I just couldn't resist putting in all Champion mid-1980s Pumpkins. I'll tell ya, those marbles with the tray polished made it look like it was about to burst into flames! It's not a regular practice of mine to mess with an original marble artifact but these two trays were begging for something different. David

Would it be a snap to find 12 matched coral and green tri-lites to put in them? I'm still optimistic about those being original. Call me Pollyanna. lol

I totally agree Steph (except for the call me Pollyanna part)

they look like the tri-lite helment type vitros to me, and I've seen a measure of original jewel trays with matched vitros in em.

I say original.

I'll look at them again. I saw conquerors with green patches. Maybe he has rolled the marbles around so that there is a green face showing and then in the next marble the white helmet with a stripe. That would make them helmet patches. I'll look and come back here.

Steph, your eyes are better than mine. Some of them do look like helmet patches. However, I've not seen an orignal one with different colored helmet patches in one tray. If the blue ones are helmet patches, then there are more than one kind in that tray. I don't think the original ones had a mix.

I only see one that looks like it might be blue, but as I look closer I can see a green tint at the bottom of the marble. I'd venture a guess the green is washed out by the camera flash.

and as Steph sezs..(blessed sarcasm for what it is)what would be the odds of finding 1211 matched coral and green tri-lites to put in it?

I've never seen one with those marbles in it. They are usually solid colored marbles or helmet patches. Can't tell you if that one is original or had marbles added to it.

Thinking about time lines, I doubt the marbles are original. The conqueror and victory type patches were made during WWII and I think the jewelry trays are older than that.

Original marbles and I have had several of this color. About $50-$70.

Don

My "snap and pop out" comments were made only to point out the ease with which these trays can be changed; it was not a commentary on the age appropriateness of the marbles in this tray or their originality. Actually twelve of this variety are not necessarily that far fetched but If I were to state an opinion on the matter it would be that these marbles used imply originality more than anything else. Also I have seen numerous trays with marbles other than plain opaque ones. If the marbles were more demonstrable than I might look at it differently but I just can't imagine anyone going to any great extent to 'replace' with these. If that sounds confusing I am flatly saying that I deem them original.

The majority of the trays were made between 1935 and 1941. Trays have been seen at several marble shows with Jabo classic marbles, Marble King and Vacor....(Johnson 2006). It is not hard to imagine old stock of the empty trays being filled later on as a normal manufacturing production event just to deplete the inventory. There were numerous design and patent variations during their period of production. David

OK it's my eyes. LOL I see at least two of the marbles that appear to be blue. (appear to my eyes to be blue) I'm going to stop answering based on photos. Flash washed out colors, my increasing cataracts, not being able to turn the marbles and see the whole thing, make my opinion just about worthless. We had one of these with helmets and gave it away to a big vitro collector. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Thanks everyone for your postings. To give you a little background, my mother collected these trays--in addition to MANY other things :)-- and really knew what she was doing. I've sold several of the solid colored trays and everyone has been very happy with their purchase. Don, thanks for letting me know the value. I appreciate it. I don't have the world best camera but the marbles are definitely not blue. Have a great holiday season everyone!!