Opinion On Ebay Lot

skycollect

Hello, this seems to be the third time the seller has posted this Yellow Popeye box on ebay. Does there seem to be anything wrong with it?

The box and bag look good to me, but I dont do machine made marbles or boxes much for that matter.

I would like to hear others opinions

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKRO-AGATE-POPEYE-GIFT-SET-YELLOW-BOX_W0QQitemZ320633498201QQcategoryZ2573QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5817783110565413402

Did Silver Oxbloods really come with the original Popeye sets? I've never seen that before.

It's not the sorta thing I'd expect you to get if you don't do machine made OR boxes.

Regardless, it's a nice box to be sure. I'd do it if I had that sort of money to throw around.

Did Silver Oxbloods really come with the original Popeye sets?

Here's a 1936 ad. Hard to be sure with the black and white but might those be silver oxbloods?

1936_PopeyeBox_zoomA.jpg

p.s. I'm pretty sure others will vouch for finding that style in popeye boxes. I think they came mostly in yellow boxes. iiuc.

I see a problem with that advertising picture of the Popeye marble box. The bag with a waist up view of Popeye is for the rare and expensive larger Popeye box that holds 36 marbles. I suspect an advertising agency manipulated pictures of the two bags and possibly types of marbles shown. I own both types of bags - the waist up view of Popeye bag measures 3.5" x 5.25". That bag would not fit into the common #116 box. The point being that what showed up pictured in trade catalogs may have never made it to a retail sales outlet. This casts some doubt on our ability to verify marbles from sales catalogs.

I see a problem with that advertising picture of the Popeye marble box. The bag with a waist up view of Popeye is for the rare and expensive larger Popeye box that holds 36 marbles. I suspect an advertising agency manipulated pictures of the two bags and possibly types of marbles shown. I own both types of bags - the waist up view of Popeye bag measures 3.5" x 5.25". That bag would not fit into the common #116 box. The point being that what showed up pictured in trade catalogs may have never made it to a retail sales outlet. This casts some doubt on our ability to verify marbles from sales catalogs.

Interesting. Here's the full ad that was clipped from. It shows two different bags with a waist up character. [insert intelligent comments here when/if I can think of any]

edit: I've never paid much attention to bag styles, only the marbles. Entering watch and learn mode.

1936_PopeyeBox.jpg

Right Clyde. I've been around long enough to have come to that same conclusion and do not consider values in books sacrosanct nor do I consider values obtained on eBay sacrosanct or true. The personal value that I place on my own marbles is what I consider 'true' and I don't care if it doesn't correlate with a book value or the current market as expressed by an eBay auction or some sale that might transpire at Canton in February 2011. And quite frankly, this is why just about every antique and collectible book, marbles or otherwise, has a page "On Pricing" in which declarations of helplessness are protested about taking seriously the values attributed within the book. Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, most people ignore this advice. If I quote a value for something I find it rather painful to have to go through this whole rigamarole to halfway justify the slipperiness of the price quoted. But I'm sure you understand this more than most people. David

This more like the fourth time this box has been put up. They started at around 1500. Then 1200, 1000, 900 and now 500. In this case I would say the economy plays a very heavy influence and everybody knows how the economy is. A couple weeks ago when I saw Mike Johnson he said that a publisher wont even do the the book unlees there are prices.

Lloyd that is the most beautiful pop box I have ever seen.

Clyde said:

Lloyd that is the most beautiful pop box I have ever seen.

Jeeperman said:

Have to agree, Lloyd that is a fantastic box!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. Finding those Popeye Boxes with Oxbloods in them was one of the most fun scores I had in over 25 years of dealing in marbles.

I bought 20 Popeye boxes from a young man that got them for free in his grandfather's desk drawer. As soon as we heard about them my wife & I put a plan in play and drove out to see them.

We met with the seller & his girlfriend in a little middle of nowhere diner out in the midwest. When this fella opened a paper bag with the 20 Yellow Popeye Boxes you could hear my chin hit my chest.

When I saw the Oxblood Marbles in them I tried not to say anything, but

I am pretty sure my comment was- "Holy Shit!"

After I made an offer on the batch and paid for them he said-

"I thought I might get 10 or 15 dollars a box for them" "What do I do with all this money?"

His Girlfriend- "Shhh! We'll just put it in my purse until we get home."

Chris & I continued on driving out west to do the Santa Cruz Show.

We sold quite a few boxes right away at the show.

It seem like everybody wanted one!

They were all gone by the time next year's show rolled around.

It is great history to hear Lloyd’s firsthand accounts of how some of these great marbles and related items fell into the hands of collectors. Fortunately, I was in the short line when both Lloyd's grain elevator cache (yellow boxes) and the rural Minnesota stash (red boxes) became available. If I remember correctly - the red boxes walked through the door at Amana several years ago. Lloyd probably knows the details ...

There are things to learn from these undisturbed and never back filled groupings (besides that mice like cardboard) that seem overlooked by many collectors: a.) a pee wee “Swee’ Pea” came with the original box and b.) frequently the original marbles were nice but not Popeyes!