A Peach Of A Cac?

After long hours studying this mib, I think it may have been made in the good ol' USA, and not as German as everyone thought. Although not a lot going on inside this mib, there is some action going on inside. What is a real 15/16ths minty peach going for these days? Galen?

post-315-0-97654700-1336058572_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-55283000-1336058604_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

im not against you guys on this i just want to say in speeds defense photographing peach or pink glass is very hard to capture with alot of cameras,,, i have a pink cullet chunk, i got close to payne, ohio at a sale one time and could not take a good nuff picture to get the color,, may or may not be the case here just saying,,, bj :)

just found the pictures in my files. this is pink in hand, pink as pink can be but look how dark it shows

PEACHCULL1.JPG

PEACHCULL.JPG

I'm with BJ,it's very hard to photograph real pink marbles,it turns out to be amber.

I've tried it and with a lot of tricks i succeded.

BTW Germany has also made pink 2 seam slags.

Here's a German one,the 2 pic- are the same marble,the first pic- is the real color,

made with tricks,don't ask me how,i forgot.

Don't know if Roger's marble CAC or German is.

winnie

2seam-slagMedium.jpg

Speed ~~ you've mixed light at two different temperatures in this image -- "daylight" and flash. Daylight is in quotes because it covers a range from roughly 5200°K to 5500°K depending on the time of day. Light in the morning and evening is warmer; mid-day light is cooler. Your flash/strobe is at a higher (cooler temp.) than "daylight". What it is exactly depends on the flash unit itself. Then there is the setting of the camera's sensor and what the white balance is set at.

The point is that you have a pantload of variables where a few hundred degrees Kelvin will shift the temperature to something other than what you are looking at. On top of that you have a color that (I'm guessing -- people that work w/ glass will have a better idea) contains some blue, some yellow, some red... I don't think it has any green, but it might, and if it did it would be a very small amount. Add to that the fact that you are dealing with *glass* which has both internal reflections and (obviously) external reflections, ie your pronounced hotspot where the color is completely washed out.

This could go on at length but what you have to do when you have both glass and a difficult color is to manually adjust your white balance setting until you get in pixels what you are seeing "in hand". Auto white balance in this instance likely won't work. Ignore the settings. Theoretically, if you shoot white and your resultant image is white, then the rest should follow.

I hope that is helpful.

Speed ~~ Scott has posted in the Lounge "Two Pictures (Actually Four Pictures)" using four different cameras. This is very instructive because it shows the auto white balance of four four different cameras (I'm guessing because the EXIF data is lacking).

Additionally, the images were not taken at the same time (or even the same day) so the lighting has changed. This variation in temperature will show a significant variation in color temp if you compare the images.

Take peach/pink where a much less drastic change in color temperature shifts the color of the marble.

Thanks, but I thought the new and improved image above was showing it to be less amber and more peach. Is everyone still seeing amber on their monitors? The improved (post 11) image was taken during the midday hours with the flash off. I'm using a point and shoot.

That burned out area is just the sky reflection even though I tried to lean over the mib during the shot to block out most of the sky reflection.

To answer you question everyone looking would have to see the actually marble against the pic in order to make a determination. Only you can say that, based on your perception of the marble vis-a-vis the image, they are the same (or close) in color.

If you can say that they look the same, then it is the same. The next step would be to calibrate everyone's monitor to the same color. There will be some variation but the question should be, Do *you* see the colors as being the same? The best the rest of us can is only take your word for it and guess at the exact color.

Or to put it another way, technically the way you set up the shot is less than ideal — shadow, bright mid-day sun with direct reflections.

This may be too technical for your purposes if in fact the picture you posted is close to what you have in hand.

fwiw... the image you posted, Patrick, shows as amber w/ a slight orange/red cast on my monitor. I wouldn't describe it as pink. (MacBook Pro, Gamma 2.2 -- Standard).

Unfortunately what you can't correct for (because you don't have anything to compare the image to, ie the marble) is the ambient light. I see the grey of possibly a manufactured stone product underneath the marble, a tree in the reflection which means if there is a green bias then that is being reinforced with the reflected light from the leaves as well as the cool blue of the mid-day light.

"I only use a custom white balance when taking indoor photos of marbles. I rarely have to make any changes to the white balance in an editing program after taking any marble pictures."

Exactly.

The only way you can get the color to be completely accurate is under controlled studio conditions particularly where you have such a difficult object and a difficult color.

I have held this marble in my hand. I have dreamed of owning one in my lifetime. Seen a few at shows from time to time.Jim Newton has the best I've ever seen. If it had more white whispiness through out, I would be the owner of it, no doubt. The peach color is burned into my memory, so I can say without a doubt, this is a true peach colored slag. I just won't go out on the CAC or German limb. That is for the pro's to hash out.

Willie

I found that backing away from the marble quite a bit helps to show truer colours, but you lose the detail. Try a few shots from 10' away and see if that helps. Natural sunlight helps as well.

Hey Orbboy, I used sunlight in all the (above) pics to no avail. Wish I still had my old $professional-program$ for fixing color as Mr. Moriarty (thank you sir!) has already helpfully suggested, since I could have made that mib appear as pink as I wanted for the benifit of the viewers, instead of asking everyone to just take my word for it. And if I can ever get a true to color picture before I sell it, I will show it here. Thanks again everyone!