Sulphide With Outer Ribbons

99marbles131

Hey...lol

When the core of a swirl is made, they rolled glass over stringers.

When a sulphide is made, they dipped into a crucible and encased the figurine in the interior of the glass and generally causes the figurine to have a bubble around it. Personally, I have torched and repaired 37 sulphides taking the bubble out of the center of the sulphide using modern marble making techniques.

If the figurine was rolled over OR placed there on the outside of the core, because of it's large size, it would not allow a smooth roll and would cause a large bubble. Lauren Stump invented a system that contemporary marble makers (and paperweight makers0 use to remove the air trap. That technique was not around in the old days.

Not to be a critic, but I don't think that marble is an old marble. I hope I'm wrong because it's a killer marble!

I love the input about this mib, but I am a gambler, and according to the odds, the mib this guy told me about is probably not the mib I saw in a photo, that doesn't mean an old mib was tampered or a new one was made to look old. All i know is I kinda want one just to have a great conversation piece to discuss.

ps if there's anymore photos out there of something similar, please post!

I love talkin' mibs

At another marble site, I was ordered to believe it was an old marble without any basis other than the person said so.... lol. Ok, whatever. I like MC because you all HELP me when identifying a marble by telling me WHY you called it what you call it instead of telling me what it is and that's it!

It's like a math teacher I had once - he said, "Solve the problem my way." When I asked him why, he said, "Because I said so!"

Turns out, that teacher knew only one way to solve the problem when in fact, there were 3 ways!

Oh well, it takes all kinds to make up the world.

Believe it or not for what it's worth, I was very surprised about two months ago when I received a sulphide that was in very bad shape to recondition. It had nice outer stripping and I assure you it was an old German Sulphide. In all the years that I have reconditioned marbles it was the only one with outer stripping that I had ever seen. It reconditioned very nicely and as the owner really didn't know what he had, we visited about it on the phone before reconditioning and before I returned it to him. I'm not at liberty to name the owner, but believe me that Sulphide is out there. Someday I may learn how to take pictures and post them. ----Leroy----P.S. In most cases the figure in a sulphide is easy to tell as to it being new contemporary or an old German one.

There are many many varieties of vintage paperweights with sulphides in them. Many have banding on the weight sometimes surrounding the figure. No reason to believe the same processes could not be used for a larger sized marble. Probably made by starting with a small sized glob with the figure in it then building up layers over the glass covered figure. Not that big a deal. It is done often at the local art glass company.

I should know by now that there is no use in me posting anything on these boards as there are lots of marble professors with a lot more knowledge about marbles than I'll ever know even though, I've studied and worked with marbles for well over 30 years. So please disregard anything that I have posted and rest assured that I plan never to post anything again along these lines. ----Leroy----

Leroy, please keep posting. Your remarks are very helpful to us who do not have "closed minds". We know that your experience is valuable and your wouldn't post something you're not sure of.

In regards to Boyd Miller's caged bird - Boyd has not made marbles in at least 4 years and probably never will again. That's the sad part. He needs our prayers. Edna

I've seen that marble pic before and at the time I wondered if it could be "oven brick". It does sort of look like an animal figurine though. I don't know how a sulphide figure would end up in a cane cut marble, (ie: two pontils) but maybe somebody that knows more about making marbles can shed some light. I'm not saying it can't be done but curiosity is what makes me ask