Outstanding Marble Auction June 16Th Cambridge, Ohio

Sorry guys, but I disagree. We get plenty of bidders at our auctions and it only takes 2 interested persons to drive up the price, if it was open to the entire internet or phone, fewer people would actually show up at the auction and would cause the lower valued lots to not get the attention they deserve.

We started these because we wanted to get back to the old style auction, where you show up, inspect them in hand, be the high bidder, we hand you the marble, you pay your bill and take the marbles home. (Remember those days) By the end of the day, everything is finalized! And our consignors get their check within 3 or 4 days.

I've seen many lots bring way more than expected because of the heat of the moment. Here in Ohio there are dozens of auctions to attend on any given day, I go to quite a few and not very many auctioneers accept bids unless you are there. Partly because of waiting for payments, hoping they clear, out of state checks, arranging for shipping charges and shipping the items, only to have the person unhappy because the item wasn't as nice as they had hoped.

There is a reason our auctions are getting better every time, because it's working. If it aint broke , don't fix it.

If we were going to do it any other way, we may as well sell them through Ebay and take away the whole social element. If there is anything you absolutely must have, and there is no way to attend the auction, I would suggest you email me and I can give you contact info for several persons who could bid on your behalf, but all sales are final, and shipping and payment would be totally between you and that person. It is not shill bidding, they are basically buying it and reselling it to you. [email protected]

I agree with Smitty's analysis of live vs. internet auctions. Ebay has caused a huge drop in value in many prized marbles such as lutzes and other handmades. If I bid on a marble and lose, I always say to myself "there will be others like it". I can only remember one live auction in VT devoted to just marbles and that was about 12 years ago, arranged by Mike Wilson. I dropped a bundle but the excitement was mostly what drove the bidding.

Ebay didn't do anything but let people know that the believed rarity of many items was no were near reality. I miss a few of the antique stores and flea markets I used to go to but I now also know I used to way over pay for many items. Heck I remember when any German handmade in an antique store had at least a $30.00 price tag on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to mention in my explanation paragraph above, that we don't charge any buyers premium, we don't charge any sales tax, and there is no shipping fee involved. This all helps the consignor garner more profit in a roundabout way. We charge the consignors 20% of what the marbles sell for. Out of that 20% "WE" pay: the auctioneer, printing, the advertising, mailing flyers, banquet room, hired help, and any other expenses. The consignor receives exactly 80% of what the high bid is. Any funds remaining, go back into the Eagle's Flight LLC account. So, it's not like we are making a fortune.

Also wanted to mention that we do have some bidders that are not on the internet, don't know exactly what some marbles are worth, and don't care. If they like them, they buy them!