German Marble Posters

Steph

Here's one to start. Another might be coming. Big download. Trusting that it's large enough for most to read. A larger size is available. . . (Here's a bigger copy, about a meg download, might need to double click for full size)

[edit: photobucket changed things -- it's still larger if you use the magnifying feature -- but photobucket won't let you see full size unless you download]

marbleposters007_1500.jpg

Edited by Steph

Here's the second. Again larger copies are available.

These views are photos of a high quality 11" x 15" reproduction of an original poster owned by Bob Geis. Bob still has copies for sale, two-sided on heavy stock for $10 plus postage if you are interested. Contact RHGeis(at)Venable(dot)com .

RHG_front_1300.jpg

RHG_back_1300.jpg

Thanks Steph,here's an account from Herbert Kühnert,from 1935

Akronmarbles would you want to post the letter?

winnie

32ac_1.jpg

Winnie,

Can you display the rest of the account, and could someone here translate pertinent parts?

The account is for someone, or a firm, in Scheibe-Alsbach, a town less than 5 miles from Lauscha, as the crow flies. The town is famous for porcelain. Wonder what glass products they were buying from Kühnert. Doll's eyes?

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/thuringia/scheibe_1/00.php

We were told by our German marble-dealer guide that scenic chinas were made there.

It would be interesting to know if any marble fragments have really been found in any of their dumps.

there is no rest of the account,I've saved this years ago from Ebay,because it gives some evidence that Germany has made marbles.

I made a fault as you can see,it's not from Herbert Kühnert but from G.Kühnert.

I'll try to translate:

Right under G.Kühnert&Co,Glashüttenwerk it says:

Christmas decorations-Glass marbles-.......-buttons-Glass toys.

Lauscha 26 May 1935.

Account for Erich Höhn Scheibe Alsbach.

We send by.........

1 box.......

2 boxes Glass marbles "marmorriert=marmoreal?" 5.70.

It seems that Herbert Kühnert was a son of glass manufacturers born in 1887-1970.

winnie

I think we should all start calling mica's 'glimmers'since they were named such.

(funny tho, I thought I had posted that poster a year or so back? oh well, maybe i forgot, but IAMC members have had it in their newsletter some time past. LOL!)

I love the fact that many of the german slags have a very similar diaper fold seam as CAC. makes one really wonder...and I bet a few of you go look at your CAC slags.. heehee

YELLOW33.jpg

Correction...the posters were sent from H. Kuhnert to Roger Miller in August of 1966...not to Fred Wright. I believe the Bob Geis poster is form 1918 and shows marbles from the Frabglas Hutte. Hansel's poster os from the G Kuhnert company. Hansel - was there a number one wrtitten on the back of your poster?

Ahhhhh - upon studying my documents more. It would appear Kuhnert states that German machine made marble production started in 1918 - it doesn't give a actual date for the Geis poster. Those are probably pages from a Der Universal Spielwaren Katalog.

Correction...the posters were sent from H. Kuhnert to Roger Miller in August of 1966...not to Fred Wright. I believe the Bob Geis poster is form 1918 and shows marbles from the Frabglas Hutte. Hansel's poster os from the G Kuhnert company. Hansel - was there a number one wrtitten on the back of your poster?

My poster is one of several identical (but in better condition) posters I bought in Germany in 2002. I was told they were "found in the basement of an old house" in Lauscha. I think the poster sent to Roger Miller had a stamp from the Kuhnert company on the front. This poster is printed on thin, fragile paper and I'm guessing was probably mass produced and used as an advertising flyer.

(funny tho, I thought I had posted that poster a year or so back? oh well, maybe i forgot, but IAMC members have had it in their newsletter some time past. LOL!)

Ah ha, that is why it seemed familiar! The ones for sale on Ebay are not available to UK so I just enjoy the copy here, thanks.