How Odd Is This?

Thanks for the comments guys. And I'm sure Al was just joking around . . . it's clearly a MK Rainbo . . . and besides the color, it's only got three "ribbons" (one of which, I guess, should have been a patch). But it's pretty cool the way they come together to form a near perfect corkscrew. I've never seen another, so was wondering how common they are. I'll bet this isn't the only one on the planet. :)

Sorry. I was referring to the phrase 'common as dirt.' I apologize. Kinda thought it might be misinterpreted. The most common Rainbo is white alternating with another color. David

yea david ... brown .. as in .. dirt ... tee-hee :music-rocker-001: ... bill

. . . The most common Rainbo is white alternating with another color. David

Certainly true, David. But it's the broken-cork pattern I'm wondering about. Maybe I'll restate my question for clarity:

Are MK P&Rs with a broken cork pattern common or commonly dug? Has anyone seen any, regardless of their source?

Thanks,

. . . Are you saying this turns into a continuous line? There is a line connecting the patch to the ribbon? . . .

BINGO! The two ribbons and what I imagine should have been a patch form a corkscrew pattern around the marble. It is a continuous ribbon in three segments . . . just like a broken cork Pelt, but with only three segments instead of four.

. . . Do you get the feeling that people haven't been looking for that pattern much on known MK's?

Ya' think??? LOL

Maybe a description will help with visualization:

The upper left pic shows the start of the first ribbon in the continuous corkscrew. If you follow that ribbon to the left you get to the seam where the first and second ribbons connect, in the top right pic. If you continue to follow the ribbon left, you get to the opposite seam where the second ribbon connects with the third, in the lower left pic. The lower right pic shows the end of the third ribbon (the end of the continuous cork composed of three segments).

Thanks for responding Duffy. It's 5/8" and perfectly round - no sign of it being a double ingot. You ever seen anything like it? I'm about ready to do the old Running Rabbit video rotation trick just so people don't think I'm nuts! LOL.

I'm having a tough time with this. Traditionally (speaking from the 1990s!) a broken cork is just that; it shoulda but it didn't.....no seams whatsoever. You get any seams in there and the possibilities of corking are negated.....pure and simple. I mean, it may look like it wanted to but there's no way it ever could have with purposeful seams. Like you shouldn't even be thinking about it (That's not meant to be harsh!). David

P.S. I'm just trying to give you a rough time Ric!

. . . David . . . P.S. I'm just trying to give you a rough time Ric!

David, I've had rough times, and you're still in the noise on my "rough time meter". Heck man, you haven't even produced a signal yet!

I'm having a tough time with this. Traditionally (speaking from the 1990s!) a broken cork is just that; it shoulda but it didn't.....no seams whatsoever. You get any seams in there and the possibilities of corking are negated.....pure and simple. I mean, it may look like it wanted to but there's no way it ever could have with purposeful seams. Like you shouldn't even be thinking about it (That's not meant to be harsh!). David

P.S. I'm just trying to give you a rough time Ric!

This has generally been agreed to be a broken cork. That is, if anyone disagreed they didn't make their opinion known to me. I can see seams:

post-279-1189792280.jpg

That's a good thought, Steve. Although, the marble doesn't much resemble a Pelt. It's just that the two ribbons and the patch, which looks more like a wide ribbon on this marble, come together at the seams in a way that makes a broken corkscrew pattern. The seams are offset close to 90 degrees, like you see on quite a few Vitros. It really is unusual. I'm looking forward to seeing you and hearing your thoughts about it in a couple of weeks, when I put it in your hand. Thanks again for your help, Steve.

Hey, let me go at this again. Corkscrews per se do not have seams; it's very much in the nature of their construction. If an Akro corkscrew had anything that even closely resembled a seam it would actually have to be a crease 'cause there was absolutely no intention of there being a seam (Akro quality control with corkscrews!). MK and Peltier did not make corkscrews. Akro did. By definition an Akro corkscrew that went awry, as many did by folding in on themselves and tunneling underneath, and created a corkscrewing pattern that was broken would rightly be called a 'broken corkscrew. Marble King and Peltier never had an intentional corkscrew to be broken in the first place therefore if only because of correct semantics you could not call any 'Odd' ones true broken corkscrews but I think the marketing ends of the companies and their manufacturing intentions are a more compelling argument. I may be wrong but I am sure that as far back as the early 1990s we were referring to broken corkscrews only in the context of Akro Agate Co. Very possibly some collectors starting expanding upon the definition. Still and in the truest sense I think the definition should be exclusive to Akro Agate Co. IM not so HO.....David

Edit: Also with Akro's corkscrews at the cork extremity what you have is a 'cut off' not a seam.