My Finds At My Marble Show

Marble #5 - I want you guys to make a guess and tell me what it is and what the story about it is - after a time, I'll tell you but I thought it would be fun to let you play.

In the picture, you'll see a lot of reflections like the clouds and sky in my area (it's been raining a lot).

Here are 2 clues: The marble is optically clear and the marble is tinted.

Have fun guessing!

post-2583-130081442078_thumb.jpg

Marble #5 - I want you guys to make a guess and tell me what it is and what the story about it is - after a time, I'll tell you but I thought it would be fun to let you play.

In the picture, you'll see a lot of reflections like the clouds and sky in my area (it's been raining a lot).

Here are 2 clues: The marble is optically clear and the marble is tinted.

Have fun guessing!

Fake eyeball for a cow?

lol,lol,lol.....

You made me smile Ray.

It's a mineral marble but the game is to find out what type?

Then the story behind the marble - it is one I find most interesting and it is a true story too.

Come on Steph, Galen and the mod from Canada, join in on the fun and play with me!

I wanted to share - these are what I obtained at my show.... Like any of them?

Marble #1 - Vitro Modified Tri Lite

Unusual heavy threading and a good ecxample of a hybrid I feel

Looks like a conqueror to me.

lol,lol,lol.....

You made me smile Ray.

It's a mineral marble but the game is to find out what type?

Then the story behind the marble - it is one I find most interesting and it is a true story too.

Come on Steph, Galen and the mod from Canada, join in on the fun and play with me!

The mod from Canada? LOL. If you're going to call someone out, at least learn their name! rofl

Any connection to something like this?

This optically clear Quartz sphere has a very interesting history: originally the Quartz was mined in Brazil and purchased for the U.S. Defense National Stockpile. The National Stockpile was created shortly after World War II to acquire and store critical strategic materials for national defense purposes. Its primary mission is to protect the nation against dangerous and costly dependence upon foreign sources of supply for critical materials in times of national emergency. At the time, optical Quartz was critical for electronics and high-precision optics applications. But by 1994, this was no longer the case and the optical Quartz stockpile was auctioned off. This 87 mm diameter (3.43 inches) optically clear Quartz sphere is a direct result of that auction - since the rough Quartz came from that auction. Nowadays, it is extremely difficult to obtain the caliber of Quartz necessary to make a sphere greater than 3 inches in diameter with this level of optically flawless perfection. It is well polished with perfect concentricity: one can use this "crystal ball" as a lens, objects viewed through it are perfectly clear, just upside down. A strong caution applies: do not leave this sphere in sunlight - because it is a large and powerful sphere, it can start a fire with considerable ease.

http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6036&Lot_No=53177

VERY close indeed.

Time to reveal the game's ending. I thought this was the coolest thing I've ever encountered in marble collecting to date.

This marble was hand made from a 5" window that had 26% lead in it. It was used in a bunker in Nevada. Remember the very first Atomic Bomb test in the US? This marble is from a window where the scientists were standing behind attempting to view the explosion.

A professional Geologist obtained a piece of the window and made this marble. You can't believe how heavy this orb is until you actually hold it in your hands. I am going to email him for documentation if he can get for me.

Steph - this guy orbboy is who I was referring to and I can't tell you his name because I can't find it.

* Group: Moderator

Galen - I had at least 5 people asking to see you at my show - we missed ya!

#1 is vitro. I too thought it was a champion at first so I went seeking confirmation. There were 5 passionate, experienced vintage marble collectors that held it their hands inspecting it carefully at the show, all at different times throughout the weekend and all of them agreed it was vitro.

I wanted to share - these are what I obtained at my show.... Like any of them?

Marble #1 - Vitro Modified Tri Lite

Unusual heavy threading and a good ecxample of a hybrid I feel

Rich it's a Vitro but not a "modified tri lite",it's a Vitro conqueror.

winnie

I sure wish those 5 had made the connection clear to me Winnie like you explained it - thanks so much - I just LOVE learning!!!!!

As I move through the learning curve, I need a short explanation besides just a name so I can know what to look for in other marbles.

Wow if you look at the numbers I really don't post that much. And what's with that 05 joining date? I have been here since this was Alans site? I am a little Akrosnobbish when it comes to when I post.

But since you invited me to come out and play. I'll salute your mibs. That is one pretty cool Vitro Conqueror. About as full as one can get, and with some coloured stands to boot. Don't know diddly about rocks so no idea what that is? Neat though.

Dave

Thank you Dave - it's finally nice to meet you!

I taught Geology at middle school (grades 6-8) and specialized on the 8th graders until California took Geology and separated into 2 halves, one taught at 6th grade and the other 1/2 at 9th grade. I then had to do only chemistry, physics and astronomy with the kids.

I hope you do post more since it is fun here 99% of the time I have found. Most are eager to help us beginners (one year collecting for me) and I look forward to others help.

Thanks again

Rich